Cruise control - A3 Quattro 2001

b1gdave83

Reaction score
Hi guys i'm new to this forum, but i have a couple of questions for you regarding fitting cruise control.

I have done research before posting so i understand what i need to do.

I have found the guide :)
I have VAG com
I can easily make the addtional loom required.

But Audi say that i can't fit it to my car?? there is'nt a part number. EKTA doesn't list it either.

I have drive by wire (no throttle cable)
Engine code ARY i belive - 1.8T 180BHP version 2001 (face lift)

I'm sure i can, as other people with the same engine code don't seem to have any problems.

Does anyone know the part number for the correct kit, so i can give it to TPS in burgess hill. I refuse to use ebay.

erm i d give awesome a call as they retrofit these kits, see if they have a kit for your engine, that will be enough confirmation to know whether you should pursue

I bought the following for my AMK engine 2001 facelift S3

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370095852365

I know its from ebay but for the money its got all you need (inc looms).

The instruction book is for a Golf but I looked up a list of VW engine codes, found one that was close for spec and year then used that as a guide. You only need to know the engine code to know which loom to use and which pins to connect in the ECU plug as the coding etc is the same (I think)

Mine was the 120 pole plug IIRC...

Brilliant mod, use it all the time :)

<tuffty/>

oooh oooh oooh tufts...keep meaning to get around to this (only website i cant get on at wrok - chuffin ebay!!)....will this work with the BAM and whats the price?

oooh oooh oooh tufts...keep meaning to get around to this (only website i cant get on at wrok - chuffin ebay!!)....will this work with the BAM and whats the price?

Should work fine mate and its £75 + £6.95 p+p

<tuffty/>

Dunno mate, full is what I have... not tried with owt else...

<tuffty/>

yeah, need it to switch it on... you could at a push take it to an obliging Audi dealer I guess... IIRC, you said JBS is close to you? they should be able to sort it or if you get it fitted before Oct 10th and are coming to Castle Combe then one of us should have VAGCOM handy for your cruise home ;P

<tuffty/>

Thanks guys, yes it can be fitted! :jump:

appartenlty from the dealer its £70 for the kit! the ebay guys add a little bit to it.

i just need the dam part number of a VW that will matches, by any chance do you syill have to box it came in? part number on the side?

cheers Tuft...not coming to castle as its just too far...have to get dog sitters etc :)

Dave, that was my next port of call, good find mate..usually the case with most ebay stuff i find, if its genuine

Thanks guys, yes it can be fitted! :jump:

appartenlty from the dealer its £70 for the kit! the ebay guys add a little bit to it.

i just need the dam part number of a VW that will matches, by any chance do you syill have to box it came in? part number on the side?

No mate soz.... Mine came as a manual, 2 looms and a boxed CC stalk.

Try here for manuals...

http://vwgolfr32.co.uk/shop/Fitting-Guides.htm

The Golf/Bora CC fitting guide has part numbers for the looms in it and I have also done a thread myself in this forum (search is your friend) with some numbers in it which may include the stalk (can't remember)

<tuffty/>

... as I am nice etc...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=63006#26

...although IIRC, the parts dept at my local VW didn'y recognise the part numbers when I called them to confirm as I was trying to get individual prices as a comparison... these looms may belong to other cars in the VAG group...

<tuffty/>

I pulled this out of your post

1J0 953 513 01C (stalk) £49.98 + VAT
1J0 971 425 A (stalk loom) £21.05 + VAT
1J0 971 425 B (80 pole ECU harness) (don't exist - but they do)
1J0 971 425 C (121 pole ECU harness) (don't exist - but they do)

Thanks again i presume, i can get away with just the stalk and stalk loom, and extended the wires to the ECU is that right?

Those prices where from TPS in Burgess hill

Last edited:
really want to get around to doing this at some point at 75% of my driving is on motorway!

You may be able to find the stork cheaper from else where ie ebay

i'll search around to try it find it cheaper and post anything i find

VAG-COM side of things is easy, enter the login 11463 in the Engine 01 controller

I pulled this out of your post

1J0 953 513 01C (stalk) £49.98 + VAT
1J0 971 425 A (stalk loom) £21.05 + VAT
1J0 971 425 B (80 pole ECU harness) (don't exist - but they do)
1J0 971 425 C (121 pole ECU harness) (don't exist - but they do)

Thanks again i presume, i can get away with just the stalk and stalk loom, and extended the wires to the ECU is that right?

Those prices where from TPS in Burgess hill

The Stalk loom IIRC connects to the fuse box for power and clips into the plug/socket thingy Audi use at the scuttle then the 'mystery looms' extend to the ECU...

So you should be ok just extending the loom... That said... looking at the inc VAT prices you may as well get the kit from VW Teeside tbh...

<tuffty/>

Sounds like you're keen to do it yourself, so this information may be completely useless to you. But for info, and for anyone else reading the thread, I had mine done by an independent company that does a whole variety of aftermarket things for VW and Audis. Very good service. Definitely worth getting if you're on the motorway a lot!

http://www.vwcruise.com/index.html

Hope that helps!

Steve

Yeah i was thinking that!

thank you again for all your help. You have defetnly made it easy for me

:rockwoot:

I like doing everything myself, saves the pennys :p I've changed quite a few engines in my time, and converted quite a few pug 205's to mi16 & S16 and even fitted twin 45 Webbers.

But the Froggy cars were unreliable, and I’ve got kids now that’s why I have moved over to German cars best thing i have ever done.

Hi
Yes Manchester , just down from the Trafford Centre
So you can have a trip to do more shopping if you like? :D
We are just between the M60 and the M6 , so quite central really
Sarah

Yes and No it's not impossible.... but you can't do it the way we are doing it with the ECU.

You will end up spending loads and loads!!

You will have to buy an aftermarket kit.

Saying that my mate took one of a honda prelude and fitted it to he's pug, i ended up helping on the wiring side of things. Alot of messing around.

Thats a bargain!!!! If you live near awsome get them to do it!!

I ended up using ebay, £75 for the parts and you get (the missing loom) which according to VAG you can't buy.

just to add - you dont need a registered version of vagcom to turn it on - trial is fine.

I used the ebay kit and it works perfectly on my 2001 BAM.

Stage one complete (and the airbag didn't go off in my face :scared2:)

New indicator stork fitted today at work took 15 minutes so far:icon_thumright:

Which involed:
Airbag removal
Steering wheel removal
Plastic trim
Slip ring removal - (steering wheel position sensor)
Removal and replacement of new indicator stalk

Sounds worse than it was.

Only the wiring left to do tomorrow.

By the way the manual they give you isn't quite right for our cars by hey it's step in the right direction. The Air bag & steering wheel is a bit different and it's shows everything for a left hand drive.

Before i start tomorrow anyone know the following: (to be honest i havn't looked yet)

Location of the electrical box, do you really have to remove the wiper system?

Just answering my own question:

No, you don't have to remove the wiper system, there is just enough room to remove the lid of electrical connecting box.

However removing the lid is a bit of a sod, as audi have glued the rubber boot protecting all the wires.

You also don't have to remove the pollen filter (maybe its different on left hand drive cars)

Putting the wires in the connector is a little tight, but more than possible, i used long nose pliers to help.

I've only got to put the wires into the ECU now, oh and connect in the back of the fuse carrier (number 5).

I got three looms in the kit, the first one connects to the criuse control stork, fuse and connector block located under the wiper system (drivers side). Then the other connects to the plug and off to the ECU. that makes two. the third one isn't required.

It is nice having it the OEM way, however if i was doing it again i wouldn't bother using the connector block. i'd just crimp the looms together and run it straight to the ECU to save time and effort.

If any one lives in sussex (brighton/Burgess Hill) and wants this done, i'll be more than happy to do it for a small price :friends:

I'll let you guys know later if it all works :weight_lift2: by the way my engine code isn't listed as compatable 'ARY' (but it is DBW)

Last edited:
Thanks buddy :icon_thumright: All worked perfectly.

Just another note: if you don't have a tool to extract the fuse wire out the fuse board then don't! Strip the wire and solder instead. :think:

Thanks again everyone.

Hi guys, this is my first post and I'm looking for help!

I am retrofitting cruise control but am unsure as to which VW engine code is the closest to my S3 engine code AMK?

I have found a list with some engine codes (Unsure if this is definative?) and think that AUQ might be the closest? I dont want to end up putting the wires in the wrong holes on the ECU plug! The fitting guide that I am using is the one from VW Teeside.

Any help much appreciated.

John

I just fitted mine today, was using the VW Teesside kit off ebay.

I had the audi wiring diagram for cruise for 1999 APY like mine, opened up the ECU plug and..... f**k, the pins on the wiring diagram that 'should' have been spare and ready for my CC loom were used for something else already.

I just went through the guide supplied with the kit and counted out all the pins. turned out there was only one of the options that had all the required pins free in the connector so I have just used that.

Gonna get it coded tomorrow so hopefully they are all in right and it all works.

U need hands like a ten year old girl to get in to the bulkhead connector in the car side.

Oh and if you don;t have the right kit to remove the wiring clips in the fuseboard, here's what I did. Cut two really thin slivers of plastic from something like the side of a (clean) plastic bottle like about 2-3 mm wide by about two inches long, once you have flicked the purple locking plastic bit across, slot the two plastic slivers in one on either side of the fuse connection to push the barbs back (look at the replacement one in your kit and the barbs are obvious) then pull it out from the back.

Oh and the ECU plug, I couldn't get the fecker off, turns out i wasn;t being bold enough pulling the locking tab out to the side (Cheers Ewan/Biggied!!!) - you kind of need to pull the tab out to the sisde while simultaneaously pulling th eplug off the ecu, same for reinstalling plug, push it while also pushing the tab in at the side.

Oh and also if you do like i did and use the spare rebbur bung at the bulkhead connection box (for T10e) then a tip to get the wires through it...
Make a really small hole in it like with a drawing pin,
soak it in really hot water for a minute or two,
line it up as it has to go in so you have the outside of the bung facing the end of the loom,
stick a soap-lubricated bic pen lid through the pinhole small end first until the fat end of the pen lid is just about at the hole,
stick the four wires for the loom into the pen lid and then pull the whole lot through. u get a nice neat hole that is tight around your wire.