Keep my A3 1.8T Quattro, or have a company car?

Cossie_boy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilema!

I am 90% there towards putting my car up for sale, I work as a used car salesman so constantly drive different cars everyday, and it is very nice to get back into mine at the end of each day and drive home.

Problem being is its getting older, the miles are creeping up, 72k now, and the market is crazy at the moment with prices jumping up in £100's over the past few months.

Now I really love the car is there is nothing wrong with it, I feel like a bit of a change, but I know there is probably not much chance of getting such a specced car again, saying this of the equipment the TV ive used 3 times in 2 and half years, the Sat Nav maybe 10, the parking sensors are nice but not a must, and sunroof rarley comes open, so although nice to have they are not essential. The heated leather is very nice though and the cruise i use lots and the Xenons are great at night! Added to this its great fun driving a 200 bhp car with 4WD!

I currently have the option of getting into a Golf GT 170, an A3 1.9 TDi SE, or an A4 2.0 TDi S-line, will cost be a bit under £100 a month, but i cannot put a price on being able to drive a nice car, and then park it anywhere without a worry of it getting damaged or doors being opened onto it, i can also drive it how i like without worrying about it going wrong and costing me £££££.

It really is a toucgh desicion as i am very attatched to the car, but need to do something quick before the market drops, although we dont predict that happening anytime soon really. I have seen similar A3s on Autotrader sitting from £5500 up to £7k, and even one at £8990, although I think their a bit keen! None of which have anywhere near the equipment mine has.

I am just looking for views from company car drivers, or maybe people who have been in my situation to help me make my mind up!

Cheers

Dave

check out comcar.co.uk to see what the company cars you want to drive are going to cost you to make sure it is not costing you more than you anticipate. My S3 was a company car which cost me an arm and a leg as I ended having a K tax code which meant I owed the government more tax every month. I hear you on the costs as you won't have to pay, tax, insurance, tyres, servicing, MOT, etc whereas you do at present. You can also opt out and be given a monthly allowance to run and maintain your car. Me I opted out of the company car scheme and bought the S3 i was given; over the past 3 years it has cost me just shy of £10k to run (not including fuel) then again in the past 7 years it has covered 186k miles, been all over the country and has been a joy to drive. I was put in the position of opting back into the company car scheme recently and getting a new car specifically a new S3 - but chose against it purely on the fact that it would have cost me more money that it would be worth. I looked at 'lesser' models but the problem was nothing came close to the S3! Still the choice is yours