A3 1.8T brake upgrade

FatLad

Reaction score
Sorry to raise this topic once again but tried using the search function and could find exactly what i wanted.

Want to upgrade the brake set-up on my A3 1.8T ('97 R reg) without upgrading the stock competition wheels. When I last looked into this I came to the conclusion I would buy BD disks, slightly bigger than the Audi standards yet which still fitted behind my 16 inch wheels, anyone confirm this and know the size of the standard Audi disks and the largest possible BD disk capable of fitting behind the 16 "competition alloys ? I had read (I think) if I went this route i would need to change the standard Audi brake calipers with those off the TT to accommodate the larger than standard disks, can ayone confirm this also ? Pads I'm assuming should be DS2500's and I was going to upgrade the brake hoses for braided Goodridge ones for better feel.

On the rear I was simply going to repalce the stock Audi discs for BD equivalents (same size) and use DS2500's.

Finally can anyone recommend a good outlet to buy all this stuff !

Thanks

John

A quick search netted the following useful threads...

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=78349&highlight=brake+carriers

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=76181&highlight=brake+carriers

Essentially you need TT/S3 front caliper carriers to use with your existing calipers and 312mm discs of your choice. Black Diamond are a popular choice as are EBC Ultimax. Use this with a combination of Ferodo DS2500's and Motul RBF600 brake fluid. Use Goodridge hoses if you wish just bear in mind that the kit doesn't replace all rubber hoses just the fronts and the ones from the chassis to the rear beam (assuming your car is FWD and not a Quattro) If the ones to the rear calipers are the same as most others, they are hard pipe to a crimped on flexi pipe and these don't come with the kit as they are tricky to make.

Rears... don't really contribute much to the overall braking effort and are solid and small as std on an A3. Stick to std replacement discs and use the money elsewhere on the car or if you must have bling then find the cheapest bling disc you can as they will make no difference to your braking unlike the changes to the front.

Don't bother with anything other than a decent set of std pads on the rear else it could swaps ends from the extra bite....

I use GSF specials as discs on my S3 (about £18 each + vat) and Pagid pads (about £18+vat) (again from GSF)... My car stops and stops well....

<tuffty/>