Ipod / Mp3 Adaptors

S3 Nattie

Quattro ist für sissies
Reaction score
Just wondering where can I get a Ipod / Mp3 adaptor for my RNS-D navi.

Heard you can buy ones that goes in the back of the navi and has a little lead coming from it to connect it to a Ipod / Mp3 but dont know where to get one from.

Any help

Thanks Nathan

yup Denison is really good although i have recently sold mine as the functions it utilises on the original HU arent that good....ie a playlist of 60, and you want track 49, you have to press the button 49 chuffin times.....so i replaced mine with a Parrot bluetooth MKI9200 with full tiny tft screen, fits nicely next to the traction button and gives full colour graphics with ability to scroll through the ipod using a steering wheel controller.... looks great and subtle and provides far better functionality

if you look at this you'll also need a connect2 aux converter to ensure your rear speakers work with the unit and so that sound is controlled via the HU as opposed to through the Parrot mini amp which is crap

costs wise its about £30 more expensive but worth it after owning both....

I might start to fit these :) any takers :icon_thumright:

So I connect a lead from the Denison to my Mp3 or Ipod and change the track on the Ipod. I will basically have how many songs on my Ipod to listen to then.

How hard are they to install.

the Denison is simple, remove the glovebox and stereo, plug it in the back and hide the box behind the glovebox..... i had my ipod in the glovebox and had to cut a hole in the back to feed the wire through...i guesss your going for the ipod dash mount? the denison will allow you to control via the ipod instead

Hey,

Sorry to hijack the tread. 1animal1, you seem to have experience with denisions so do you mind if i ask a few questions?

I have a concert 2 with bose. If i were to get a denison 100, would it charge my iphone3gs? Would there be track information in the display (i wouldnt be using the playlist function, i'd be controling the songs via the ipod)? Would the wheel controls work (volume and next/previous song)? Finally, where did you find out information on how to remove the glovebox/how long did the installation take?

CHeers and sorry for all the questions.

no probs Allan....you'd have to check compatability with the 3GS...i think it is compatible...although ackowledge that the 3GS has a variable charging voltage (or sumat like that)

It worked with my concert 2 which is none Bose, i think you have to specify which so that they send you the correct Denison...... the glovebox is simple to remove, just follow the dash around and undo every screw you see, dont forget to open it and undo the 3/4 on the inside lip...... the probelm with the dension is that it doesnt show track names on the HU...merely just track number upto 100 only..... and you cant identify your playlists, you can only scroll through them all via the left/right CD keys...your effectively blind

if your going to use the Denison via ya Ipod (using the ipod controls) then its ideal as long as your comforable using the ipod whilst driving (not easy)

for a hidden ipod install i got fed up with the crap concert 2 functions/display and so replaced with the above combination... which also gave me a bluetooth phone kit and various other connections for other mp3 players built in...much better if you want a stealth install

Took me about 20 mins max to fit the Denison, the parrot requires an hour as you have to find the ignition feed and mute and wirte it up.... along with adapting two phono leads to terminal blocks

think ive answered everything, if not ask away

Last edited:
1animal1 - Cheers for your help... Ill email dension and see what they say about charging. If it does ill oder one.

One little problem, just realised ive posted in the wrong section. Ive got a 56 plate 2.0 tdi. Is the glove box still the same design and does everything youve just said still apply?

unsure mate, it wont be too hard a job so i would expect so...although you will need to quote your 8P model id suspect as think they had quadlock on the back of the stereos as opposed to ISO connectors

Sorry to ask again but I have bought a BELKIN FM transmitter from Argos for £20 and its not that great. Its quite crackly and not very loud.

Anything from Argos that will give me the same sound quality as a CD (I have a Argos voucher lol).

If not from Argos which one will give me the best sound quality.

Nathan

Have you thought about a Phatnoise? Got one in my S3 and it is an amazing peice of kit, £65 off ebay, and the use of the head unit to control its voice anuncement is superb. Much better than trying to use an Ipod.

id have had a phatnoise if i didnt already have an ipod..... assuming its good for track selection, the Denison is also powered via the HU and was crap IMO

whats the phat noise like for selecting through say 2000 tracks..... this is why i think the PArrot is so superior due to its tft screen and toggle switch.... cant imagine it getting any easier

The Phatnoise is excellent, albums, artist playlist etc are announced by voice, and can be scanned through alphabetically, so you can search though and find stuff whilst driving without having to take eyes off the road. There's no faffing about having to plug in an Ipod or similar, and you can find an album or artist etc with ease whilst driving which is key IMHO. The Phatnoise software works in Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 and synching mp3 files and creating playlists is a breeze. Highly recommended - lots of happy Audi drivers around with a Phatnoise

I Just got a new ipod so want to make the most of it. I have been thinking about trying wire it in the back via some RCA wires some how.

I dont mind using the ipod to change songs, just want normal cd / radio quality.

problem you have nattie is that you most likely have your front speakers feeding out of the HU, the rears are fed via an amp feed to the boot..... you'll need the connect4 item or similar to tap into the aux that is the cd changer port....that way all you need to do is convert your ipod lead to phonos

I understand what your saying there Tim. I just spoke to one my friends who fits audio/nav systems for Halfords. He told me that I can buy a Ipod FM Transmitter that has a ariel that fits into the back of my Navi. This way he said I will get a much better frequency and sound quality should be normal.

These things are rather expensive for what they do. In my old car I had a tape player and had one the cassette things for the Ipod etc, paid £5 from ebay and it worked fine lol.

well best luck fella, they are a pain in the **** these systems..... personally i would want hard wire as radio will never equal, even if plugged into the ariel it still isnt as direct

my mate has a belkin FM tranny which seems to work fine, she paid over £100 though and ive heard too many bad things about the cheaper ones.....

id look into the cost, this connect4 item is only £28, put an ipod to phono lead on top, i reckon you'd get that lot for £40 all in

thats for the 8P cars and not the 8L like you have...assuming you dont own the newer shape

When I spoke to my local audi dealer they told me there was a kit for the 8L, the website use to detail one for a3/tt pre 2003, just wounder how they work as I wouldnt mind being able to connect the ipod but also considering a phatbox if i can find one at the right price, but then I already have an ipod but would prefer a OE item to connect it with

hmmm, no idea about that one.....there has to be something behind it if people arent using it..... plenty spend near £140 on the Denisons to get the standard HU functions

Well finally got a Ipod adaptor, its called a Connect 2. Its really easy to install, less than 10 minutes. I have installed it so you cant see anything but a little wire by the cigaratte liter, but want to try and get the wire to come from underneath the cigarette liter.

You loss your CD changer and have to use the Ipod to change songs etc but thats what I wanted, well happy and so much better than the FM transmitters giving excellent quality.

Hi Nattie, this sounds like something I want to do with my ipod. I have a 2000 S3, is this a straight fitting to the standard headunit and what was the cost of this product?

Ye really straight forward and the best opiton I had. Got mine from ebay.

I got a Connect 2 device which allows you to use a set of RCA that goes into your headunit via the CD changer. Simply connect the normal ear phone jack which is provided with the kit into your ipod and off you go.

Quality of sound is just like a cd, not like the rubbish fm transmitters.

i got mine from low cost audio for £26 IIRC...... they stil have them if you can be ***** to google the linky...... downside is having to have your ipod on show but nevertheless important unless your buying a bluetooth device in which case you can integrate and hide ya pod

Ye I paid about that for mine also.

If I quick nip out in the shop I always leave my ipod in that little compartment just above your knee. Might have to change where I leave it know if anyone local is readings this lol.