Possible coilpack issue ?

Sean_S3

Reaction score
Hello everyone. The S3 has been behaving erratically today doing all sorts of weird things. The car seemed very hesitant when hitting 3k in third and seemed to stutter before pulling. And then the change from 4th to 5th at around 4k saw a massive jump in the revs similar to the problem with the clutch switch. Anyway when i got home i plugged vagcom in and checked for faults. No faults were recorded but cylinder 1 had logged 1 misfire. Also noticed a small pool of fluid had dripped from the exhaust and possibly more smoke coming from the exhaust then usual although i cannot be certain that the cold weather hasn't brought this on.

If looked at a few threads on coil packs and i was wondering if any of these symptoms could be the cause of a dodgy coil. The car has recently been remapped and i know they can be temperamental with the extra power. The car is on 73k and was serviced last month.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Sean.

Is your engine management light on, thats normally a sign that the coils on its way, if you have had a misfire showing on a coil via vagcom, then sounds like it is that, best thing to do is change all four of them, I know it sounds a bit drastic/expensive, however, if 1 goes, the other soon will as well, and also make sure you get the genuine ones from Audi as the cheapo ones are JUST not as good.

Hope that helps.

Even if its not a coil.. buy one and keep it in the car somewhere. the AA/ RAC will overcharge you to supply one if you have to call them out.

Thanks for the replies. Theres no engine light on and the problem seems to have it disapeared for the time being. I had it booked in at a local independant garage this afternoon but i will have to cancel since the car is showing no Recognaisable symptoms. I was quite worried as the turbo was audiable from as little as 1000 rpm when it is normally closer to 2000 rpm and it was holding back quite alot when accelerating but the car was fine yesterday. I will keep a colse eye on it and see it anything comes back.

Thanks for the advice i will get a few spares coil packs for the future. Do GSF stock the genuine replacement. Theres one not far from where i work.

I think GSF do stock them, best to give your nearest one a quick bell and see...