Monster MotorsportChris Nott
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 121
  1. #41
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    24,844
    I have to admit that my Passat Diesel is a pretty nippy car with the 1.9 PD unit, it's actually pretty quick for such a big car.


    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!



  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #42
    1animal1's Avatar
    The Clar!! it mouves!!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    9,985
    Ozone killers
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

    Black FZ6 - Turbo car 'slapper'
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

  4. #43
    Mason-A3Sport's Avatar
    Audi Sport

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Newcastle Upon tyne
    Posts
    100

    Diesel

    I am the proud owner of a Audi A3 PD130, Diesels in my oppinion arn't given the credit there due, I'm about to put it into revo and they say they can produce 180bhp and most impressively 300lbs of torque. One of my freinds has the Ibiza PD130 and had his car mapped by p-torque took it for a run at york's quarter mile strip and shoked my other mates astra GSI 2l Turbo running the quarter 0.1 seconds quicker, he always tried to put diesels down now he is wanting to buy one haha. Dont get me wrong im not saying i would beat an s3 but youd be suprised at what the german muscle oil burner can do when you have a heavy right foot just the styling on the 8l chassis s3 is designed to perfection, beautifull in my oppinion. Have big planns for my car this year will be posting a thread soon.
    Last edited by Mason-A3Sport; 21st October 2009 at 13:47.

  5. #44
    www.badger5.co.uk

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    nr Glos
    Posts
    6,939
    I did a remap on an 8P 140PD Audi A3 a few months back, when cutomer dyno'd it it made 185bhp and >300lbft

    drove very well...
    Latest mk6 TD170 Golf I did last week went th ebest of any I have seen yet. rev'd to 6krpm!!!! and pulled well most of the way. Remarkable. Drove very much like a petrol, just more torque everywhere. (and economy too - mumble grumble)
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

    Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

    Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG


    http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

  6. #45
    Essflee's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,995
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    remapped 130pd polo will drive away from a stock s3, and keep up pull away from a remapped one in my experience... dammit..

    devils fuel.. should'nt be possible.. should'nt be allowed - lol - and they're doing 40mpg whilst doing it too..

    ya boo shux


    I'm sorry but I don't buy this, I know you work on and tune these cars but to state a remapped PD 130 will keep up if not beat a remapped S3 is rubbish. In gear times then the diesel will probably have the edge, but going through the gears the diesel wouldn't keep up, I've chased my mates A3tdi in my old A3 and though the diesel pulls initially very well 'on par' as the speed increases the diesel runs out of puff, now my old A3 wouldn't keep with the S3 I have now, no way...
    revo'd

  7. #46
    S3 Nattie's Avatar
    Quattro ist für sissies

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
    dont they tail off quite quickly though? ive always had the thought that diesels were more heavily modified when turbo'd that there wouldnt be as much left for remapping.....and because they were tuned with turbos to turn the normally crappy lump into a decent runabout, then once the turbo tails off, your left with a bogged down pile of metal

    Yep, from my experience with my friends remapped diesels running 180 bhp - 300lb ft of torque. They both run out of puff very early, and their power band is very very short. After 60 - 70 they havent got much left from what ive experienced.

    Great diesels but not a match for a petrol in my mind, even if they do return good mpg.
    For sale

    3" Downpipe and de cat (will be going on ebay soon)
    Autogauge boost gauge
    Chrome Audi Number plate surrounds

    PM for info.

  8. #47
    HotboxDeluxe's Avatar
    automatic

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Heidelberg, DE
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Westle View Post
    It sounds like its time to sell up and get a smoke machine
    Or...stop worrying about what can beat you, and just enjoy your car, which is still fast and doesn't sound like a bus
    Still loving the 130i like the sideways dirtbag I am

  9. #48
    Westy's Avatar
    Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire sometimes Hertfordshire
    Posts
    17,156
    Quote Originally Posted by HotboxDeluxe View Post
    Or...stop worrying about what can beat you, and just enjoy your car, which is still fast and doesn't sound like a bus
    A bus, now there's a good idea for a project
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread







  10. #49
    Olly P's Avatar
    My other cars a mk2 Golf GTi

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    683

  11. #50
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,074
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
    i think you forget the tranmission loss is from standing starts, rolling your gear will be engaged to a large degree and so shouldn't take that much effect when compared a 2wd....id say theres sumat wrong with his car, no Polo out there mapped or not would give you hassle, all apart from the 1.8T of which im unsure what turbo is hitched up....power to weight is defo against ya regardless. Regards the Vectra, theres no way anything except the 3.2 should be giving you any grief, id say you have an issue with your car.
    I think mate you need to chech the Lupo PD Tdi quattro from Profi Tunning from Bratislava, it runs a breathed up pd lump with power to mess with Ferarri's ! I will stick the link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFy83fz7nNQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGO_T...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlD69...eature=related

  12. #51
    1animal1's Avatar
    The Clar!! it mouves!!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    9,985
    yeah but it aint nowhere near standard
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

    Black FZ6 - Turbo car 'slapper'
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

  13. #52
    Westy's Avatar
    Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire sometimes Hertfordshire
    Posts
    17,156
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
    yeah but it aint nowhere near standard
    Yeah there's a slight difference between a 300 remap and 10k worth of race spec engine!
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread







  14. #53
    HotboxDeluxe's Avatar
    automatic

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Heidelberg, DE
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by Westle View Post
    Yeah there's a slight difference between a 300 remap and 10k worth of race spec engine!
    I wish everybody knew that
    Still loving the 130i like the sideways dirtbag I am

  15. #54
    www.badger5.co.uk

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    nr Glos
    Posts
    6,939
    Quote Originally Posted by leggy View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't buy this, I know you work on and tune these cars but to state a remapped PD 130 will keep up if not beat a remapped S3 is rubbish. In gear times then the diesel will probably have the edge, but going through the gears the diesel wouldn't keep up, I've chased my mates A3tdi in my old A3 and though the diesel pulls initially very well 'on par' as the speed increases the diesel runs out of puff, now my old A3 wouldn't keep with the S3 I have now, no way...
    haha... your just so wrong..
    power to weight sir.. wall of torque in a lighter car
    ibiza/fabia/polo with a simple remap will be faster than you think


    I wish it was'nt so.. I really do, BUT

    you are so not going to like the latest diesels either fella.. they WILL ruin your day.

    makes me weap

    S3's are heavy. needs stacks of power to make them feel quick.

    I'm not making a case for diesels, as I am a devout petrol head, BUT to ignore them, when they really do perform so well these days is a little nieve
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

    Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

    Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG


    http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

  16. #55
    s3 Hoggy's Avatar
    Whats going on???

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    1,637

    My Social Networking

    Visit s3 Hoggy's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    I did a remap on an 8P 140PD Audi A3 a few months back, when cutomer dyno'd it it made 185bhp and >300lbft
    My previous car was A3 tdi 140 8p and once I had it remmaped it was a very impresive would pull very strongly up past 100. About 8,000 miles after remap (the car was on about 70,000) the clutch decided it wasn't man enough and gave up
    2002 S3 REVO
    Milltek, Sachs Organic clutch, 007p, Genuine RSTT's, BBS RS2's
    Koni FSD & H&R springs, Neuspeed 22mm rear ARB, KW tie arms
    LCR Brembo's with DS2500's & Paul's 300mm Rear disc kit,
    Michelin Pilot Sport 3's,Badger5 V2.2 Jetex filter & heatshield


  17. #56
    ianysm's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,001
    What about the really good deiesel engines. BMW 335D for instance. Imagine those remapped!
    Current: RenaultSport Clio 172
    Previous: 2001 ('51) S3 Quattro
    Previous: 2001 E46 M3 Coupe
    Previous: 2001 Civic Type R

  18. #57
    s3 Hoggy's Avatar
    Whats going on???

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    1,637

    My Social Networking

    Visit s3 Hoggy's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by ianysm View Post
    What about the really good deiesel engines. BMW 335D for instance. Imagine those remapped!
    Not to mention the new 3.0Tdi audi engines!
    2002 S3 REVO
    Milltek, Sachs Organic clutch, 007p, Genuine RSTT's, BBS RS2's
    Koni FSD & H&R springs, Neuspeed 22mm rear ARB, KW tie arms
    LCR Brembo's with DS2500's & Paul's 300mm Rear disc kit,
    Michelin Pilot Sport 3's,Badger5 V2.2 Jetex filter & heatshield


  19. #58
    dan1973's Avatar
    OCD clean

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    301
    My mate has got a 535d mapped boy oh boy does is goe the torque is something else. Not sure of the figures i will ask him over weekend.

  20. #59
    Essflee's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,995
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    haha... your just so wrong..
    power to weight sir.. wall of torque in a lighter car
    ibiza/fabia/polo with a simple remap will be faster than you think


    I wish it was'nt so.. I really do, BUT

    you are so not going to like the latest diesels either fella.. they WILL ruin your day.
    So a Polo diesel with a simple remap would beat a remapped S3, a remapped mk 5 golf gti, a civic type R and god knows what ever else...

    I'm sorry but I really do find this a little far fetch, but hey you know...

    However, I'll take my chances if the opportunity ever arises...lol
    revo'd

  21. #60
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,064
    A dopey 106 gti was giving me a good race the other day. He wound me up though, i had obvoiusly beat him. So slowed down, but he carried on and undertook me then a lil way ahead slowed down to say as if hed beaten me !. Made me bubble up inside. power to weight im running at 129bhp i worked out. so a 125bhp 106 isnt going to be far off with s3's 210 bhp being 148bhp it was a heap of sh*t though so...

    on desiels ive advised my friend to get a tdi, think hes going for a seat leon 130. he wants a leon fr 130 but believe me they dont do one.

    Badger, you have a seat ibiza, do they do a 1999 2.0l turbo.?
    Last edited by emery1990; 21st October 2009 at 19:55.
    Its gone replaced with a mk2 golf gti 16v :D

  22. #61
    www.badger5.co.uk

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    nr Glos
    Posts
    6,939
    Quote Originally Posted by leggy View Post
    So a Polo diesel with a simple remap would beat a remapped S3, a remapped mk 5 golf gti, a civic type R and god knows what ever else...

    I'm sorry but I really do find this a little far fetch, but hey you know...

    However, I'll take my chances if the opportunity ever arises...lol
    you WILL be surprised.. thats all..
    S3's aint all that despite what owners think of them. they look nice, they are not quick cars.

    remapped S3 is adequate, and a stock one is plain slow... just so heavy for only 225bhp

    lightweight smaller vag cars, as i have already said, polo/fabia/ibiza mk4 all have pd130 models in their range..

    mk6 TDi golf 170 remapped, drove almost like a petrol did, wide power band and huge torque, "just" from a remap. it beggars belief buts true sadly

    diesels have come on a long way.

    says the man who drives a v8 petrol as his daily driver. 19mpg :cry:
    Last edited by badger5; 21st October 2009 at 20:19.
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

    Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

    Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG


    http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

  23. #62
    dan1973's Avatar
    OCD clean

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    301
    This may have already been said but diesels have come on so much over the last few years. I mean look at the 24hr leman race's the diesels are being used now.

  24. #63
    JS1500's Avatar
    Howdy

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Granite house, Granite City.
    Posts
    1,167
    says the man who drives a v8 petrol as his daily driver. 19mpg :cry:
    What would that be, if you don't mind me asking?
    I love V8s!
    2001 Audi RS4 2.7 Bi-Turbo - Nogaro Blue

    1975 MG Midget 1500 - Tahiti Blue

    2003 Audi S3 - Dolphin Grey; SOLD!

  25. #64
    Works 60% the time, Everytime.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    1,577
    Quote Originally Posted by JS1500 View Post
    What would that be, if you don't mind me asking?
    I love V8s!
    Believe its an S6.

    2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

  26. #65
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,074
    Quote Originally Posted by leggy View Post
    So a Polo diesel with a simple remap would beat a remapped S3, a remapped mk 5 golf gti, a civic type R and god knows what ever else...

    I'm sorry but I really do find this a little far fetch, but hey you know...

    However, I'll take my chances if the opportunity ever arises...lol
    From a standing start it will beat them but the s3 will pull away past the 60Mph as the rev range is broader ! I would also see your face after you will be smoked by a small PD engined car in a rolling drag race- from 30Mph-where it matters ! You wont believe the power to ratio and torque the mapped PD lump has ! Horsepower only came into play at really high speeds(past the 150Mph mark) when they are needed to break the wind resistance. On a day to day basis, torque wins races !

  27. #66
    1animal1's Avatar
    The Clar!! it mouves!!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    9,985
    in relation to this diesel question, i had a play with a fabia VRS earlier when in the misus R56 cooper S...... he booted it up my lil drag strip from about 15mph for which i kept with him upto approx 40mph then his car just slowed like i expect most diesels to....i sailed past whilst smoke was emitted from his exhaust (foot to floor ).... thats the PD engine in question isnt it? it would be better mapped but it did run out of puff loads quicker than i expected??? must be why Glen had Forge make him a larger FMIC up perhaps
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

    Black FZ6 - Turbo car 'slapper'
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

  28. #67
    www.badger5.co.uk

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    nr Glos
    Posts
    6,939
    Quote Originally Posted by JS1500 View Post
    What would that be, if you don't mind me asking?
    I love V8s!
    my daily driver is an S6
    previously an S8

    i luv the v8 grunt and sound
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

    Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

    Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG


    http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

  29. #68
    dstructiv's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by leggy View Post
    A polo diesel with a remap will shift, probably have about 180bhp and lots of torque, still I'd expect you to be quicker, could be time for a remap yourself...

    My A3 with 194 bhp was quicker than my mates A3 tdi remapped, so an S3 standard should be quicker also...diesels are quick but they haven't got the power band to follow you up above 60mph when rolling...

    youv obviously not driven an A3 Tdi, mine in fact is a bit lazy up until 50mph after that your cruising at 120 ish easily.. no remap just driven properly...
    i love it when people spout what should and shouldnt happen... if you cant see whats under the hood you cant say... and alot of diesels nowadays will pan petrols hands down...

  30. #69
    Essflee's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,995
    Quote Originally Posted by dstructiv View Post
    youv obviously not driven an A3 Tdi, mine in fact is a bit lazy up until 50mph after that your cruising at 120 ish easily.. no remap just driven properly...
    i love it when people spout what should and shouldnt happen... if you cant see whats under the hood you cant say... and alot of diesels nowadays will pan petrols hands down...

    Its not a case of spouting off pal ! just speaking through personal experiences with friends cars...
    revo'd

  31. #70
    Essflee's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,995
    Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    From a standing start it will beat them but the s3 will pull away past the 60Mph as the rev range is broader ! I would also see your face after you will be smoked by a small PD engined car in a rolling drag race- from 30Mph-where it matters ! You wont believe the power to ratio and torque the mapped PD lump has ! Horsepower only came into play at really high speeds(past the 150Mph mark) when they are needed to break the wind resistance. On a day to day basis, torque wins races !

    I can see you've jumped on this band wagon but you seemed to of contradicted yourself in your post, one minute your saying the diesel would be quicker up to 60mph and then the S3 would pull away, and then your saying that rolling from 30mph 'where it matters' you'd like to see my face as the diesel pulls away...hmmmmmm

    and past the 150mph mark, I'm sorry but you've completely lost me now...lol
    revo'd

  32. #71
    Biggied's Avatar
    They called him mellow yellow.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    202
    Just to add a we note to what Bills saying about the MK6 Tdi being even more impressive, The new Common Rail Diesel Vag units (Mk6 golf & Facelift 8P etc) that have replaced the PD are much better to drive, they rev alot more & have a wider power band so you don't have to be swapping cogs quite as much as in the powerfull PD's, Have a go in a remapped 170 common rail with DSG & U'll be mighty impressed.

    I'm yet to drive any mapped examples but the 3.0V6, 4.0 & 4.2V8 Tdi vag units are just crazy, the feeling of that much torque is somthing only an RS Audi can match. I love the 230hp/500Nm 3.0Tdi B7 A4, I've Smoked many an unsuspecting boy racer in these things (even got caught bloody speeding in one LOL).

    I Know a few people who have been lucky enough to drive the 500hp/1000Nm 6.0 V12 Tdi Q7 (Audi are only letting 100 in the country) From what I'm told its a hole new driving experiance & like nothing else Audi have EVER made, If you ever see one of these just let it past & watch in envy.

    Ewan
    210hp 8L S3 quattro.

  33. #72
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by leggy View Post
    So a Polo diesel with a simple remap would beat a remapped S3, a remapped mk 5 golf gti, a civic type R and god knows what ever else...

    I'm sorry but I really do find this a little far fetch, but hey you know...

    However, I'll take my chances if the opportunity ever arises...lol
    If you think a diesel will run out of power at 60 to 70 then you are mistaken. My works car is a standard 2.0 2009 Golf Diesel and it pulls like you would not believe. Many a shocked powerful petrol car can bear testament. With a re-map it would simply fly.
    My S3 has not got much more than the Golf at all.

  34. #73
    Ash B's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggied View Post
    Just to add a we note to what Bills saying about the MK6 Tdi being even more impressive, The new Common Rail Diesel Vag units (Mk6 golf & Facelift 8P etc) that have replaced the PD are much better to drive, they rev alot more & have a wider power band so you don't have to be swapping cogs quite as much as in the powerfull PD's, Have a go in a remapped 170 common rail with DSG & U'll be mighty impressed.

    I'm yet to drive any mapped examples but the 3.0V6, 4.0 & 4.2V8 Tdi vag units are just crazy, the feeling of that much torque is somthing only an RS Audi can match. I love the 230hp/500Nm 3.0Tdi B7 A4, I've Smoked many an unsuspecting boy racer in these things (even got caught bloody speeding in one LOL).

    I Know a few people who have been lucky enough to drive the 500hp/1000Nm 6.0 V12 Tdi Q7 (Audi are only letting 100 in the country) From what I'm told its a hole new driving experiance & like nothing else Audi have EVER made, If you ever see one of these just let it past & watch in envy.

    Ewan
    Now i'd love to have a go in a 6.0 V12 TDI Q7 bet the torque is on another level!!
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

  35. #74
    Essflee's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,995
    Quote Originally Posted by chancer View Post
    If you think a diesel will run out of power at 60 to 70 then you are mistaken. My works car is a standard 2.0 2009 Golf Diesel and it pulls like you would not believe. Many a shocked powerful petrol car can bear testament. With a re-map it would simply fly.
    My S3 has not got much more than the Golf at all.

    I haven't said a diesel would run out of power after 60-70mph, just th fact that I don't believe a remapped diesel would keep with a remapped S3 after these speeds...

    I'm getting pretty bored with this whole argument, certain people have there opinions and ive got mine, there was a similar arguement on the 8p thread with blokes that have owned both remapped diesels and civic type R's, some said the civic was quicker, some said they were on par, not one post stated that the diesel was ever quicker...

    I appreciate diesel cars and have thougt about one as my next car due to the torque and mpg achieved...So I'd appreciate not being patronized about how great diesel cars are, I'm not naive and I wasn't born yesterday...
    revo'd

  36. #75
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,721
    You'd be very very surprised how quick even a mk5 tdi can be, back when I had my S3 that was revo'd, I'd quite often be shocked at how damn quick those things really could be from a start, of course top end of the mph we'd show the S3 capabilities, but they were damn nippy even against my S3 that wasnt any slouch Leggy, so a mapped tdi wouldnt surprise me whatsoever if it was a challenge to the S3, those new 140's are seriously quick, went in one unmapped & you wouldnt beleive how quick it really could be if driven right, so mapped I can only imagine mate how much nippier it can be also.

    Yeah V12 6.0 Q7 may sound the nuts, but take into account weight, this is what was the big issue with the B6/7 S4 V8, I had the B6 S4 avant & S3's used to give me a hard time, cause of the weight overall, was too heavy really to put it down as such, lovely car but preferred my S3 overall.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  37. #76
    Essflee's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,995
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    You'd be very very surprised how quick even a mk5 tdi can be, back when I had my S3 that was revo'd, I'd quite often be shocked at how damn quick those things really could be from a start, of course top end of the mph we'd show the S3 capabilities, but they were damn nippy even against my S3 that wasnt any slouch Leggy, so a mapped tdi wouldnt surprise me whatsoever if it was a challenge to the S3, those new 140's are seriously quick, went in one unmapped & you wouldnt beleive how quick it really could be if driven right, so mapped I can only imagine mate how much nippier it can be also.

    Yeah V12 6.0 Q7 may sound the nuts, but take into account weight, this is what was the big issue with the B6/7 S4 V8, I had the B6 S4 avant & S3's used to give me a hard time, cause of the weight overall, was too heavy really to put it down as such, lovely car but preferred my S3 overall.

    Yeah Nigel I appreciate what you say, I've got a few friends with various Vag tdi's and I am impressed, hence why I wouldn't mind a diesel as my next car, I know diesels have come on in leaps and bounds and obviously the new ones are even better with a wider power band, which is only going to be a good thing, i to have chased a diesel a3 in my S3 and I was suprised how well it pulled, but like i've stated several times and you've agreed also that they haven't got it top end, maybe the newer ones have but I still would be very confident if the opportunity ever arises...
    revo'd

  38. #77
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,074
    Quote Originally Posted by leggy View Post
    I can see you've jumped on this band wagon but you seemed to of contradicted yourself in your post, one minute your saying the diesel would be quicker up to 60mph and then the S3 would pull away, and then your saying that rolling from 30mph 'where it matters' you'd like to see my face as the diesel pulls away...hmmmmmm

    and past the 150mph mark, I'm sorry but you've completely lost me now...lol
    What i meant is many diesels will spin their wheels from a standing start and with the traction control interfering(unless off) wont have such a good start ! You obviously dont know diesels but i meant "in gear" they have tremendous power as you wont need to rev the nuts out of the engine to go quick as the torque is accelerating the car not the horsepower ! The thing is the PD engine has a small turbocharger to help the engine pull from 1800 rpm without much/if any lag. Thing is the small turbo is on its limits after 120Mph. If you wanna have a play with a tunned diesel-one with a GTV 20+ turbocharger-wich wont run out of puff after 100Mph and will pull all the way to 140 Mph wich means you loose most likely. Any 3.0L+ diesel will give your S3 a good run for your money if you catch it on boost ! I wish i will have a play with you on motorway with me modest tunned a4 (2.5 tdi quattro) wich only has about 220Bhp and about 500Nm of torque. There are'nt many petrol cars wich will out-accelerate a big torquey diesel in gear unless its an s4(bi-turbo) or an rs4/6 or a few beemers with 3.0L+ engines. Also, i might be a newbee on this forum but i am quite an prolific poster (not making me posts out of bulls*it) on vwaudi forum, uk.passats and tdiclub !

  39. #78
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,064
    Course hell get beat. If a petrol car was tuned then i doubt the desiel would win. I was having it with a alfa romeo 159( i think) tdi, after 100mph i started to gain on him, but then if he had a bigger turbo i would of lost

    I just think a petrol would be more fun to drive. desiel for commuting, but what are like going around country roads and tracks etc.
    Its gone replaced with a mk2 golf gti 16v :D

  40. #79
    Essflee's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,995
    Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    What i meant is many diesels will spin their wheels from a standing start and with the traction control interfering(unless off) wont have such a good start ! You obviously dont know diesels but i meant "in gear" they have tremendous power as you wont need to rev the nuts out of the engine to go quick as the torque is accelerating the car not the horsepower ! The thing is the PD engine has a small turbocharger to help the engine pull from 1800 rpm without much/if any lag. Thing is the small turbo is on its limits after 120Mph. If you wanna have a play with a tunned diesel-one with a GTV 20+ turbocharger-wich wont run out of puff after 100Mph and will pull all the way to 140 Mph wich means you loose most likely. Any 3.0L+ diesel will give your S3 a good run for your money if you catch it on boost ! I wish i will have a play with you on motorway with me modest tunned a4 (2.5 tdi quattro) wich only has about 220Bhp and about 500Nm of torque. There are'nt many petrol cars wich will out-accelerate a big torquey diesel in gear unless its an s4(bi-turbo) or an rs4/6 or a few beemers with 3.0L+ engines. Also, i might be a newbee on this forum but i am quite an prolific poster (not making me posts out of bulls*it) on vwaudi forum, uk.passats and tdiclub !

    I've already stated in a previous post about the ability diesels have as 'in gear times'...anybody worth the salt knows these basic facts, the statement i made was accelerating through the gears...

    And who said anything about the 3.0tdi, i'm also fully aware of there capabilties, in standard form they would give a remapped S3 a serious problem, and thats without a remap ...that was never the argument, but as always "some" people like to twist things and blow things out of proportion on these types of forums...
    revo'd

  41. #80
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    115
    I don't think it is twisting things out of proportion. People are just relating their experiences.
    Unfortunately some people seem to feel it an affront to their dignity if anyone suggests a Diesel car (or any different car) is as quick/quicker/nearly as quick as their beloved S3.
    I have an S3 but don't feel the need to get defensive when someone suggests they are not supercar power and that "normal" cars are almost as quick.

 

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO