Newbie with questions

john_s3

Reaction score
Hi everybody,right I have just sold my astra coupe turbo and brought a 1999 v reg s3, it's in red with black leather,has Bose and also heated seats, I have a few bits to sort out and wanted to ask on here to see if anybody could help me, first off is the stereo,it has a jvc after Market head unit fitted and it has terible interference when turning on and changing stations etc,I really want to put back the original unit but have no idea what was in it or part numbers etc, also there's no cd changer so would need to be cd head unit

Secondly the glovebox has a hinge snapped on the right hand side,can this be fixed and wat part numbers do I need etc or is it a case of a whole new glovebox?? And lastly the window rubber on the passenger window is so tight it stops the window half way up and keeps going back down,is this common and again what part number is it

Where is the best place to get all these bits from and what sort of money am I looking at?? Any help would be great, I'll post pics very soon

Cheers john

welcome to the forum mate.....

with the stereo you could do with seeing behind it, both Bose and non Bose systems work via Audi amps, the non Bose has a tiny amp in the boot running the rears and bin with a single line into the head unit, if they havent bypassed this then you should have an easy enough job putting the standard unit back in.....this may have been rewired though? or they could have converted the loom some how...really is something you'll have to gauge when its in front of ya...

the glovebox is easy enough, you'll need to source a whole new unit i reckon, easy enough to fit (about 8 screws), id go for a scrappy as cant see dealer being cheap.... that said you could ideally do with sourcing a S3 specific or 1.8TQ box otherwise you wont have the Quattro badge

Enjoy ya new motor ;)

Tim

Can't help with part numbers on the stereo, but with the window, it could be the classic snapped window slip. There's 2 on each window, and during thw winter months when the window freezes over, one of the clips would snap off leaving the other to do the window winding up and down. The part is relatively cheap, but changing it is a bit more hassle.

so wat head unit do i need,would a concert from say an 04 a3 or a4 be ok ??

it needs to be from an 8L model mate as the rear has different connections IIRC..... also id guess it would be single DIN? unless your aftermarket has a facia adaptor?

yeah its just single din and the car has bose speaker upgrade,does that have any bearing on the head unit or not??:sos:

also where can i get a head unit from,ebay all seems to be the later models like 02-07

i had the same issue with my window. one of the clips holding the window will have snapped. before you strip it all down check with your audi dealer the part number on the following link as i stripped mine down to find out they had none so i had to mend the broken one! they are only £2.50 each by the way. this link is really handy if you are unsure of how to fix it...hope it helps

http://www.piglet-net.net/tech/cars/a3-window.html

thanks mark,has anybody done this who lives relatively close to northampton who would be willing to give me a hand??

will supply beer and bacon sarnies