AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    audi a3-se

Status

1.8t conversion who can do it!

hi just testing the water here, im interested in upgrading my engine to the 1.8 turbo, ive got a audi a3 1.6 se on a 52 reg love the car to bits thats why i want to change the engine not the car. just want to knw really if u know of anybody who can do the job needed or if somebody on here would be up for the transplant,

if anybody can give me the details of somebody who i could talk to about this i would appreciate that alot thanks for your help

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Mark (Byzan A4) did an normally aspirated 1.8 to 1.8t conversion in his A4 (different car, same principle) but I am pretty sure his advice would be not to do it LOL....

There would be similar challenges to the 1.6 but in all honesty you would be better off buying a 1.8t out the box.

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

S3

Status
    Sell your 52 plate, and buy a slightly older 1.8t.
    Audi S3

My other cars a mk2 Golf GTi

Status
    Yup, sell up and get a S3, engine conversions get expensive!

Scuderia Vittoria Edition 001

Status
    hey dude as said before it would be cheaper and far easier to sell up and buy a 1.8t/s3. however if you are still eager to do it then it would be worth talking to the phrim...they are prity well known for engine conversions.

tom

My other cars a mk2 Golf GTi

Status
    or the likes of JBS, Jabba sport and Backdraft

5th Gear

Status
    As above, buy a 1.8T instead of blowing money on converting yours. Plus you'll get the extra suspension, brake etc etc upgrades included!

Then remap it and you're laughing!
    Current: RenaultSport Clio 172
    Previous: 2001 ('51) S3 Quattro
    Previous: 2001 E46 M3 Coupe
    Previous: 2001 Civic Type R

Spooly Spooly Boosty Boosty!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ianysm View Post
    As above, buy a 1.8T instead of blowing money on converting yours. Plus you'll get the extra suspension, brake etc etc upgrades included!

Then remap it and you're laughing!
    Ah! beat me to it. Yeah, pretty much what he said. Engine conversion is one thing but all the ancillaries to go with it will push up the cost. (ie. bigger brakes, stiffer suspension to take the extra weight etc etc.)
    Cheap and Reliable is not Fast. Cheap and Fast is not Reliable. Fast and Reliable is not Cheap!

Steady Eddy

Status
    yo A3S3, got a 1.6 2001

Spent 3k on it and after literally a few days i regretted not getin the 1.8T

twas thinking of doin the same a while back (conversion), and everyone on ere is right fella, why spend 3k converting and gettin the car up to scratch for a 1.8T when you can sell what you have for that much.

Save up say..another grand and a half, ul get a good 1.8T with all the bits and bobs that suit you (cruise control/alacantra/bose etc etc)...bit of patience goes a long way mate..

I appreciete ur attached to what you have, me too!! and if u love it like you say then im sure uve looked after it well and will get a good price for it, just need to find a like minded owner of a 1.8T...

let us know what you do in the end fella, be interested to have an update..

audi a3-se

Status
    well thanks for all the advise still in 2 minds what to do as ive found a cheap audi a3 with rear end damage going quite cheap so not sure yet

Status
    also your insurance will be void if you don't tell them.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Insurance will also be more expensive than actually having a 'proper' 1.8t by double i would imagine. Mine was.

5th Gear

Status
    If you want do an engine conversion get a mk1 mk2 golf to do it on.

Mate at work always says fire up the quatrro! to me, found out on radio one where its from ! to bryan's sig. ^
    Its gone replaced with a mk2 golf gti 16v :D

1st Gear

Status
    do it just dont tell the insurance if u buy the damaged 1.8t an ure handy with the spanners it aint that big of a job plus ull still have cheap insurance if ure gona get someone else to do it then i wouldnt bother just buy a normal 1.8t would be alot cheeper

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by djdougalno1 View Post
    do it just dont tell the insurance if u buy the damaged 1.8t an ure handy with the spanners it aint that big of a job plus ull still have cheap insurance
    Ermm correction you will have no insurance and we wonder why the premiums are so high.

Status
    Plus even if you get it done it will be worth less than your 1.6se when you come to sell.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Reverse Gear

Status
    If your going to do a conversion on the car you love why go 1.8t? It'd be MUCH cheaper to buy one.. if you want to be a bit different why not take the 3.2 and mounts out of a crashed Audi TT?

Now a 3.2 A3 would make sense.. more sense than doing it to an S3 like the guy on you tube... plus it'd be worth a lot more on re-sale because it'd be unusual.. plus it sounds better and if you ever come into money and fancy going totally insane you can turbo that and the results are INSANE!:D

Howdy

Status
    Or just buy my A4 Avant 1.8T Sport for a small sum.
    It's already 'chipped and insurance will be cheaper for a 'sensible' estate car...
    2001 Audi RS4 2.7 Bi-Turbo - Nogaro Blue

1975 MG Midget 1500 - Tahiti Blue

2003 Audi S3 - Dolphin Grey; SOLD!