Would you buy this? (ebay TIP)

my criteria was a 4 ply replacement rather than 5 ply like the forge/samco items.... my 4 ply does the job nicely :)

animal could you please explain to me what is meant by 4 and 5 ply, what is the standard TIP.

I take it something to do with thickness and strength maybe.

yup exactly the that, the layers of silicone used..... the 4 plys are usually cheaper, you can also source 3 ply but id be weary....the originals are made from a different material so you wouldnt gauge them this way

Ok, thanks for the info. What thickness are the ones above and would you buy them for that price or would you pay the extra for a named brand.

na i wouldnt pay the extra knowing what i know now but cant be sure as to the quality of the above item either...bit of a gamble

only website i cant view at work is fleabay so cant view, sorry ;)

Ok, when you can view them would you let me know what you think quality wise.

I think they look good quality but cant say on the fitment of them.

will try mate although until you have it in your hand theres no way to be sure....what engine code do you have?

Ye I know what you mean. I have a AMK so the TIP is the same as a BAM isn't it.

I was looking for a cheaper tip on eBay the other day thanks for finding these haha. I read on one website, I think it was awesome gti, that the tips they sell have a wire wall in between the silicone and that any silicone tip would still suffer from slight colapse! I'm guessing that the difference will be marginal!

awww never knew that. I cant understand why the name brands are so expensive if you can get silicon TIP's for much cheaper.

Correct me if im wrong but dont these cheaper ones do the same as the Forge / Samco ones.

At the end of the day it's all silicone and companies describe it as some new revelutional material that will change your cars performance blah blah blah. I'm definitely going to get one of these instead of a pricey one, it'll be better than standard and maybe a tiny bit worse than a forge/samco.

I agree with your there Westle. Which one you going to get 1st or 2nd one.

i wonder how much it would cost to get an alloy one custom made? its something i've been thinking about as the samco kit for my car is £400 mind you its 12 parts

The cheapest one obviously haha. To be honest they're probably exactly the same grade of silicone it's just one company are trying to get an extra £10.

Let us know what it like when you get it.

i wonder how much it would cost to get an alloy one custom made? its something i've been thinking about as the samco kit for my car is £400 mind you its 12 parts

Good idea, you would still need some silicone piping to join the alloy tube to the MAF and Turbo housing ini.

I think it would cost fair bit more than a Forge one.

Anyone know if there is a good after market TIP for an APY engine without ESP? I know that the Forge one doesn't fit an S3 without ESP.

As a good guess they will be made in the same factory in china or where ever, its the same as many parts in the mountain bike industry.

If i were going to buy a fancy coloured piece of hose i would buy the cheaper one!

Anyone know if there is a good after market TIP for an APY engine without ESP? I know that the Forge one doesn't fit an S3 without ESP.

Yes it does, i havent got ESP and still fitted the same Tip forge do on mine, i fitted an SFS one, just need to alter some pipes :), simple's.

Yes it does, i havent got ESP and still fitted the same Tip forge do on mine, i fitted an SFS one, just need to alter some pipes :), simple's.

Yeah, I had a look at your write up. Not quite sure what you had to modify in order to get everything fitting.

The cheapest one obviously haha. To be honest they're probably exactly the same grade of silicone it's just one company are trying to get an extra £10.

Have you bought one yet Westle?

As a good guess they will be made in the same factory in china or where ever, its the same as many parts in the mountain bike industry.

If i were going to buy a fancy coloured piece of hose i would buy the cheaper one!

Is this the general consensus? Is the Forge hose not worth the extra ~£50?

ICE

What's the problem with the original tip then, I thought it was only the early S3's that suffered collapse, the later cars were more robust...or am I wrong.

Is this the general consensus? Is the Forge hose not worth the extra ~£50?

ICE

Well I dont believe they are that much better ( or £50 worth better ) than the cheap ones. You could argue that maybe more research has been put into developing it and its likely to have been tested alot, but its does the same job as a cheap one, stronger than the standard TIP and less likely to collapse on itself.

If someone thinks different and you wouldn't buy one of the cheaper TIP please say because thats what this thread is about.

Well there are some reports on here that the Silicon TIPs give a slightly better feeling of boost build up etc (so read slightly better performance), however, they are the top spec 5 ply ones...I've not yet read of anyone getting better out of the cheaper ones, so perhaps thats the difference...Higher the 'ply' better the results.

So, i'd opt for the best quality one which stands more chance of giving me results!

Fair point. I haven't read a review / thread on here where someone has actually bought a cheap one lol. Think any silicone TIP will be better than standard tho.

Il email the seller to see if he knows whay ply they are.

your not going to get a result from silicone, the best i heard was Glen getting around 10NM extra torque running high boost with FULL pipe kit - 5 ply TIP isnt gonna make an ounce of difference IMO....my 4ply is fine

Nar the early s3 tip's were actualy more robust (mine was), mine was reinforced by steel hoop's down near the bottom.
I had to alter the PCV system and n75 valve and extend them with silicone tubing and a few plastic fittings.

Think I'm going to have to have a look at mine later, if there's a little more power to be had I'm all for that...lol

I take it there easy enough to change/get to...

I fitted this one last week

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220370743133&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Could not believe how much it improved my car at higher RPM best mod I have fitted so far the original TIP was well weak and soft so I can see why I have 2001 AMK engine

Pinola, thanks for the info. Was waiting to see if soemone has fitted a non main brand item.

Just wondering does that one have any stickers or anything on it, and did it fit nicely, no need for cutting etc.

Ok well I bought a TIP (4 ply ) from ebay. Its a Autobahn one which I have read good reviews about it in the states and other forums. Quality is very good but the holes for the DV and breather pipe were very tight but managed to get it fitted nice and tight. No trimming needed.

Also bought a Jetex filter and silicone coupler and alloy joiners. Looks pretty nice the engine bay with the new goodies.

There is a noticeble difference in performance. It pulls better at the top of the rev range and doesnt die off as quick now. Had a quick check of the turbo also and it has no play in the shaft at all which is good. Overall im happy.

100_1470.jpg

100_1471.jpg

100_1447.jpg

looks great nattie..... not sure about ya filter gains though, you'd be the first to get enhanced performance from a cone and no CAI :)

looks great nattie..... not sure about ya filter gains though, you'd be the first to get enhanced performance from a cone and no CAI :)

I used to have a Green cotton filter before this and didnt really get any noticable performance gains, however my MAF values were higher.

Someone in uni was doing some testing a few weeks back on his VW Polo. He wanted to see if his K & N filter gave him any performance gains. He got an average increase of 8 bhp at the top of the rev range. Even though he got an increase, it is hard to really notice 8 bhp, but he did get an increase never the less.

The reason for my engine pulling slightly better at the top if due to the TIP. It has a more consitent diameter which is better for air flow, but the biggest difference is the diameters just before the turbo. My old TIP was very flat and narrow which slows down airflow just before it enters the turbo which aint good. I have some pics of the difference between new and old. I will do some logging on the weekend and post up the results.

Have a read of this, very interesting.
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=242751&highlight=jetex .
This thread got me waning a Jetex, plus it matches my car lol.

Last edited:
I've been thinking of getting an Autobahn88 one... will do now.

Its half the price of a Forge or Samco and very good quality. The breather pipe hole and DV hole were really tight but apart from that its well work it. Oh and meant to come with a lifetime warrenty.

Im always unsure of cone filters, no direct air flow so id assume its just going to start drawing in warm air which will lower performance.

You will get an increase in air flow, its been proven so many time, however is not a big enough increase to prehaps really notice it from a filter alone. With a TIP I have definatly noticed it pulls better top end and better throttle response.

I got a email from the seller of these TIP for 10 % off if you put in Audi1 in the promotional part on ebay. I have a AMK so yes it will fit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0276167381&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I paid about £51 all in around xmas but I think this seller has put his prices up a bit due to more demands of this item, Jetex did the same so bought mine from Bill (Badger 5).

I anyone wants links for the coupler and silicone joiner just ask or PM.