Strange problem!! 1999 S3

ollyste

Reaction score
My car seems to have started playing up on me just recently and its when i turn the key in the ignition and i get no lights on the dash. Most of the time, if not always it starts first time with the lights but sometimes now i go to start it and i get no lights on the dash and it turns over perfectly but just wont fire up? just seems really strange as it doesnt happen that often but its happening more often now and its doing my head in!. Its quite a new battery so i dont presume its that,thats causing the problem but i dont get the beep for the alarm when i lock it anymore and wondered if this could be related????????
Any advice would be appreciated!!
Steve

It's probably the ignition switch, common fail, and only costs around £20 from your local stealer/GSF

Agree with Byzan, sounds like the switch althouh I would get a genuine one from the stealers as I replaced one in my Golf with a GSF jobbie that then failed 13 months later :no:

Agree with Byzan, sounds like the switch althouh I would get a genuine one from the stealers as I replaced one in my Golf with a GSF jobbie that then failed 13 months later :no:

Doesn't really mater where you get electrical components from, very hit and miss. I bought a brake light switch from VW and it went pop 2 days later, replaced it wih a GSF one and 12 months later it's still going strong.

Genuine parts purchased from the dealership / TPS etc. have a 24 month warranty (look for a small sign at the parts counter, it is publicised and used as a marketing tool), GSF give 12 months warranty on most parts, and in general genuine parts fit / work better than copy equipment in many cases.

Many jobs on cars can be difficult / awkward to do and the price difference can be negligable, especially if you have to repeat the job to replace the broken copy parts with genuine parts.

Saying that, a classic example is the clutch pedals that the dealerships sell as replacement despite so many of them snapping, seems like they are happy to sell you a product they know is likely to last a limited time before it breaks (they must last longer than 2 years!!!)

thanks....is there a part number for this switch and could i change it myself? If so how? Tried searching around on the net but not having much luck so i wouldnt even know what one looked like!?
Thanks again
Steve