Which Indiction Kit To Buy For a S3

katanwara

Reaction score
Hi guys, i know you normally suggest i do a search which i did but all the posts are very old. I just wanted a bit of advice or recommendation as to what air filter is good on the market to buy for my S3 210bhp

cheers guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

personally i dont like them.

A. the S3 gets so hot under the bonnet with the turbo, even more when chipped, Sucking in that hot air is a big no no.

Ok you can route a duct to the front bumper for a cold air feed, but the ammount of standing water ive seen in the middle of our summer, with these flash down pours would put me off.

I drove to work the other day, and must have been in over 3 inches of water for 15 miles!

Sucking in water through a cold air feed duct would also be a big no no.

B. most, unless you get a stainless ones contain oil, which could/can/still under debate... damage the MAF

The audi paper one is actually very good. I just change it every 10 K miles for £8, and its good for 275 bhp (rolling roaded)

Yeah to be honest, it has been shown in the past that swapping the air box for an aftermarket induction cone doesn't give any benefits.

I have just swapped out the panel filter for an ITG equivelent. Slightly differnt induction noise but no performance gains.

The CAI that Rich sells is supposed to be very good and give a good induction note. A few people have them fitted here, I have seen 1 and they look good in the engine bay too.

Here's another thumbs up for the unthinkable:
Stick with the factory airbox!

I've tried a K&N panel filter...and it give nothing by way of gains - dyno proven.
As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't even feel any faster - although others will tell you they noticed a difference.

As for induction kits: like Paul says...they only suck in heat, add noise and slow throttle response. I've never seen proof that they work - not independantly proven results anyway, and as we all know, tuners can make thier own RR print-outs show whatever they want.

The sucking in hot air is a major issue for a car thaqt has mediocre (at best) intercooling as standard - you really do need to keep that inlet air cold - something an induction kit doesn't do...unless it's of the shrouded type like the Taipan - in which case aren't you bettrer just sticking with the original airbox that fits properly?

My advice, stick to standard and open up the cold air feed to it...it's good enough for nearly 275BHP / 330lb-ft on my S3.

It just doesn't sound like a Saxo with an induction kit, or make an overly loud 'whoosh' when I change gear - which I'm happy about.

HI there,

Do the aboce comments relate to the BMC carbon dynamic airbox to?

Ants

[ QUOTE ]
antsS3 said:
HI there,

Do the aboce comments relate to the BMC carbon dynamic airbox to?

Ants

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a better design, just like the Quickshift Taipan that Rich sells...
But there's still no proof that you get anything but noise off them.

To me they are just expensive engine bay jewelry that only adds a noise I can do without...i'll be sticking to my tweaked standard airbox.

All I've done is remove the standard small air inlet to the airbox from the inner wing and fit a 100mm duct from the front vent in the bumper that normally feeds the passenger side IC. It helps that I have a FMIC and have the space to get a 100mm duct in!

Not that it adds any power though...I dyno'd it to see..

There's nothing wrong with the standard airbox...and a K&N filter adds nothing either, either on the dyno or on the road!