Reasonably priced?

Nice way to plug your ad, Its reasonable assuming she is mint condition. Some better specced models have sold for significantly less.

seeing it is a cat d. with 76k i would say its worth less.

mine was cat d 10 month after new, only has 36k miles, i would value mine about 6/7

What would u say its worth? i was well annoyed coz i didnt no it was a cat D

OOPS didn't read that far. I honestly wouldn't expect more than 5 K for it. Even if the repair was done 110%, there is a stigma attached to write off cars for some reason.

wow... 5k is a bit low. wasnt expecting that. surely its worth more than that. as it is only a cat d, not a cat c?

Did you have to pass on the info, as you said you dint know? what happens if you didnt and the new owner found out?

Well hopefully someone with more knowledge will brighten your day with better news, thats just my opinion. I have no problems with properly repaired cars as we own one, but lots of people are scared of them, hence you not selling it TBH.
Your current asking price is about right give or take £500 for a car with no bad history etc

i baught it through a 'friend of a friend' and i didnt no, didnt even think, i wanted to advertise it as a cat D because i dont want the agro of someone HPI checking it and asking why i havnt advertised it as one.

Just FYI, a Cat D would get approx 60% of it's non Cat D value in the event of a write off, so I would base my Price around that figure. You might have to drop it a bit more for the next owner to take it on, as in my opinion, your market for selling the car is significantly reduced by it being Cat D in the first place.

Sorry to hear you didn't know it was Cat D, did you not do a HPI check on it prior to purchase? Hope you didn't lose too much money.

Well hopefully someone with more knowledge will brighten your day with better news, thats just my opinion. I have no problems with properly repaired cars as we own one, but lots of people are scared of them, hence you not selling it TBH.
Your current asking price is about right give or take £500 for a car with no bad history etc

Thats sounds good to me byzan, if mine wasnt cat d with 35k should fetch about 12 grand, was minor damage but still cat d, if his is worth that mine must be worth alot more :thumbsup:

well ive dropped it to £5999 hopefully just going to sit it out and see if i get any interest. thank you for all the help guys.

Well, that's interesting views on purchasing a cat d car. Personally if I was buying a car for keeps (at least 3 years), that would not put me off especially if it had all the extras ; the colour was right and mileage was good. This is providing the owner has pictures of the accident which made it a cat d and any other documentation. You have got to remember with part & labour prices these days it is quite easy to write off a car. In fact it's probably not uncommon to have a number of cat-d notices on a car especially on the earlier A/S3s ! Your going to check the suspention and body and so you will have a pretty good idea if the car has been repaired well - whoever who has done the repair. If anything here's an opportuntity to purchase a car for exceptional good value as your bound to negotiate some reduction in the price.
If it has only recently been repaired from a cat-d and put up for sale then I would be worried quite a bit more !

Or you could do what was clearly done to you and keep quiet, Cat D isn't recorded on the V5, I'm interested in how you found out it was a Cat D, I used to work in a salvage yard and it's very rare for a Cat D to be recorded.

Well, that's interesting views on purchasing a cat d car. Personally if I was buying a car for keeps (at least 3 years), that would not put me off especially if it had all the extras ; the colour was right and mileage was good. This is providing the owner has pictures of the accident which made it a cat d and any other documentation. You have got to remember with part & labour prices these days it is quite easy to write off a car. In fact it's probably not uncommon to have a number of cat-d notices on a car especially on the earlier A/S3s ! Your going to check the suspention and body and so you will have a pretty good idea if the car has been repaired well - whoever who has done the repair. If anything here's an opportuntity to purchase a car for exceptional good value as your bound to negotiate some reduction in the price.
If it has only recently been repaired from a cat-d and put up for sale then I would be worried quite a bit more !

Your problems arrive when you come to sell it! I would personally avoid buying a Cat D if I can, and I think many people feel the same when it comes to a high performance car like an S3.

Or you could do what was clearly done to you and keep quiet, Cat D isn't recorded on the V5, I'm interested in how you found out it was a Cat D, I used to work in a salvage yard and it's very rare for a Cat D to be recorded.

HPI check will show it up. As you work in a breakers yard, how can a car be registered as Cat D and not be recorded? It either is or it isn't, am I not right?

As for the keeping quiet bit, I think the OP has been quite genuine in owning up that it's a Cat D which goes some way to making a proper sale. Are you saying it's ok to sell a Cat D car to a buyer without declaring it, but if the tables are turned around, you wouldn't buy it yourself and suffer the censequences right? :tocktock:

HPi check won't show it. Cat D and C can both be unrecorded. I don't pretend to know how it works but we've bought and sold many cars that are insurance write offs but will never show in any search. And to your other point, I was merely playing Devil's advocate. As a private seller you have no legal obligations to tell a buyer about a cars history, only trade sellers do.

Personally I've owned several Cat C and D cars and it wouldn't put me off in the slightest, seeing the damage a car has to have to be a Cat D is a joke, we once had a brand new Lexus in that was stolen/recovered with no damage at all and it went down as a Cat C!

Last edited:
HPi check won't show it. Cat D and C can both be unrecorded. I don't pretend to know how it works but we've bought and sold many cars that are insurance write offs but will never show in any search.

I've seen in the past where the HPi reports have taken months to update, but am I correct in saying, if a car doesn't register as Cat C/D on a HPi report, then you, me and the DVLA will just class the car as normal, so therefore not being in the Cat C/D category. If these reports says it isn't(I know they are not 100%), then we would all assume it's not or never been in an accident right?

And to your other point, I was merely playing Devil's advocate. As a private seller you have no legal obligations to tell a buyer about a cars history, only trade sellers do.

You are right in that there is no obligation to tell a buyer what they are buying, but in the event of being found out, you tend to look silly, which may or may not matter to yourself, but it matters to me.

But in saying that, the car market is a mine field these days anyways, you are not 100% certain what you are buying, despite all these RAC/AA/Hpi checks and reports, you could still be buying a dog of a car, they are not always accurate.

Personally I've owned several Cat C and D cars and it wouldn't put me off in the slightest, seeing the damage a car has to have to be a Cat D is a joke, we once had a brand new Lexus in that was stolen/recovered with no damage at all and it went down as a Cat C!

Completely agree , and it is as per my comments earlier. It's so easy to write these cars off (cat Ds) and for what ?