Cold air feed? What do people think of this?

Looks good, don't think there is space available in the S3 to do that tho. The intake would be where the standard IC is.

Not sure about the A3.

[ QUOTE ]
pure said:
Looks good, don't think there is space available in the S3 to do that tho. The intake would be where the standard IC is.

Not sure about the A3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouild work on the A3 but not the S3 unless you are running a FMIC and remove the passenger side IC.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Audi A3 1.8TS said:
would this be worth doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

certainly no harm in doing this...you wont know unless you try!

I wouldnt cut a huge hole out of the airbox like he has (very bottom pics) as you still likely to suck in hot air from engine bay. I would mix both suggestion on that site... a nice big cold air feed, but into the standard airbox, and then sealed around to ONLY outside air gets in!

I wouldnt put the filter that low as it willg et VERY dirty very quickly, and also the chances of sucking in water are greatly increased. Atleast if the airbox is still present, it has somewhere to go before the intake!

Rich

There is a better airbox mod for the S3 which I am gonig to do when I get time. It involves reusing the old intake pipe that has been sealed on the later S3 airboxes, cutting the hole out again and basically running a cold air feed back to it again.

I am currently data logging the current set up, so that when I eventually get round to doing it I can log wether or not there have been any gains ie. More air getting in, lower temps, increase in power.

After doing it, I am hoping that I can increase and stablise the boost a little more.

i want to run a cold air feed, but do not want to do that. can you but kits, or can anyone tell me what they would use?

Can you buy the tubing?

[ QUOTE ]
Markb said:
Surely that will suck it water and dirt being that low down?

[/ QUOTE ]

NOt as much as you may think.

4.jpg

Mine is pretty low (its lower i that pic cos i removed the support... normally sits about 6" higher.) and i dont get too much crap in the air filter... Im just REALLY careful with standing water.

Rich

GolfTTish (John) has done this on his Golf, but using specially bent stainless steel pipe, IIRC. You really do hear the whoooosh of the turbo and the pssshhhhhht of the DV with this set-up though.

So if those sounds, and people turning their heads at them from 300 yards down the road, is not your thing - then stay away from this mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You can get pre-made metal pipes from some tuning sites in the US - don't have any links with me, but do a search. I'm sure some will turn up.

I think its almost certain the cone filter is going to get wet and covered in debris, in such a position.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
Markb said:
Surely that will suck it water and dirt being that low down?

[/ QUOTE ]

NOt as much as you may think.

4.jpg

Mine is pretty low (its lower i that pic cos i removed the support... normally sits about 6" higher.) and i dont get too much crap in the air filter... Im just REALLY careful with standing water.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah right I see.

I would have thought that it would have been a nightmare for dust and water, but you've proved not.