Servicing questions

jonny87

Reaction score
hiya guys, just bought myself a very nice s3 and want to do a service so i know where i stand with it, i've read through as much of the posts as i could find and still have a few questions, apologises as im sure this has been asked time and time again!
plugs - i read that ngk bkr7e are a good choice, im running about 17psi, still a good choice?
oil - read basically anything vw305.01 gets the thumbs up?
couldnt find anything about an oil filter, are performace filters any better, than an average off the shelf jobber? also anyone using one of those magnetic sump plugs, worth it or waste of money?

things i couldnt find were:
coolant - i know some people will say whatever audi reccommend in the manual but mine has had a lot of engine work done (360bhp) would their reccommendation still be good for the job or should i look for something more substantial?
and finally, air filter, for all the work done on the car it still has standard airbox and as far as i know standard filter, dont want a full induction kit, what drop ins are available to me?

many thanks in advance guys
p.s full spec and pics coming soon

Apparently bkr7e's are better when mapped, but need changing more regularly.
I personally use PFR6Q's without any issues.

Oil - anything compliant with VW 503.1 (or which supercedes it)

Oil filter im using gen' audi, as with air filter.. If you use a panel filter upgrade, be sure not to over oil it as this can cause damage to your MAF sensor.

Coolant - any g11/g12 coolant.. be sure not to mix it with your current coolant. im using g12+ from audi (G 012 A8F A4) which is purple now.

I also have a magnetic sump plug, last oil change it didnt have any swarf collected, but its there encase.

The haldex oil is due changing every 20k miles, and the filters due every 40k too

Hope this helps a bit.

:D cheers matey, big help thanks
as im new to audi/4wd can the haldex oil/filter be changed diy style or is better to have someone with some know how do it?

:D cheers matey, big help thanks
as im new to audi/4wd can the haldex oil/filter be changed diy style or is better to have someone with some know how do it?

It can be DIY'd, but would be a LOT easier on a ramp.
you also need a spanner like this:
t10066.jpg

to tighten/ loosen the filter.

360 bhp :) get the spec and some pics up soon for sure!

il get on it tomorrow matey

It can be DIY'd, but would be a LOT easier on a ramp.
you also need a spanner like this:
t10066.jpg

to tighten/ loosen the filter.

hmmm i have no such spanner or a ramp, good job i got some mates who are willing mechanics :happy:
thanks for the info mate