Custom turbo back exhaust

S3 Nattie

Quattro ist für sissies
Reaction score
Hi guys, went to a very respectable exhaust shop by me to price up a 3 inch turbo back with de cat. Milltek want £1100 to just supply a 2.75 inch system. This place for a custom system wants £620 including everything.

Few friends got a system from this place and his work does look top class. Started 2 threads on local forums and everyone highly recommends him. What you guys think about that price and for what il be getting. His performance quote were bit high though, 20 bhp he think without a map.

Thanks Nathan

The power gains are balls, but the price doesnt seem too bad.
Mine from the cat back cost £250 (easy job). Turbo back is a lot more fabrication so seems alright ish to me.

T

lol was waiting for you Tom. Ye thought the same thing about the power gains, trying to sell himself maybe but I didn't take any notice of this.

IIRC he said he charges £89 for a de cat. He said it will be 3 inch all the way through with 2 silencers. A friend had 2 silencers but removed one because it was to quiet he said. I still find his car quite quite lol but his aint decatted I dont think so may be why. What would you recommend about silencers.

Well I dont like loud cars so I have 2 cans in mine. I only had one at first but it was too loud for me. The 1.8T's a pretty quiet engine to be fair from what the lad said to me but I popped back for another can to be put in mine. Its fine for cruising around in, just sounds deeper than standard. When you give it beans though it does liven up a bit but its certainly not too loud or raspy etc...just deep. I get the odd pop etc between gear changes but its nothing too bad.

Do miltek even do a full turbo back system? Thought they didnt do a DP for the ko4.

Have a look on ebay Dan. Few shops selling full Millteks systems. Spoke to Milltek on the weekend and the said they have now stopped building downpipes for the 1.8t but there are still a few companys which still have stock.

I agree the 1.8t is a quiet engine. Heard a Milltek cat back on the weekend and I thought it was pretty quiet. Well he said a 3 inch system with one silencer would be to loud so will stick with 2. I want a quiet system when cruising but opens up nicely when floored.

What diameter cat back you got as he quotes 250 for a 2.5 inch cat back. He was saying the for a 3 inch system its CNC machined into shape and not compressed bending as he would do for a 2.5 inch system.

I had the miltek first an then went bt on my old s3, with 3 inch custom blue flame job and i regretted it so much the sound of it made me sick drowning at low speeds an when idling

Thanks for the info. The person doing the system said it wouldnt be drowning and be fairly quite at normal speeds.

It was probably like that on yours because you had a BT setup.

The secret to not being droaning is having a really big transverse back box.
Miltek for the golfs and 18Ts, drwadfully dronay, miltek or s3 and a3 quattro, qiet as a quiet thing.
Even just with the S3 rear box, no other boxes, the miltek is quiet on my BT s3. Yet my old golf with K03sport and 4mo style rear box droive you flipping bonkers!

So if you go custom, make sure he does a large transvers rear box behind the bumper and you should be ok. Pipewerx also use this style of box on their S3 systems and thier stuff is ace.

Thanks alot for that info. Il suggest that to him next time im down there.

Having second thoughts on a 3" system and thinking about a 2.5" tubro back now. What would you guys recommend and why for a stage 2 map please.

My pipewerx system does not drone. It has a silencer running across the back plus a smaller one near the front. Definitely helps engine rev freely. Fit and workmanship spot on. Def recommend

see if u can get a group buy going on them, get a few quid of them, im sure if he got 5 people he could knock a bit of cash of

I was looking at asking MIJ as they had adeal running via Ryan for S3/A3 exhausts, not sure if it covered the B5 or not. I asked Nath in case he using some one more local than Brum

Im going to be using Prospeed as I havent read anything but praise for them. They are in Cardiff and less than 5 min from me. Any recommendation on sizes guys.

8pot what size was your turbo back system.

Thanks. Was only wondering as some says its only necessary for a 3" system on big turbo engines.

could you just upgrade the downpipe and connect it to a standard exhaust and see power gains and a freer spinning turbo? well enough for a stage 2 anyway?

Its not the money side of things that worries me just the horror stories of the exhausts not fitting properly and rattling!!

Well a full turbo back system is needed for a stage 2, main difference between stage 1 and 2. Im not worried about fitting and welds etc. From the feedback ive got from other forums and friends the place I will be using at top.

It is 3" all the way to the back. Reason I went for this over 2.5" was relativeley small addition in price, plus it will be fine for if I modify my engine more.