Badger5JMB Retrofits
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Golf R32

  1. #1
    Essflee's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,007

    Golf R32

    I've been thinking lately about a Mk 4 Golf R32, apparently a remapped S3 has the edge on a standard one, (though I'm not so sure) I know the R32's don't get a lot from a remap but what they do get "approx 10bhp" do you think this would even things up or maybe give the golf the edge ? I've started thinking more about one since I got blown away by one a few weeks back, ( Mk 5 ) the way he passed me he must of had a supercharger strapped to it because it wasn't even close, I was thinking of perhaps buying one and getting a remap and then once I've saved up the funds to get it supercharged...

    I don't really like the interior in the golf and the fuel bills put me off a tad, would just like to hear other peoples thoughts...

    Cheers.
    revo'd

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,488
    I'd have gotten on quite well with an R32, but the interior just doesn't seem to feel right to me and from the outside it screams hooligan.


  4. #3
    ianysm's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,002
    I like them alot. Both the MK4 and MK5, They sound awesome too, but the reason i went for the S3 is due to the cheap tuning ability.

    Just as i was on my way to get the S3 mapped, i had a play with a mk5 R32 along the dual carriageway, he pulled a couple of car lengths but not by as much as i thought, i'm certain i would do the same back now its mapped

    Alot of them have turbo conversions. JBS (where i got the S3 mapped) are big into this. Its about 6k though!!
    AUTOMAP
    Mobile ECU Remapping Services

    automap.remapping@gmail.com
    www.eliteremaps.com

  5. #4
    Essflee's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by madvw View Post
    I'd have gotten on quite well with an R32, but the interior just doesn't seem to feel right to me and from the outside it screams hooligan.
    To be honest I prefer the look of the S3 and the interior is much better, it's just the potential you could have with an R32 and the sound, fuel bill would be a big minus though...

    Ive never come across one before but they way he left me he must of had in the region of 400bhp, he had 2 blokes in the car with him to and I was on me tod...
    revo'd

  6. #5
    golf's Avatar
    ***** rent boy

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,553
    There are usually always a few supercharged R32's for sale so if you've got the dough you might get lucky. Get yourself over to r32oc.com there's a ton of info on there and the 'Trading Post' is a good place to look for supercharger kits and other goodies.

    In standard form the R32 is the far more capable car compared to an S3. In a straight line the R32 is slightly faster, but once the S3's been remapped it's a fair bit quicker. Handling wise the R32 is sharper and the 4WD system seems to be more effective. The exhaust note and engine sound is obviously one of the R32's selling points and it blows the S3 out of the water in that sense. Stick a non-resonated Milltek on and you'll set off car alarms.

    The interior is bland, but the seats are more supportive and the steering feel is better. R32's are also better equipped with all cars getting heated seats, auto wipers, CD multichangers and 18" alloys.

    Be warned though, they are very expensive to run and get a lot of attention from the Police and chavs. I used to average around 15 mpg in town driving and 24-27 on the motorway and that was driving normally. Insurance was actually more expensive on the S3 though for some reason (I was 20 when I bought the R32 and 22 when I bought my current S3, but S3 costs more? ). Having said that I still miss mine every day.

    This is a guy called Terry's on the owners club, I'm sure he won't mind me posting a couple of pics:




  7. #6
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    24
    I'm new to the Euro scene so i'm out of advice on this one but from the looks point of veiw the s3 takes it hands down ,it screams executive but i' bite ,the r32 mrk 4 and 5 look too purpose build and not an everyday driver look

  8. #7
    Essflee's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by ianysm View Post
    I like them alot. Both the MK4 and MK5, They sound awesome too, but the reason i went for the S3 is due to the cheap tuning ability.

    Just as i was on my way to get the S3 mapped, i had a play with a mk5 R32 along the dual carriageway, he pulled a couple of car lengths but not by as much as i thought, i'm certain i would do the same back now its mapped

    Alot of them have turbo conversions. JBS (where i got the S3 mapped) are big into this. Its about 6k though!!
    That's pretty much the same as me, I always wanted an S3 and the 3.2 in the golf put me off, the Mk 5 is growing on me but whenever I think of an R32 it's always the Mk4 that tickles my fancy...

    If this JBS is anything to go by it could fit the bill, I felt like I was in a 1.3 when he passed me...lol.

    I think he had come from a VW bash somewhere cause as I slowed down a golf Mk5 Gti went passed with a corrado, I think they were all together...
    revo'd

  9. #8
    Essflee's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,007
    Golf, yeah the mpg is about the only thing that puts me off, the car you've posted up looks very nice, I don't mind the interior it's just the seats always seem to strech and look older than they are "leather that is"

    the running costs is a big hitch, I don't know if I could put up with spending every other day at the garage filling her up, but then that comes hand in hand with a 3.2 that sounds gorgeous...
    revo'd

  10. #9
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,488
    If I was buying to modify, I'd look for an A3 3.2 and turbo/twin turbo that.

    Overall it would cost more to sort, but there are some bargain 3.2's out there to start off with. That would tick all the boxes for me.


  11. #10
    golf's Avatar
    ***** rent boy

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by leggy View Post
    Golf, yeah the mpg is about the only thing that puts me off, the car you've posted up looks very nice, I don't mind the interior it's just the seats always seem to strech and look older than they are "leather that is"

    the running costs is a big hitch, I don't know if I could put up with spending every other day at the garage filling her up, but then that comes hand in hand with a 3.2 that sounds gorgeous...
    To be fair it's not a world away from the S3 in terms of fuel bills. But with the R32 I was always flooring it to listen to the sound of the engine, and I drive the S3 like a grandad. The sagging leather is an annoyance but most of the time people won't see it, as you'll be sitting on it!

    Take one for a test drive and see what you think.

  12. #11
    Essflee's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    To be fair it's not a world away from the S3 in terms of fuel bills. But with the R32 I was always flooring it to listen to the sound of the engine, and I drive the S3 like a grandad. The sagging leather is an annoyance but most of the time people won't see it, as you'll be sitting on it!

    Take one for a test drive and see what you think.
    As strange as it sounds I could imagine driving one, my mate had a bora 2.8 4motion and that was a lovely car to drive, fat steering wheel and a decent weight in the steering also, I have been in one a few years back when I had my A3 remapped in bicester and that was amd's actual project car, 5 up and it went like a train...I would like to have a drive though, definately...
    revo'd

  13. #12
    S3 Nattie's Avatar
    Quattro ist für sissies

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    1,600
    Great car both the MK 4 & 5. Ive been in both and they both sound amazing but performance wise they both defo need a bit more power, very grunty but seems really tame. MK5 is surprisingly quite soft also.

    I had good 20 mile play with a MK4 R32 on the motorway and was rather surprised, they dont have much top end power. Every time i was waiting to get past or backing off.
    For sale

    3" Downpipe and de cat (will be going on ebay soon)
    Autogauge boost gauge
    Chrome Audi Number plate surrounds

    PM for info.

  14. #13
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28
    I bought a Mk5 R32 when they first cam out. Only car I've ever bought from new. One of my favourite cars I've ever owned, grip is amazing and sound is like nothing else in this market! All in all a great buy but two really big flaws in the car were

    1. Understeer on turn in (so much so that my first set of tires were down to the string on the inside after only 1500miles of road driving! I drive hard but nothing else I've ever owned has been that hard on tires).

    2. Fuel OMG fuel!! I think with a turbo bolted on you could maybe justify the fuel because it would be fast enough but in standard form it is no quicker than an S3 and literally uses twice the fuel! Over a 140mile journey mostly on welsh winding roads at night I averaged 9.7mpg on the dash! Usually the figure was between 14 and 19mpg for normal driving.

    That said I've probably never had more fun than that night drive at 1am through wales.

  15. #14
    fingermouse's Avatar
    thats me

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    west yorkshire
    Posts
    3,762
    The R32`s had a recall from VW for a new map and I think this made them almost the same as most remap companies were offering. The fuel they use is very sim to the S3 tbh. Speed wise the S3 is better when going but the R32 is more drivable as the power is just there all the time no lag. They also don`t seem to suffer with the clutches like aggresivly driven S3`s do. Got to get the wing seats that were a option they really make the car

    im talking the mk4 as I own a S3 my mate had a R32 and we were always comparing stuff lol
    red to red black to black blue to bits

  16. #15
    Westy's Avatar
    Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cambridgeshire sometimes Hertfordshire
    Posts
    17,281
    I had a go with a Mk5 R32 a few months back of a round about from stand still onto a duel carraigeway and it was neck and neck not the slightest of movement from either of us.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread







  17. #16
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by fingermouse View Post
    The R32`s had a recall from VW for a new map and I think this made them almost the same as most remap companies were offering. The fuel they use is very sim to the S3 tbh. Speed wise the S3 is better when going but the R32 is more drivable as the power is just there all the time no lag. They also don`t seem to suffer with the clutches like aggresivly driven S3`s do. Got to get the wing seats that were a option they really make the car

    im talking the mk4 as I own a S3 my mate had a R32 and we were always comparing stuff lol
    Your mate is lying to you about the fuel! Trust me. I got 35mpg once by sitting at 60mph and rolling down hills. If I drove it like I do the S3 the S3 returns 25-28mpg over a tank and the R32 returns 14-19mpg over a tank. (MK5 R32 maybe worse though?)

  18. #17
    AjM
    AjM's Avatar
    Living in Blissful Ignorance

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Torbay, S.Devon
    Posts
    295
    MK5 is obviously far better than the 4 (ride, handling, interior, power etc) however the 4 has the massive advantage of being able to get a good one cheap. I won't re-iterate what everyone else has said re MK4 R32 vs S3 8L but the MK4 R32 is nice, but i know own an S3......

    With reference to fuel my mate has gassed his R32. Rolling road before and after is the same and insurance was 54 a year more. However 49p a ltr and it does about 18 MPG if driven normally around town. Of course because there is no turbo you do not have to worry so much. Just a thought....

  19. #18
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,817
    that looks like a very nice r32 there golf. love the sound they make. do the mk5's and 4's have exactly the same engine power wise?
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour



  20. #19
    AjM
    AjM's Avatar
    Living in Blissful Ignorance

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Torbay, S.Devon
    Posts
    295
    MK5 is 250ps and MK4 240ps.

  21. #20
    golf's Avatar
    ***** rent boy

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 Rav View Post
    that looks like a very nice r32 there golf. love the sound they make. do the mk5's and 4's have exactly the same engine power wise?
    The car's not mine Rav, it's a fella off of the R32 Owners Club.

    A lot of the MK5 engine is the same as the MK4, only the compression ratio is different. The MK4 has 243 bhp before the ECU update which all cars should have had, which took it to 250 bhp. The MK5 has circa 250 bhp from the factory. The exhaust on the MK5 is a lot louder and raspier too, sounds superb.

  22. #21
    mattyboy199's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,689
    so if you can turbo the R32, youc an turbo the a3 / TT 3.2's what sort of power would you reach ?
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

    2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

    wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

  23. #22
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,488
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy199 View Post
    so if you can turbo the R32, youc an turbo the a3 / TT 3.2's what sort of power would you reach ?
    the same really, about 450-500PS.


 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO