Red Dash Needles

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Right peep's, does anyone know were i can get some red dash needles like the one's of a mk1 leon cupra from, or any red needles tbh!

Do you want them painted red or actually light up red?

cant really help on the red needle thing but, when i had an 8L, I bought some brushed ally dial rings from german ebay that smartened the clocks up considerably!! They were cheap as chips and a doddle to fit, everyone prob has them already, but I havnt seen them on here...

Ryan

That's weird, my 1.8T sport has red needles that light up red at night, but I like the White needles on the s3's, fancy a swap?? :)

That's weird, my 1.8T sport has red needles that light up red at night, but I like the White needles on the s3's, fancy a swap?? :)

Deal. How would we do it though? haha

If its what I think, then wont work as its an led on the cluster pcb thats different colour mate, given the needle is clear plastic that the led shines up through to give the coloured effect.

Dont get you NHN, why wouldnt it work, all it is is a clear light on the actual instrument that shine's up into the needle's to light them up, if i swap my white one's for red then the red one's will just light up red.

Hmmmm, I dunno about that mate, my needles are red in daylight as well, even when the ignition is off, so it would only take a standard bulb to light them up as red at night? You could be right tho.... Same with the S3's, the needles are White even without being backlit.

Dani- probably best we get this confirmed and then maybe sort something out? ;)

Ah this is what I wasnt aware of, thought his were lit red, not actually red & its possible its also a red led aswell, you need to check led backlights on both before swapping trust me, better safe than sorry guys, its a simple check huh, remove clusters take of front covers, then turn on back in car & have a peek under the dials for day & night headlight on mode

Are the clusters definately led back lit then? I'd be suprised if they were to be honest. Every instrument cluster I've removed from a car, even newer cars than the 8L's have all been backlit with the tiny twist and lock bulbs.

Hmm, my A3 has red needles with blue writing etc...I'd have thought S3's would have been the same...

Yeah mine are white regardless of day or night.
Tbh im not 100% sure how the clocks are lit.

This is weird, my A3 has red needles and red writing? Did they change them to red needles and blue writing on the facelift A3's? What year is your A3 Tom?

Dani- I need to do the dead pixel repair on my cluster so I'll have a look at how the cluster is lit when I do that, if you find out in the meantime and it's all good to do the swap and your up for it, let me know, and vice verse.

This is weird, my A3 has red needles and red writing? Did they change them to red needles and blue writing on the facelift A3's? What year is your A3 Tom?

Mines an X reg pre facelift one. However my mates V reg one has all red dials....and an analogue clock in the cluster on the rev counter.

Think they changed them on pre facelift cars towards the end.

I was wondering about this too, as mines light up red, and the rest lights up blue, although the blue is not as blue as my mk4 golf used to be, that looked the bizz at night, doing the ambient lighting mod next week to add a dash of colour to the gear stick area, mines a 51 plate 1.8 auto.

Be careful AZ, made mine worse. Well mine all lights up red, the numbers are white but with a red backlight.

I've never seen this ambient lighting mod, what does it consist of then? I've got the cubby hole area in front of the gearstick that lights up red on my car. I've also got a strip of tiny red LEDs to go under the footwells which I'm going to wire into the sidelights when I get a chance.

Are you talking about your info display panel dani after you did the dead pixel fix? White numbers but red backlit?

Sorry i went off abit there, i mean be careful if you do the dead pixel repair guide, i tried it and it made mine worse than it was to begin with.

Hmmm, cheers for the heads up mate, I'll have to look into that then....

Well ive posted a link to some white dial mat's, just dont know if they'll fit the a3/s3.

I've never seen this ambient lighting mod, what does it consist of then? I've got the cubby hole area in front of the gearstick that lights up red on my car. I've also got a strip of tiny red LEDs to go under the footwells which I'm going to wire into the sidelights when I get a chance.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=79658

there was a guide for this but cant find the link

the part for the 8l is around £12, i've got a pdf how guide but dont know how to upload it,

Are these the sort of thing your looking for? These are stock on my A3.

GetAttachment-1.jpg

clocks.jpg

Hmmm not to sound condesending but have you tried just going to a scrap yard and buying a set of clocks from any of the models listed above and breaking them yourself? Gotta be a quick cheap option.

Yeah but the scrappy's round here are *****, full of chav cars, is south yorkshire :)

You can try Interpart in Daventry Northants, they have a couple of A3's in and I'm sure they'd post them.

Had a look at mine on the way home last night....Dani, you tellin me you'd prefer red needles to the S3's white glowing ones????