Anti roll help

b1gdave83

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can help? Any ideas?

A3 quattro 2001 - 1.8t 180bhp

My front anti roll bar keeps moving to one side, and then rubs on the intercooler pipe, and hits the sub frame.

I have replaced the drops links, mounts and bushes. There isn't any play at all.

However everytime i move it to its correct loaction, it slowly makes it way back about 500miles later :keule:

Shocks and springs don't seem to need replacing.

Has anyone got any ideas? or had a simlier problems (i know about the A2 having this problem, but that seems to be the bushes)

Does your bar have stoppers along the bar to hold it centrally?

I mean you've changed most things that would cause these issues, bushes would be most common, maybe you should source a smaller diameter bush to hold it tighter in place mate, not to much smaller to cause extremem pressures on the brackets/bolts holding in place, powerflex do aftermarket bushes & Damian@dpm whose a seller on this site can assist with these aswell, he's a top bloke & great service.

Cant think of anything else atm except suspension.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply.

I was looking at getting the powerflex ones, but i came up with the conclusion that something must be pushing or pulling it.

On the quattro the anti roll bar link connects the strut not the wishbone like the 1.8T front wheel drives. Yes i have checked the bushes on the wishbones that was my first port of call.

I've got powerflex replacements for the wishbones at home, but before i fit them i was wondering if the arm was bent would that cause it?

What a tit I am, oops sorry mate I was working remotely to my desktop & must have missed the A3 bit, numpty, edited to reflect.

I will check again mate & get back to you.

Yeah same system as the 8P, I would be looking at few things, arb bush clamps are minor concern & shouldnt be issue but check them for any distortion, maybe add something on top of the bushes to make it grip more from the clamp, even some cardboard would do just for a test & see if this resolves it mate & shouldnt be an issue in any wet wetaher just when testing given pressure of the clamps shouldnt allow any water into the cardboard, check the bushes on the arms/sub as if its got new top mounts on suspension & new connecting links then cant be alot else mate & I dont see it being suspension, assuming you've already checked the suspension for any play etc.

I have an issue with my steering atm where had aligned number of times but keeps going out so I have gotta check the rack again & the poxy rods & measure if at correct length setting, what a ballbreaker it is gonna be, before condemning the replacement rack, not happy given I just replaced blown turbo, such is life.

Last edited:
Lol no worries.

Thats hursh regarding the turbo. you must have a heavy right foot :w00t:

I havn't changed the top mounts yet! Didn't think of that one.

Ah, thought you said you'd changed mounts already, I'd check for movement but as an example mate, I had stock suspension, I upgraded to new springs & shocks which were pretty good tbh, almost straight away I noticed a bit of movement & checked the mounts, they were short of a better word fecked, so swapped & seems to have sorted the movement I was experiencing, that was on an 04 car after 4 years you can imagine an 01 after 8 years, you might be ok, but for cost its worthwhile tbh.

I have changed the top mounts on my previous A3 1.8T front wheel drive, not to hard to fit those where fecked as well. Espically the back ones.

Think i might go mad, and just change every thing on the front end.

I'll start of with wish bones, just in case there bent.
Change the top mounts and then go from there.
Then buy an after market anti roll bar, but i'll try and get one with the stoppers.

have ou ever tried the fibi wish bones? OEM cost a fortune. They look the same

By the way of topic don't ever buy the JOM coil over kits! they fit but...
the top mounts wern't perfect, the rear shocks leaked after a 5000 miles. And the rear adjustable seat was crap, kept coming loose and moving around. Looked ****** good, handled better but still..... Never again.

Check DPM for arb & anything else mate, credit to the market & will do all needed to help you out.

Nah mate not heard of Fibi tbh, but what you been doing to even think they're bent, need something serious to bend them.

I'm not into coily's tbh, YET, but I will note that thanks.

I'll check them out thanks i have found balance motorsport which seem reasonable.

Nothing i have done! i have only recently bought the car, and only noticed today that the front wing and bumper has been replaced .
and the front scuttle panel holding radiator etc is cracked and slightly pushed back, me thinks it has been repaired.

So I’m presuming the worse, I’m defiantly getting 4 wheel alignment done now

Oh dear, somethings bent possibly then mate, lets hope its not a jig job

:yahoo: Yey!! nothings bent!!!
Went to AMD in surrey to get it all checked out. Only comment was the tracking was slightly out.

I had changed the wishbones and track rod ends, prior to going.

While changing the wishbones, I stumbled across a very worn front drive shaft. If it wasn't for the 4 wheel drive, I probably would have noticed it before now.

So far since the anti-roll bar has stopped moving to one side. But only after changing:
Wishbones, Anti-roll bar bushes, drop links oh and the ****ed drive shaft.

I must say... I was very impressed with the customer service I received from AMD. Simon (owner of that branch in surrey) was brilliant! I'd recommend them to anyone. :icon_thumright: