Ongoing Alarm/electrical issues UPDATE

Westy

Reaction score
Ok as some of you will know i've been having some weird things happening ever since I bought my S3 last November.

The alarm has never armed and VAGCOM has never showed a fault with it. I have also had central locking stop working then start again and interior lights going on and off when they shouldn't.

I had my central locking pump changed last month and this didn't cure any of the issues I had so 4Rings came back today to have another crack. I also had my rear arb changed and my wishbone bushes. The guys turned up at 10am and have only just left just as puzzled as they were last month. We do believe we have a breakthrough though!!! After some digging about in VAGCOM we noticed that the central locking pump thinks that my S3 has 4 doors and the rears being open!!!!!! This is stopping the alarm from arming and messing up my interior lights. The guys tried a few different varients of coding on my pump but they cant clear the 4 door issue!

Has anyone got any idea be it stupid or not as to how I might be able to sort this issue out. It looks like one of the previous owners may have replaced the pump with a 4 door a3 or something.

Yeah looks like it but Steve thinks I also have some sort of a wiring issue that is causing my front passenger speaker to be very faint and also for my DIS to display both doors open when only the passenger door is actually open. Both these faults go away when he unplugs part of the circuit from the breaker.

This is just becoming a pain now as 4rings are stumped and have made 3 visits to me now.

Can anyone with VAGCOM check something for me please:

If you go into the central locks module and logging then select channel 1 you should see 3 numbers in a row that will either be "0" or "1".

If you sit in the car with all doors closed it should read 000 if you open either of the front doors you should get 010 and if you open the bonnet at the same time you should get 011.

Now that first 0 is apparently for the rear doors which my S3 clearly doesn't have yet I get a 1!!!

If someone can just confirm that they get the right readings when they open and close their doors would be a great help.

whats the module part number please & the coding used.

Dude that part number isnt even for the A3 anyway, shows as for the A4 avant & A8 at my 1st glance, I will check further but of course both cars are 4 doors & if its for different chassis then it could cause all kinds of issues with car systems, is your old unit functional to a degree or dead, cause could stick back in & then test to see if the new issues go away 1st.

What was old part number?

Er great that sounds excellent!

My old details were as follows but I dont have the pump any more!

Address 35: Centr. Locks Labels: 8D0-862-257.lbl
Part No: 8D0 862 257 E
Component: CV-Pump, Alarm, RC D17
Coding: 15178
Shop #: WSC 01236

Uh that one also shows for the A4 avant range including the rs4, maybe this is the route of all your problems mate, wrong ****** controller in the 1st place.

Your car for 02 seems to indicate you need 8L0862257M, tbc by checking with audi with ur VIN mate.

Now there is listed also but doesnt denote with remote functions but is 8D0862257 with no ending letter, see something familiar here, lol.

Same parts for 2 or 4 door mate & you of course code car for what type it is.

Someone a while ago when I first noticed these problems said I had a funny part number!

I got a new pump from a member called Olds_Kool (Kev) on here and he recons pumps and sells them and he said that a lot of the parts were shared among the models and it was all down to the coding!

I might contact him and see if he will swap it back for an S3 par number.

What part number should I be looking for.

I'll give the stealers a bell tomorrow and see what part number range I should have then get in contact with Kev and see if he'll be so kind as to do a trade as I only bought it off him a month ago.

Nigel you're a star for spotting this as the 4rings guys have 20 years combined audi experience and neither of them spotted it!

Someone a while ago when I first noticed these problems said I had a funny part number!

I got a new pump from a member called Olds_Kool (Kev) on here and he recons pumps and sells them and he said that a lot of the parts were shared among the models and it was all down to the coding!

I might contact him and see if he will swap it back for an S3 par number.

What part number should I be looking for.

As I said mate at 1st glance it shows wrong part number in etka, audi would supply you the one in etka as mentioned & yes it is possible they share the same parts internally, usually if for example a B5 & 8L share the same parts then its the same number aswell, but that doesnt mean a different part number wont work, as my mods have shown me

I'll give the stealers a bell tomorrow and see what part number range I should have then get in contact with Kev and see if he'll be so kind as to do a trade as I only bought it off him a month ago.

Nigel you're a star for spotting this as the 4rings guys have 20 years combined audi experience and neither of them spotted it!

Cant comment on them trbh but you'd think with 20yrs under there belt it would teach them to at least check the part number aswell mate, 1st thing I would check is part number then go from there, always do this then check for alternative versions.

Nigel check this thread where Haglos has exactly the same part number as me:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=67352&highlight=vcds+scan

Maybe I should try using the coding he has???!

Well after viewing this I checked the label file & it does indeed show a redirect to the 8D0 label file so it would appear they are shared so its possible your module will work, check codng from this.

C00,Central Locking Pump (V94) Coding
C01,+00001 = Rear Lid Opening via Rear Lid Lock
C02,+00002 = Anti-Theft Confirmation via Blink
C03,+00004 = Selective Locking
C04,+00008 = Anti-Theft-System
C05,+00032 = Locking via Speed
C06,+00064 = Comfort Closing via Remote Control
C07,+00256 = Rear Lid Logic
C08,+00512 = Remote Control "Close" Confirmation (1x Blink)
C09,+02048 = Door/Window Logic (USA)
C10,+04096 = Remote Control "Open" Confirmation (2x Blink)
C11,+08192 = Remote Control

What other errors you got overall?

Just checked the coding and its the same as mine but with the 1 touch feature and the Autolock over 15mph feature enabled!

The plot thickens!

Ye checked coding & doesnt seem way of, try just adding up C11 & C4 & then test for any issues.

Have you tried just coding it the same as the original unit?
15178 instead of 13130. that you currently have

Missed that bit, but that would be a weird one if needs usa logic to work properly.

Thanks again nigel. I don't have any errors as such when I scan with VCDS but I do have the following symptoms:

- interior light goes out when the front doors are open
- alarm won't arm at all
- indicators don't flash when locking the car
- vcds says I have rear doors that are open

oh and how do I add up the above codes? I've been using that "basecode" application that works it out for you but it on has the one touch, anti hijack, honk horn when arming alarm, and remote windows features

interesting thread, i suspect you have a wiring fault somewhere as ive never come across coding for number of doors but have pulled pumps from four door cars and fitted them to 2 doors (i code all remote pumps as 13130) without problems
this would suggest doors input directly to the pump control unit somehow, ill see if i can dig out a wiring diagram and see
the only pumps ive come across fitted to post 98 ish A3's are 8l0 'p' and 8d0 'e' never come across an 8l0 'm' on any car and i suspect its american or european use only

Thanks for your input keV. So the code I currently have has never caused you any issues?

4rings think I have some kind of wireing issue too as my passenger door speaker has now packed in plus the dis thinks both front doors are open when only the passenger one is. Also my interior locking button on the drivers door only works when the engine is off!

What a nightmare.

Thanks again nigel. I don't have any errors as such when I scan with VCDS but I do have the following symptoms:

- interior light goes out when the front doors are open
- alarm won't arm at all
- indicators don't flash when locking the car
- vcds says I have rear doors that are open

I have 2 possible ideas both of which could cause these issues:

Door contact switch faulty, thus would show as door open when its not, possibly could be causing other issues, like wouldnt allow locks to work properly & alarm wouldnt work properly, thus no blinkers on lock

Other idea is door wiring has breaks in or has come unplugged somewhere given the very coincidental thing of the door speaker stops working.

the only pumps ive come across fitted to post 98 ish A3's are 8l0 'p' and 8d0 'e' never come across an 8l0 'm' on any car and i suspect its american or european use only

Ah possibly clearer now, the 8D0862257 shows a big note saying "this pump can be adapted with vag 1551 to any equipment version!" so I assume from this you actually set the version of module with VAS to say an E as E doesnt exist in etka at all, from this I think its possible

Last edited:
Ok I just went and tried the following codes which are both S3 base codes with no features:

Neither made any difference to any of my problems. The "100" is still displaying so I need to find out how the back doors tie into the pump so I can try to disable them!

Kev, any luck with those wireing diags?

Did you even consider checking the doors as I suggested mate, remove door cards & check wiring through doors & to the pillars

I only got my cable back this morning and i'm at work so just did the coding in my lunch break. I didn't fancy dismantling the door in my suit in the rain :moa:

I wont get time to have the door card off till the weekend but I will have a go and check the breakers and wiring.

Ok I had the door card off earlier and checked the wiring. I couldn't find any breaks and all wires were securely in their blocks and all contacts were good. These were my findings:

1 - I unplugged the 3 block connectors, a 2 pin, a 3 pin , and a 5 pin connector. I plugged in my VAGCOM and noticed that the door status doesn't register with these connectors unplugged, however the DIS does!. Not sure if this is a problem or not?

2 - The DIS is showing that only the passenger door is open when its open and closed when its closed. This works fine until I plug the 3 pin connector back into the door card then it shows both front doors open on the DIS! Now to me this tells me that the door lock sensor is working fine and that there is a wiring issue with the door card connectors.

3 - I had a rattle in my passenger door which i've always had and though was a screw rolling about. It turned out to be abourt 15 pieces of broken glass! Looks like the window has been smashed at some point in the past!

4 - My passenger door speak is completely dead so I checked all the connections to that and I cant see an issue anywhere either. Next weekend I'll attempt to swap it over with the drivers speaker to make sure that the speaker itself is ok.

I wanted to remove the whole door lock component and attempt the soldering trick that I read about in another thread. Unfortunately the only start socket that I needed to remove the lock was rounded off! Mission aborted.

I dont even know where to go from here now and i'm hoping that 4rings come up with a solution.

I had a thought and wondered if it could be possible!

My passenger side has been resprayed before and I found a load of glass in the door when I removed the door card the other day. My guess is that either the car has been crashed into or vandelised at some point!

Could it have been possible that a door from an 4 door A3 was used to repair the damage? The 4 door passenger door would then contain the relay for a 4 door car therefore making the ECU think that my car has 4 doors.

Is this possible or are the A3 and S3 doors completely different?

I think i'm just stabbing in the dark at the moment but there you go.

Front doors from an A3 4 door are wayyyy smaller than ones from a 3 door.
Unfortunatley im clueless about your fault and feel for you as it sounds like you've got some very annoying faults that are probably being caused by something very minimal. Good Luck

Front doors from an A3 4 door are wayyyy smaller than ones from a 3 door.
Unfortunatley im clueless about your fault and feel for you as it sounds like you've got some very annoying faults that are probably being caused by something very minimal. Good Luck

Ah yes of course they are, how stupid of me. I told you I was stabbing in the dark!

My next port of call is to strip the door lock this weekend, hopefully that'll be the issue.

Ok another update:

I removed both door cards yesterday to eliminate any wiring problem that might be in them. With them removed the DIS is working fine with just the locks so I now definitely suspect the lock or wiring between the alarm module and the door locks. Alarm still not working and I didn't get time to take out the whole lock, I will do this next weekend.

My quiet speaker is some sort of wiring issue in the door card as I swapped the speaker with the drivers door one and it works fine. I also traced the block connectors in the door card and found that the puddle light connector is causing the issues to my DIS.

2 Pin Connector = door lock leds
3 Pin Connector = Puddle lights
5 Pin Connector = Speakers

I also now have the wiring diagrams thanks to Dean at 4Rings so i'm trying to work them out :think:

This Sunday I stripped the whole lock out and gave all the wiring connectors a good blast with WD40, still no progress though!

The switch in the door lock was working perfectly fine and with the switch and door card disconnected VCDS is still detecting rear doors, so its safe to rule out the door card and door lock.

This problem is starting to annoy the hell out of me know so I think I might have to bite the bullet with this problem and go to Audi for some over priced diagnostics!

Picked up my car from 4 rings today after leaving it with them for the whole of last week to fix my ongoing issues. Dean had to strip half the car to get at the loom to diagnose and finally found the cause of the problem in the dash wiring.

It turns out their was a wire that was shorting to earth and was sending conflicting messages to the ecu about the door status. The ecu thought the doors were permanently open so wouldn't arm the alarm.

My speaker issue turned out to be an issue with my Bose amp so I'm now on the hunt for a replacement.

I can't thank 4rings enough for their efforts in resolving this issue. Dean spent about 15 hours on the car over last week and worked upto 21:30 last tueday! I can't recommend them enough, cheers guys

Damn bet that cost a fair bit to fix