Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications

Thread: Coilpack rant!

Hulk Smash!

Status

Coilpack rant!

Hi.
    Today, i was driving from Plymouth to drop two friends to Exeter when bang.... loss of power/ juddering.
    Knew a coilpack had failed.
    Pulled into the next layby, phone the RAC told them the coilpack had died and they said they would send someone out with a coil onboard.

3 1/2 hours later a van showed up, (in the meantime i diagnosed that #4 coil was the cause.)
    The RAC man then wanted to diagnose it himself, when i had already told him the fault. After 15 minutes of faffing about, he agree'd it was #4 coil.
    Whilst fitting the new coil, he dropped lost a bolt and snapped the retaining clip for the coil...which was nice.

However, he charged me 35 for a fuelpart (cheap crap brand) coilpack. Which would cost me 15 (trade) and a genuine one would cost me 21 (trade) and potentialy washing my bores, damaging my cats.

moral of the story, carry a spare coilpack.

/rant.

callum

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Hi Callum,

Sorry oto hear about your latest woes, finally got mine back from Plymouth Audi today, 3 days to do clutch, but the end result is superb so far.

Nige
    1999 Audi S3 Superchips remap, Forge 007p, Phatnoise, Black Diamond Discs & DS2500 pads, N249 Deleted, Badger 5 TIP, Poly dogbone bush, Bilstein B8's and Eibach Springs.

1986 Audi Coupe Quattro 2.2 restoration project

Hulk Smash!

Status
    eeek, 3 days! My guess is they didnt start it till yesterday. Did you get the DMF changed too?

6th Gear

Status
    Things happen.
    Other option was tow it home and go get your own coil pack...
    i would take the one he sold/fitted and keep that as a spare in the boot pocket and get a gen. one to replace it.
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

Spooly Spooly Boosty Boosty!

Status
    Little pricey for fuelparts! Mind you I've never had a problem with any item from them...

RAC type bods are fools! When my diff seized and the gearbox ripped it apart inside the casing, the recovery bloke said something to the effect of "The driveshaft has just come loose, if I'd brought the right bit with me I could've just tightened it back up."
    Or not as I can see the bent, stripped spline bolts on the end of my driveshaft dragging along the road! Hows about you just tow me home to my spare gearbox?
    Last edited by Keeno; 17th October 2009 at 00:51. Reason: fat finger typing!

4th Gear

Status
    my no.4 went on my S3 just as i left the house the other day. just replaced all 4.(i remember the horrors of breaking down 200miles away from home in my old LCR, not funny!) Should be problem solved for a good while till one or them works loose lol.

[OLD SKOOL CRUISER]

Status

ciilpack rant

mine also went the other week no.1and4 got them all replaced with audi ones but cost me 200 for four fitted a bit expensive i thought just hope they last a while gumball b

5th Gear

Status
    200 gees.!
    Its gone replaced with a mk2 golf gti 16v :D

4th Gear

Status
    i was 140 for 4 genuine ones for my Leon last year. Not got my bill for the recent ones yet. Better not be 200!!!

5th Gear

Status
    Yer mine was 150 for fitment of 4 coilpacks and some pipe renewed that had come off and got slashed by the fan.
    Its gone replaced with a mk2 golf gti 16v :D