1.8t conversion who can do it!

a3-se

audi a3-se
Reaction score
hi just testing the water here, im interested in upgrading my engine to the 1.8 turbo, ive got a audi a3 1.6 se on a 52 reg love the car to bits thats why i want to change the engine not the car. just want to knw really if u know of anybody who can do the job needed or if somebody on here would be up for the transplant,

if anybody can give me the details of somebody who i could talk to about this i would appreciate that alot thanks for your help

Mark (Byzan A4) did an normally aspirated 1.8 to 1.8t conversion in his A4 (different car, same principle) but I am pretty sure his advice would be not to do it LOL....

There would be similar challenges to the 1.6 but in all honesty you would be better off buying a 1.8t out the box.

<tuffty/>

Sell your 52 plate, and buy a slightly older 1.8t.

Yup, sell up and get a S3, engine conversions get expensive!

hey dude as said before it would be cheaper and far easier to sell up and buy a 1.8t/s3. however if you are still eager to do it then it would be worth talking to the phrim...they are prity well known for engine conversions.

tom

As above, buy a 1.8T instead of blowing money on converting yours. Plus you'll get the extra suspension, brake etc etc upgrades included!

Then remap it and you're laughing!

As above, buy a 1.8T instead of blowing money on converting yours. Plus you'll get the extra suspension, brake etc etc upgrades included!

Then remap it and you're laughing!

Ah! beat me to it. Yeah, pretty much what he said. Engine conversion is one thing but all the ancillaries to go with it will push up the cost. (ie. bigger brakes, stiffer suspension to take the extra weight etc etc.)

yo A3S3, got a 1.6 2001

Spent 3k on it and after literally a few days i regretted not getin the 1.8T

twas thinking of doin the same a while back (conversion), and everyone on ere is right fella, why spend 3k converting and gettin the car up to scratch for a 1.8T when you can sell what you have for that much.

Save up say..another grand and a half, ul get a good 1.8T with all the bits and bobs that suit you (cruise control/alacantra/bose etc etc)...bit of patience goes a long way mate..

I appreciete ur attached to what you have, me too!! and if u love it like you say then im sure uve looked after it well and will get a good price for it, just need to find a like minded owner of a 1.8T...

let us know what you do in the end fella, be interested to have an update..

well thanks for all the advise still in 2 minds what to do as ive found a cheap audi a3 with rear end damage going quite cheap so not sure yet

also your insurance will be void if you don't tell them.

Insurance will also be more expensive than actually having a 'proper' 1.8t by double i would imagine. Mine was.

If you want do an engine conversion get a mk1 mk2 golf to do it on.

Mate at work always says fire up the quatrro! to me, found out on radio one where its from ! to bryan's sig. ^

do it just dont tell the insurance if u buy the damaged 1.8t an ure handy with the spanners it aint that big of a job plus ull still have cheap insurance if ure gona get someone else to do it then i wouldnt bother just buy a normal 1.8t would be alot cheepe:rulez:r

do it just dont tell the insurance if u buy the damaged 1.8t an ure handy with the spanners it aint that big of a job plus ull still have cheap insurance

Ermm correction you will have no insurance and we wonder why the premiums are so high.

Plus even if you get it done it will be worth less than your 1.6se when you come to sell.

If your going to do a conversion on the car you love why go 1.8t? It'd be MUCH cheaper to buy one.. if you want to be a bit different why not take the 3.2 and mounts out of a crashed Audi TT?

Now a 3.2 A3 would make sense.. more sense than doing it to an S3 like the guy on you tube... plus it'd be worth a lot more on re-sale because it'd be unusual.. plus it sounds better and if you ever come into money and fancy going totally insane you can turbo that and the results are INSANE!:D