Coilpack rant!

Y83OLK

Hulk Smash!
Reaction score
Hi.
Today, i was driving from Plymouth to drop two friends to Exeter when bang.... loss of power/ juddering.
Knew a coilpack had failed.
Pulled into the next layby, phone the RAC told them the coilpack had died and they said they would send someone out with a coil onboard.

3 1/2 hours later a van showed up, (in the meantime i diagnosed that #4 coil was the cause.)
The RAC man then wanted to diagnose it himself, when i had already told him the fault. After 15 minutes of faffing about, he agree'd it was #4 coil.
Whilst fitting the new coil, he dropped lost a bolt and snapped the retaining clip for the coil...which was nice.

However, he charged me £35 for a fuelpart (cheap crap brand) coilpack. Which would cost me £15 (trade) and a genuine one would cost me £21 (trade) and potentialy washing my bores, damaging my cats.

moral of the story, carry a spare coilpack.:thumbsup:

/rant.

callum

Hi Callum,

Sorry oto hear about your latest woes, finally got mine back from Plymouth Audi today, 3 days to do clutch, but the end result is superb so far.

Nige

eeek, 3 days! My guess is they didnt start it till yesterday. Did you get the DMF changed too?

Things happen.
Other option was tow it home and go get your own coil pack...
i would take the one he sold/fitted and keep that as a spare in the boot pocket and get a gen. one to replace it.

Little pricey for fuelparts! Mind you I've never had a problem with any item from them...

RAC type bods are fools! When my diff seized and the gearbox ripped it apart inside the casing, the recovery bloke said something to the effect of "The driveshaft has just come loose, if I'd brought the right bit with me I could've just tightened it back up."
Or not as I can see the bent, stripped spline bolts on the end of my driveshaft dragging along the road! Hows about you just tow me home to my spare gearbox?

Last edited:
my no.4 went on my S3 just as i left the house the other day. just replaced all 4.(i remember the horrors of breaking down 200miles away from home in my old LCR, not funny!) Should be problem solved for a good while till one or them works loose lol.

mine also went the other week no.1and4 got them all replaced with audi ones but cost me £200 for four fitted a bit expensive i thought just hope they last a while gumball b:s3addict:

i was £140 for 4 genuine ones for my Leon last year. Not got my bill for the recent ones yet. Better not be £200!!!

Yer mine was £150 for fitment of 4 coilpacks and some pipe renewed that had come off and got slashed by the fan.