best Alarm systems

RichA3Turbo

Reaction score
With all my current upgrades that im doing, i think it would be worth my while upgrading the alarm in my A3 to something a bit better... Quite like the idea of one of those ones that text/page you if a sensor it triggered...

Anyone got any recomendations?

Cheers

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Yaseen said:
Rich

Clifford is best choice- I love mine, and remote start comes handy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I had mine installed but then added other things which I got off Ebay which an authorised Clifford installer was happy to do, might be more worthwhile buying the alarm and paying someone who is insurance approved to fit it. (or getting a lower model and upgrading)

eg Intellistart when I got it was £200 fitted in the same shop, I bought it £80 and they fitted for around £30 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool.

Will speak to the local dealer and see what they have to say/offer.

Cheers

Rich

Rich....

in all honesty I personally wouldnt spend a lot on an alarm. If its gunna be nicked its gunna be nicked. At the end of the day they would probably just get your keys anyway.

BUT IMO there are better ways than a fancy alarm.

for example.....

1. Disklok £80

(takes 5 mins for a pro to get off but that is quite a delay when you are trying to steal a car!!)

2. Track horizon. £550 (i think!!)

Even if you car is taken you have an excellent chance of getting it back with this!!)

3. APR chip with anti theft PIN lockdown. £695

(car wont start even with the key unless you put in your PIN code activated through criuse control stalk)

4. Baseball bat + knuckle dusters (lol)

(if you catch the fukkers)

Who does anything when they hear a car alarm these days??

The above (minus point 4) would be far more secure than a clifford alarm. Lets face it, a proffesional will try to steal your car, (and succeed) not sum skank teenager lookin for a joyride.

Or they could just pick it up and tow it on the back of a lorry/ lowloader.

Its up to you mate but thats just my advice for ya!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

My thinking is that im never too far away from my car... so i would know if my alarm was going off or not. Im more actually more interested in stopping vandals rather than thieves. The chances of having the car knicked are very slim and as you say, spotty teenagers wouldnt be able to get past the standard immobiliser, but professionals are obviously a different matter. I dont tend to leave my car in a dodgy area at all but in case i have to, i want to be prepared. As for getting the keys, they would never know where they are.. god i dont most of the time. lol

The proximity sensor and warning would be quite useful in the way that as soon as someone gets too close it will warn them... any other movement of the car at that point will trigger the alarm which they cant disable.

As for APR, then thats certainly not an option as ive got the IHI turbo now which will be fully custom mapped software...

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
My thinking is that im never too far away from my car... so i would know if my alarm was going off or not. Im more actually more interested in stopping vandals rather than thieves. The chances of having the car knicked are very slim and as you say, spotty teenagers wouldnt be able to get past the standard immobiliser, but professionals are obviously a different matter. I dont tend to leave my car in a dodgy area at all but in case i have to, i want to be prepared. As for getting the keys, they would never know where they are.. god i dont most of the time. lol

The proximity sensor and warning would be quite useful in the way that as soon as someone gets too close it will warn them... any other movement of the car at that point will trigger the alarm which they cant disable.

As for APR, then thats certainly not an option as ive got the IHI turbo now which will be fully custom mapped software...

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair play to ya mate.....

The APR PIN thing doesnt need your car to be chipped. I went to awesome gti last week and got mine done. There was a bloke in a R32 who had the PIN thing done and if youve already got cruise it's just £195.

I know what you mean about vandals. We get that a lot in the area where i live and its a pain in the ***. Alot of the time though they dont approach ya car, they wil just throw a brick at it!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif Fukkers

They do [censored] themselves when ya catch them though. My mate caught one lad about a year ago after he ran on top of his scenic and he wet himself!! LITERALLY!!! lmao!!!!

Good luck with the car tho dude.....the turbo uprade sounds amazing!!! Would love to have a go in it!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Isn't there companies selling proximity systems on their own? I'm sure I saw a couple of companies offering them as "add on's" to your existing alarm.

May be worth investigating? I'd be interested in one?

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
With all my current upgrades that im doing, i think it would be worth my while upgrading the alarm in my A3 to something a bit better... Quite like the idea of one of those ones that text/page you if a sensor it triggered...

Cheers

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

If your not too bothered about having thatchman approved (I don't think this is), try this link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=75329&item=7916751579&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

My cousins got one, cost about £150 to have it fitted, works brilliantly. We tried it out, I banged on the drivers side window, it alerted him straight away and even showed on the pager which window was being attempted. Can't fault it, i'm gonna get one myself in a few weeks.

BTW, don't be fooled into thinking 'its too cheap to be any good'. The reason its so cheap is becuase its from america, and as you probably know a lot of car stuff there is a quarter of the price. Also, this is the exact same alarm used in MTV's 'Pimp My Ride'. Whatever you think of the show, and whether you like the mods they do on there or not is irrelevant. All that matters is that the top installers on that showed used this alarm, so to me that is a good enough indication of its quality, as they tend to use pretty much top of the range products on that show.

Like I said, I don't think its approved, but i'm not 100% sure. But if you aren't getting it for insurance purposes, and purely for security, then forget Clifford/Toad etc, save yourself about £400 and get this one. Let me know what you think.

[ QUOTE ]
pimpmyaudi said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

Cheers

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

If your not too bothered about having thatchman approved (I don't think this is), try this link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=75329&item=7916751579&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

My cousins got one, cost about £150 to have it fitted, works brilliantly. We tried it out, I banged on the drivers side window, it alerted him straight away and even showed on the pager which window was being attempted. Can't fault it, i'm gonna get one myself in a few weeks.

BTW, don't be fooled into thinking 'its too cheap to be any good'. The reason its so cheap is becuase its from america, and as you probably know a lot of car stuff there is a quarter of the price. Also, this is the exact same alarm used in MTV's 'Pimp My Ride'. Whatever you think of the show, and whether you like the mods they do on there or not is irrelevant. All that matters is that the top installers on that showed used this alarm, so to me that is a good enough indication of its quality, as they tend to use pretty much top of the range products on that show.

Like I said, I don't think its approved, but i'm not 100% sure. But if you aren't getting it for insurance purposes, and purely for security, then forget Clifford/Toad etc, save yourself about £400 and get this one. Let me know what you think.

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks quite good! Wouldn't mind getting one of these myself!

[ QUOTE ]
pimpmyaudi said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

Cheers

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers dude.. will certainly look into it!

Rich

i got my standard CAT2 audi system upgraded with a sigma upgrade

it enabled me to keep the use of the Audi keyfob so i dont have to carry an alarm fob around with me too

seems like a damn good system too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif