S3 advice please

V5Ade

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I've been really pleased wwith my A3, so I'm now thinking about adding an S3 to the family (bye bye V5 Golf!). I don't know much about the cars, so I would be very gratful for some advice.
I will get a 2-3 year old model.
Do they all have Recaro seats?
Is DIS standard on an S3?
Is there anything that I should look out for on a 25-35k mile S3?
Thanks in advance,
Ade

check the for sale in this section. Also ebay has quite a few good ones up for sale. They all have recaro's but alcantara is an optional extra then leather.

Thanks guys!
I pleased about the DIS and Recaros as they are my 2 fav things in the Golf.
I will be getting it from a dealer, as I want to trade teh Golf.
Just onw more question (for now), when was the face lift?

Thanks, I will keep make sure that I get the face lifted version, and I will try for a 225 model.

[ QUOTE ]
V5Ade said:
Thanks guys!
I pleased about the DIS and Recaros as they are my 2 fav things in the Golf.
I will be getting it from a dealer, as I want to trade teh Golf.
Just onw more question (for now), when was the face lift?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get a facelift on any S3 built in the last quarter of 2000. You see many X plate 2000's as facelift models (i've had 2 X Plates Registered Oct 2000 which have both been facelifts).

Basically the last quarter 2000 cars are actually 2001 models which is when the facelift models come out. As for the 225bhp, not sure when they came out but it doesn't really matter to be honest because as far as I am concerned you cannot tell the difference between the 210 and the 225. I've driven both and they feel the same! There was also "that rumour" that 210bhp's S3's were actually producing 225bhp from the factory and it was only a marketing stunt to make it sound slower than their flagship 225 Audi TT!.

hope this helps
Rich.

The 225bhp came in as a 2002 model update, so some last quarter 2001 were 225. Mine was registered in Oct 2001 & is a 210bhp!

I don't believe that the 'just marketed as 210bhp' is true as I have seen some 210 cars tested at closer to 210 than 225 before any tweeks!! .... but you never know!! I'll find out when I finally get my 210 RR'd! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Guys, thanks very much for all the intresting info.
I will be a bit wiser when I visit the dealership at the weekend.

Mines a 210 on a august 02plate think it rolled off production line somewhere around 4th jan 02 according to records.Not sure of bhp but will be finding out as soon as i've got the pennys saved for chiping cant wait.Saying that it kept up with a 225tt flogging it down a19 a couple of months ago and was carrying a fair bit of bagage in boot and in passenger seat(best not tell her that though).

I don't think that I can stretch to a 225 then, as the car that I'm looking at is a Feb '02.

What is making the decision really hard is that I have been offered a brand new 225 Leon Cupra R for £1400 less than the nearly 3 year old S3.

I haven't driven an S3 yet, will it be much better than the Cupra R that I test drove today?

You can get 225's before i got mine just have to look out for what you want.Been told leon's are good to drive just the same to look at dashboard wise,i also looked at them but feel in love with s3 although bank balance doesnt love me to much since but it was worth it.

[ QUOTE ]
chucky said:
You have ro realise its just not the bhp difference its all little tweeks around the car like standard 225bhp have a strut brace /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif like mine

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. I don't want to buy a car that I have to mod to make it handle. The 225's seeem to be the better car however I can't really justify spending the extra money to get one (one have to draw a line somewhere and I ddon't want to spend a penny over £18,000).
I'm affraid that I will probably order a Leon Cupra R today (but I will still have the A3 tdi, so I hope that I will still be welcome here).
Thanks for all your advice guys, it's helped me make an informed decision.

It's not just the 225's that have a strut brace as my 210 has one too. It is a 2002 model though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Also for £18k your gonna get an damned good S3 prob about a 2003 but I suppose it depends on how new a car you want and where you would buy from as you'd only get a 2002 from a dealers for that money. The other thing to consider are residual values as you'll probably lose more on the Seat that you would on the S3. Best of luck whichever way you jump /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Mike said:
I too am amazed at that!

Jojo...............so you do not have either of the upper or lower front braces?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I have the lower strut brace, thats the bar thats in the way when you change the dogbone mount right? Upper strut braces were only standard on S3's with the facelift models IIRC.

I've been pondering about the idea of fitting the upper strut brace, as they are not expensive from Audi themselves. I think Bingo from this forum had one fitted himself, and Drill has documented on how to fit, but I don't have the balls to drill into my beloved S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif . AmD can can supply and fit for around £175 + VAT, so maybe thats another option.

[ QUOTE ]
neil.c said:
I have an upper strut brace on my 99 regd s3 which was fitted on the car when it was delivered new.

[/ QUOTE ]

B@stard! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just checked...........my mate def has one on a 99 S3.

The brace from Audi costs about £30 and would say it would be a worth while investment Jo.

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Mike said:
Just checked...........my mate def has one on a 99 S3.

The brace from Audi costs about £30 and would say it would be a worth while investment Jo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... something else to spend money on, but I won't be fitting it myself, so do you reckon £175 + vat sound reasonable?

That is £205 all in to fit a strut brace............a bit expensive, but if it gives you peace of mind going through AMD do it mate.

I reckon it would improve handling a lot as Audi made it standard equipment eventually or from your car onwards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif for the S3

My old 99T S3 didn't have one. I just thought after 2001 in the new model they put them on.

V5 You can buy a 225 S3 for £18k check out the dealerships and autotrader.