2 x 17" toyo proxes £160 fitted can it be beaten ?

Effect

Reaction score
Just had this quote for some new tyres.

I wasnt looking at buying mega tyres this time but the best offer they have after that is 2 x budget tyres for £120 fitted.

I have had toyos in the past and they only lasted 8 months.

Is there something else I should consider or is this offer just too good to miss ?

Apparently Falken 452's are very good. I've not driven with either but there was a thread on about tyres not too long ago and a lot of people were saying the Falkens were really good.

Assuming they are T1-R no. They are a superb tyre, I love it when dealers tell me they are budget tyres, yeah, that's why Mitsubishi fit them standard to the Lancer and all TVR's had them before they went tits up. For all round grip they are amazing and I completed a lot of trackdays in various cars with them, they don't last a huge amount, 10k is your lot but you aint paying Goodyear, etc prices.

I did well with my Toyo's then i managed 20k over 18 months... lots of motorway though.... by far the best wet weather tyre i've ever tried, i'm on some buget ones i've never heard of at the moment (poor funds )... not bad for £210 for 4 fitted the guy at Wheelbase said they have a little less traction than Toyo's but will wear better.... i would say the tyre walls are a little less stiff also as the ride feels a little more comfortable but for my non spirited driving there ideal

dunno bout you but im gonna be looking for some with a thick rubber lip....since changing to RSTT's im curbing the chuffs left right and centre.... never had an issue before and i must be more careful, just its a daily runner and s**t happens :)

I got 2 Eagle F1's GSD3 - 225/45/17 for £170.

Where are you based, as this was a local place to me.

thats good Nilz.... although doesn't camskill work out cheaper? im sure the 18's aren't much more expensive on there fella

where are you based nillz ?

I'm up in a small town called Ashbourne in Derbyshire mate.

oh you have to love selecta tyre's price match promise.

Goodyears are on offer at camskill at the mo at £78.1 inc VAT atm

So car is across the road at selecta tyre atm getting two fitted and balancd for £170.79 RESULT w00t w00t. heh heh heh

Im in Brum, Tim they are cheaper at Camskill, but then you have to pay to have them fitted, which can be an ar5e to get done sometimes!!

Effect (sorry dont know your name) thats a good deal, well done :)

Now, next question, did you put them on the front or back??

not if you quote the camskill price ten quid lower to ya local dealer mate ;)

they think they doin you a favour and add a tenner on for fitting to price match

are you sure those are Toyo Proxes T1-R's at "225/45/17"?

check the widths... some suppliers will take the spec of your car and then supply narrower tyres (much cheaper) and most peopel wouldn;t knwo the difference.

Neither of my normal suppliers stock that size... but then they are on the Toyo catalogue, so they must sell them... very strange as I've always bought T1-R's (and T1-S's) for summer tyres and they always have had any size I've needed (for a BMW E30, Golf Mk2/ Mk3, and Audi A4).

My name is James, mate.

Tyre prices quoted were for the 225/45/17 s mate yeh
Selecta tyre told me they are like a main dealer for Toyo thats why they can offer such a good discount on them.

As for quoting lower prices they wanted proof, I rang them and directed them to the camskill website so there was no getting around the price, especially as the day before when i went in the quoted me over a £100 PLUS VAT for the same tyres, I think to get them at 78.10 INCLUDING VAT is a fantastic result, not bothered about paying £14 for fitting balancing and valves etc.

Tyres have been fitted on the front, and I had a little scare this morning front end let loose going round a corner and had a bit of a wobble on, (lost it on a roundabout last time I had rear tyres changed) something to do with the greasy stuf they put on the tyres to store them.

I am hoping they are ok now I have driven 20 miles on them.

ah, in future try a couple other firms mate or say you've seen it on one site and will be back once you have proof - they may feel compelled to 'not' let you go..... £28 in your pocket is better than theirs ;)

Hey James, yea it is to do with the grease that they put on them, you should just let that wear off before giving it some as you have already learnt..lol..as long as you are ok.

I had my tyres put on the back, as was advised thats where the grip is required, as the front can be handled by the steering wheel and also that the weight of the engine helps the handling at the front.

I think theres a big thing on the Pirelli website about it as well.

I have just had a set of those falken 452's fitted for £136 fitted & balanced 225/45/17 and have been very impressed for the price. Toyos down my way were an extra £60 which i just don't have at the mo.

Try this website if you need some good honest reviews http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/
Its what i used to choose a set of good midrange.