I LOVE MY CAR!!!!

Davsurfa

Reaction score
So having got used to my car with it's 5200 rev limit and the fact that I thought it handled sweet. Then I destroyed the engine and off it went to RSD. Now it's back and it revs all the way through the range and it's a completely different car!! The engine was stripped out, most of it thrown away, and what was left has been honed, skimmed, cleaned, skimmed a bit more and then lots and lots of shiney bits added(I saw it being built on the bench and it was REALLY clean) and fully rebuilt. Now it has the ability to spin the wheels up through to third, and can break traction in any corner with great ease(although now I understand that understeer CAN be bad :scared2:).

Before the rebuild 80mph was reached at about 4700 revs in top but now it get there at about 3800 revs. Bare in mind it's a '98 1.6i and I'm wondering if this is how it should behave? Are the speed/revs normal and should it be able to "wash the front out" so easily??

I was told when I first came on here that the 1.6 suffered from understeer and was underpowered. Power-wise I was happy before but now I'm a lot happier, even though acceleration on wet roads can get "interesting":jump:. Obviously the handling hasn't changed it's that the engine is now working rather than just making noise.

Sounds great. Had to have a replacement engine in my M3 and it too transformed the car. No extra grunt but far smoother and driveable

The gearing can't have somehow been altered can it?

Wheelspin not something i've had for a while!! (Quattro!)

Wheelspin in a 1.6?

In my OH's 1.6 sport, you couldnt pull the skin off a custard. Have they uprated any parts of the engine?

The mad surgeon did say he'd "breathe" on it a bit. I'll be giving the man a bell tomorrow to see exactly what has been done. I didn't think it was capable of doing anything remotely exciting before but now, especially in the wet, it's almost a handful!!
As for the tyres I honestly don't know. I've only had the car 8 weeks and for almost 3 of those it was in the shop.

Wheelspin not something i've had for a while!! (Quattro!)

One day matey, this is my first Audi. Good things come to those who can sell enough junk on ebay to afford one ;)

All this excitement over a 1.6, you are going to come in your pants when you try a 1.8T! :)

LMAO!!!! I've had fast cars and bikes before but it's the difference from the old to the new. I'm really gonna have to speak to the surgeon and see what he's done.

Maybe the dude stuck a twin turbo in it without you realising:icon_thumright:

Have you changed the gearbox aswell or something ??? there's no physical reason why the rpm's would have changed for a given speed unless you had or your speedo was faulty

1.6 2001 owner here, think at 80mph im getting about 4100rpm...

il check on the way home tonight and report back to you tomos fella..

lovin the excitement though...its actually made me embrace my car even though it feels like a sewing machine!!!

think il dry hump it tonight...

Have you changed the gearbox aswell or something ??? there's no physical reason why the rpm's would have changed for a given speed unless you had or your speedo was faulty

I am with ^^him^^

He could have bolted 20 turbos to it, and a 100 shot of NOS and it would make no difference to revs/gear. Only the way it gets there.

As for spinning in 3rd, i would be looking at dropping the tyre pressures from 100 PSI back to 32 ish as i had a 250 bhp A4 that wouldn't break traction in 3rd unless i made a deliberate act to do so

Tyre pressures are at 28 psi all round, no gas bottles are present or turbos much to my dismay. I got the car back on saturday morning and was told to take it easy for about the first tankful so I did just that on sunday. I did look at the tyres today and they are Avon ZZ1's on the rear and Talon GLS on the front(newly fitted when I got the car so I'm guessing the cheapest the previous owner could find). Oh yeah and no the gearbox was fine before hand so I can't see why they'd of touched it.

In which case you are mistaken on the revs. As the engine is mechanicaly joined to the gearbox and in turn the roadwheels, and the lot will roatate at a specific value for a given roadspeed as will the engine.

Tomorrow I'll check it again and take a pic, but I am 100% certain those are the revs it was hitting at that speed. It does seem a hell of a drop in revs. Pooch121 seems to think it should rev a little higher but only by 300 rpm. I'll get the pic up on here as soon as I can.

were not disputing what your getting now... but you may be mistaken on what you used to get.... as already said the speed per rpm dosn't change unless you change the gearing.... you could stick an S3 engine on your gearbox and it will still be the same rpm at 80 mph... the only other thing that springs to mind is if your clutch was slipping before the work was done but it would have to have been really bad and i think you would have noticed

No need for pics, we are just telling you that what you have said is impossible unless the gearing has somehow been changed, by a change of gearbox, diff, larger/smaller wheels or tyres.

No amount of servicing will get you a drop in revs. It will make the car go better and smoother though, so congrats on getting that sorted

No no I understand what you are saying about the wheels-gearbox-engine. The reason I remember the revs before is cuz the car topped out at 100mph at 5200 rpm that's why I originally thought it had a limiter at that. When the engine was ripped out and pulled apart I was told the headgasket replacement before was a "p*** poor" job, the head and barrel were cracked and the valves were "properly knackered" so the first thing that comes to my mind was that it was losing compression. If that was so surely the engine would of had to run harder to make the speed?
I knew there was a problem before it went pop cuz it drank more water than a thirsty camel and the temp gauge never moved till it was too late. Danny the surgeon said he'd got it running sweet then tweaked it a touch. I'm loving it but just really wanna know what has been done, if any, above standard parts, the state of my ECU and how many ponies are spinning my rims. All I know right now is it runs like sh*t off a shovel and I'm loving it :)

No no I understand what you are saying about the wheels-gearbox-engine. The reason I remember the revs before is cuz the car topped out at 100mph at 5200 rpm that's why I originally thought it had a limiter at that. When the engine was ripped out and pulled apart I was told the headgasket replacement before was a "p*** poor" job, the head and barrel were cracked and the valves were "properly knackered" so the first thing that comes to my mind was that it was losing compression. If that was so surely the engine would of had to run harder to make the speed?
I knew there was a problem before it went pop cuz it drank more water than a thirsty camel and the temp gauge never moved till it was too late. Danny the surgeon said he'd got it running sweet then tweaked it a touch. I'm loving it but just really wanna know what has been done, if any, above standard parts, the state of my ECU and how many ponies are spinning my rims. All I know right now is it runs like sh*t off a shovel and I'm loving it :)

I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Last edited:
i used to have a 1.6 a3 before my s3, would wheel spin in 1st and a little in 2nd if you tryed, but 3rd?? never. i miss the a3 in ways, impossible to wheelspin the s3 and its so smooth and torquey the 1.6 did just feel that little bit more exciting at times

haha awsome, might have to sort out my a3 1.6 like u did, like pooch said, feels like a sewing machine.

but i love it!

i used to have a 1.6 a3 before my s3, would wheel spin in 1st and a little in 2nd if you tryed, but 3rd?? never. i miss the a3 in ways, impossible to wheelspin the s3 and its so smooth and torquey the 1.6 did just feel that little bit more exciting at times

Eh? That was said with your tongue firmly in your cheek wasn't it?

It would appear I've made a grave error. I mentioned that an A3, that isn't an S3 or 1.8T, could be fun to own and drive and I even insinuated the lowly car had any form of "performance".
I really should learn my place and refrain from posting anything other than "If only I had a 1.8t or an S3 then I could......"
I do, however have one request, could someone please explain how the AAAI system works? Do they come as standard on 1.8t & S3? Or is it an optional extra? How does it work, is it a dash mounted switch or is it on the key fob? I figure the system is switchable due to some people not using it but it would seem a popular option with most owners of these particular models.

aslong as you love your car thats all that matters mate! i have an S3 and i love it some other people dont like it but thats their problem :)

aslong as you love your car thats all that matters mate! i have an S3 and i love it some other people dont like it but thats their problem :)

Ah I see you don't use the system, nice to hear from you :)

Ah I see you don't use the system, nice to hear from you :)

i can appreciate all cars, except maybe nova's lol im pretty local to you aswell, daventry is only a quick blast down the A5 from me, our group has a hotel there

Having lived with an 1.6 A3 for nearly 2 years (it was my girlfriends), I can say with some certainty that it was neither fun to drive nor fast. A 100bhp 1.6 engine which isnt very revvy or responsive in such a heavy car made it a bit of a chore to drive. This my opinion however. If you enjoy it, then great.

It would appear I've made a grave error. I mentioned that an A3, that isn't an S3 or 1.8T, could be fun to own and drive and I even insinuated the lowly car had any form of "performance".
I really should learn my place and refrain from posting anything other than "If only I had a 1.8t or an S3 then I could......"
I do, however have one request, could someone please explain how the AAAI system works? Do they come as standard on 1.8t & S3? Or is it an optional extra? How does it work, is it a dash mounted switch or is it on the key fob? I figure the system is switchable due to some people not using it but it would seem a popular option with most owners of these particular models.

It's nothing to do with your choice of engine at all, infact whatever engine you had would not be able to change the laws of physics. Thats it, we try to keep the forum as factualy correct as possible to provide a better resource for others.

Thats it ! If you like your car thats YOUR opinion and no one can take that from you, revs will not change due to any of the ork you have had done FACT. The engine may well struggle less to get there though FACT

Maybe we DO need a prefix system between A3 and S3 afterall..... :think:

....... I'm joking of course. :)

Now where's that switch you are on about, mine is missing, maybe it's a facelift model only feature. :):)

Ive got to admit i miss having a FWD car, loved wheelspinning it, also loved it in the wet when hitting a roundabout and not knowing what was going to happen, if it was going to grip or just drift till it gripped :) haha.

Ive got to admit i miss having a FWD car, loved wheelspinning it, also loved it in the wet when hitting a roundabout and not knowing what was going to happen, if it was going to grip or just drift till it gripped :) haha.

I completely agree, i miss my A3 sometimes for the fun factor, the A3 was so much more predictable than the S3, the A3 you could hold in a predictable understeer all day, the S3 I dont always feel as confident...never know when it's going to bite you...lol

pull the handbrake on one knotch so the parking light comes on on the dash and you can have all the front wheel drive fun you like

Not on the pre-facelift's it wont.
Agree though, you dont know when the s3's going to bite, like it did that day to me :crying:

Maybe we DO need a prefix system between A3 and S3 afterall..... :think:

....... I'm joking of course. :)

Now where's that switch you are on about, mine is missing, maybe it's a facelift model only feature. :):)

Indeed I'm of the impression there should be a prefix!! As for the switch I think yours has been deactivated :yes: