ECU swap??

Davsurfa

Reaction score
I've had a thought that may or may not work and I wondered if someone on here may know? If I were to swap my ECU from my 1.6 A3 to an ECU from a VW Golf 1.6 FSi would the Audi then run the 113bhp that the Golf has and 114ft-lbs torque instead?? The gains would be about the same as a re-map but I'd of thought an ECU from a scrapped car would be cheaper. Or am I just talking cr*p??

If that was the case then you would be able to just remap the current ECU but I should think there would be more to it than just changing the ECU... your A3 probably won't have all the sensors the Golf has depending on the year of yours and the donor car for a start.

<tuffty/>

"Is the Audi 1.6 even an FSI engine?"

Nope, does that make a difference? I just assumed the ECU was just a computer that told the engine how to work, amount of fuel/air/when to spark power curves and what not? I though the "hardware" side of the engine wouldn't make much difference.

" If that was the case then you would be able to just remap the current ECU but I should think there would be more to it than just changing the ECU... your A3 probably won't have all the sensors the Golf has depending on the year of yours and the donor car for a start."

I have no idea how many plugs and sensors are on mine or the Golf. Just wondered if it would be possible and if it would work. Do I assume the Golf has more "extras"?