Serious problem with my new motor :(

mort

Reaction score
Right chaps.... I wonder if any of you have ever come across this problem??

I bought my 1999 Audi S3 about a month ago and since doing so it has been leaking petrol out of the back end! And when I say leaking I dont actually mean leaking I mean gushing out beyond belief.

Took it to my local garage who i know very well and I told em to sort it if it was a quick fix but if not I'l take it back to the garage as it has a 3 month warranty. They said they cleaned out the breather pipes and that will probably sort the problem.

I took it for a spin and later on that day the same thing happened, fortunately i was near to the garage so I took it straight there because the garage hadn't actually witnessed any type of fuel escaping and when they saw it they couldn't believe how much was actually coming out! And they also said they hadn't come across that before so they advised me to just take it back to where i bought it (luckily a dealer) and get them to sort it.

Since taking it back the guy phoned me to ask whether ive had it chipped yet to which i hadnt. Then he phoned me later in the day to ask whether it was leaking petrol before i took it to my garage to have the breather pipes cleaned because he asked audi about the problem and they said they were baffled and the only thing they could think of was that the breather pipes were put back on the wrong way round, but it was leaking before hand so that wasn't the problem.

And just to add... when i took it to the garage when it was actually ******* out one of the mechanics said a quick fix would be to loosen the petrol cap, i went round the corner and again it was ******* out the back end and out of the side of the car out of the petrol cap... much to my embarresment!!!

I haven't heard back from the dealer again so I thought id see if anyone had ever heard of anything similar??!!

Also any sympathy will be greatfully accepted!

Also another thing to add, if i open my petrol cap too fast after driving the fuel will just fly out, i have to open it ever so slightly and let it slowly hiss out.

Last edited:
never heard of anything like that mate. hope you get it sorted.

does it run bad? sound like you are getting a vacume inside the tank it may not run bad as it is injected so pump will just push fuel through but i think it sounds like tank brether pipe prob!a 1way valve not working or something?.which is making the tank suck in under presher then when you undo fuel cap the tank retracks to normal and sends fuel out the outlet.change fuel filter aswell if not bin done for a long time.might not be the prob just my thoughts as you get it on bikes allot & i have worked on them a long time.

Last edited:
It doesn't run bad at all, in fact in drives really nicely and there doesn't seem to be any dip in performance. God knows what the outcome will be as it seems strange that no-one has ever heard of a problem like this on a car. I wanted to post it tho just in case anyone on here knew the cause of the problem and I could have just forwarded the suggestion to the garage. Nearly 90 views on this topic now and just 1 suggestion! So its not looking good :(

You might want to try and get hold of JesterS3 as he had a problem with leaking petrol from around the tank and fuel coming out when opening the cap to fast.

I've been on the site for 6 years+ and never heard anything like it, and with petrol prices going through the roof, this problem isn't happening at the best of times!

Hope you get it sorted soon.

i know this might sound stupid but have they checked the fuel tank itself as i had a simalar problem with my 99 s3 and it was the tank that had 2 holes in it i would check that just to be on the safe side m8 :thumbsup:

Ok then, so the bloke took it back and tried to find the problem but he and his mechanic had no idea what it could be so i mentioned about the gravity valve and he said its a fair shout. They took apart the tank and saw that the part was faulty.

It got replaced, put back together and it was exactly the same. I was so gutted coz i thought that would defo be the problem.

Jester can u ask the ppl that sorted yours out if there was anything else that they did?

I had my cambelt changed a few weeks ago I wonder if that has anything to do with it too? Its a strange one, anyone i speak to has never seen anything like it before.