Looking to buy...

will2992

Reaction score
Hey new guy here!

Looking to buy myself a nice s3 sometime after the new year so just wanna ask few questions. Firstly i want a facelift model 225bhp model and will have about 8-9k to spend hopefully!

So what things should i look out for when buying? And what should i maybe ask about what been done/replaced etc within certain milages? (such as cambelt or other common problems)

Cheers guys!

Check for rust on the roof.

Make sure its been serviced decently paying attention to the cambelt especially.

Usual knocks and clunks when driving. Check suspension, springs can snap.

Can take vagcom along if you have a copy.

You should get yourself a decent S3 with that budget...

Make sure the water pump has been done along with a cambelt change as these can fail, one piece of advise I would definately check if I was buying again is the alloys, if it has the RStt alloys on then pop the centre cap off to make sure they are genuine, unless of cause it doesn't bother you that they are reps...apart from that they are solid cars, as long as it's been regulary serviced and maintained it should be ok...

Again you should be able to get a nice tidy low mileage one with plenty of extras for that money come next year! Happy shopping!

I also wouldnt get too hung up whether its a 225 or 210 as they both map to about the same anyway.

Thanks guys! I heard they map kind of the same, its just i prefer the newer lights and stuff on the 225's unless they are interchangable?

my friend works for audi so should be able to get vagcom for me!

The one piece lights still come on a 210 as long as its a facelift version like an AMK. Mines an AMK facelift and IMO its slightly better looking than prefacelift with different front & back lights and also different heater console, but having said that when i was looking for one if i saw a prefacelift which was nice and tidy i may have bought one instead.

e2a: just re read your original post and for that sort of money you will deffo get a nice facelift version for that.

Last edited:
you wana be concerned if your buying a pre facelift with that budget!!

also the RSTT's, you can tell if they are real or not as the little lip that goes down the spokes fades into the spoke as it gets near the hub... originals have a constant lip.....origianls also veer into the hub giving a different appearence to the flat fakes

For that budget id look for a nice BT conversion perosnally, other than that i wouldnt look at less than 03 plate..... in top condition......02 plates in mint cond at that price are dreamers...dont get taken in!!

Last edited:
you wana be concerned if your buying a pre facelift with that budget!!

also the RSTT's, you can tell if they are real or not as the little lip that goes down the spokes fades into the spoke as it gets near the hub... originals have a constant lip

For that budget id look for a nice BT conversion perosnally, other than that i wouldnt look at less than 03 plate..... in top condition......02 plates in mint cond at that price are dreamers...dont get taken in!!

Thanks for the info on how to spot replica RSTTs - I wondered about mine, pretty sure they're genuine but best to check, hadn't had the time to take a wheel off and look for the :kissmyrings:...

Bought my Jan 2003 (52 plate) for just over the OP's top budget, but it's mint and with dealer 12 month warranty, and it's the best colour...:yes:

i'm in the same boat, could spend 10k on one but I dont see the need to!
So yeah searching for an 02 or 03 plate 225bhp with loads of nice goodies for 8-9k aswell !

Hope you find a good one, i'm struggling!!

Hmm looks like i'll have to search further afield as everywhere near me are quite high milage one at that price unless i look at T/V reg motors...

Yep, same for me mate but i'm going to hold onto my cash and wait til the right 225hp 02 or 03 plate turns up!
I dont want to spend that sort of money and not get exactly what I want!

Yea exactly! As i said it probably won't be until beginning of next year as then i'll be 21 and the icy weather will have gone so i might not kill myself :)

^^^ Have you had an insurance quote based on being 21?
I just ask 'cos a mate of mine is 21 and fancies an S3 but reckons the insurance would be ££££.
One good thing about getting older I suppose!

Well my mates got a cupra r and he's 20 with 3 yncb and he's paying £1300 so hopefully 21 with 4 yncb should be little cheaper :)

Check for rust on the roof.

Make sure its been serviced decently paying attention to the cambelt especially.

Usual knocks and clunks when driving. Check suspension, springs can snap.

Can take vagcom along if you have a copy.

Hey minty, Your saying rust on roof mine has a little appart from that the car was mint, got the guy down a little very low miles under 36k for 02plate, anyhow stop rambling on, I like my detailing and hate rust on roof so going to get roof re sprayed- any idea on cost on full roof to get done from scratch. cheers

Hey minty, Your saying rust on roof mine has a little appart from that the car was mint, got the guy down a little very low miles under 36k for 02plate, anyhow stop rambling on, I like my detailing and hate rust on roof so going to get roof re sprayed- any idea on cost on full roof to get done from scratch. cheers

Could go from anywhere between 150-300

Audi may do it under warranty, some people are succesful, some get refused...

Worth taking the car to a dealer to see what they say as it's such a common fault. All Audi's have a 12 year anti-corrosion warranty, there is a big thread on here about your very situation...

also the RSTT's, you can tell if they are real or not as the little lip that goes down the spokes fades into the spoke as it gets near the hub... originals have a constant lip.....origianls also veer into the hub giving a different appearence to the flat fakes

There are different types of rep alloys, some do have the lip all the way down the spoke, some don't...

I thought mine were genuine until I popped the centre cap off and saw various stud pattern holes for different cars...

ahhh didnt realise that Leggy......

Westle, its sumat to do with the fact that they have to strip it properly and totally remove the offending oxidation....not an easy job im reliably told and will come back immediately if not done correctly

Damn it! I dont suppose you know how an official Audi approved body shop does the repair do you Tim? I can probably get the same place to redo mine for free as its only lasted 4 months but I dont want to get it done again in February!

no idea mate but after working for a main dealer years ago id never trust a main dealer body shop ever again...volume not quality

Cheers Tim.
I need to find a body shop that wont pull my pants down and can do the job properly. The reason I used the bodyshop i did was because it was a friend of a friend and I was only charged mates rates.

yup got ya....im gonna be doing the same when i get mine done for the scratdfh down the side...you can never tell until you see their work and even then you dont know whats underneath...... id take it back to them if i were you see what they say

I might sell mine (not decided yet). Very clean 03 facelift in silver, 60k. PM if serious interest :)

If i had 9k to spend on an s3 I would too be looking at a big turbo with all the right suspension goodies for good measure aswel. Probably just a case of being patient the right one will come up eventually I would say be prepared to travel though.

As for insurance im 21 with 4 years no claims and I paid 1K which I thought was pretty reasonable anyway good luck mate

Mine will be for sale in the New Year (once its MOT'd in January) and will be less than £9k. PM me for details if you are interested.