Cat rattle? new one or upgrade?

kitpayne

Reaction score
As the title says my cat was making the apparently common rattle. I took it to a friend who put it on a ramp and welded the heat shield as there was 3 or 4 bolts missing. Once welded he gave it a shake to check the rattle and it was better but he said it was rattling inside the cat and that i would need a new one.

I have an MOT coming up soon so was wondering if i will need a new one or if it will be ok til the MOT (jan).

If it would need a new one for the emissions, how much would a new one be? or should i just get a de cat one?

Sorry not sure on the cost of new OE cats, unless you want to upgrade my opinion would be wait untill your cats actually fail by falling apart inside or you fail the MOT.

When you are forced to replace I would spend the money on a decent set of stainless 200cell sports cats, I wouldn't go down the de-cat route as it will be real loud and won't pass any MOTs.

Not sure to be honest, I'm looking at making some up in the next month or so as I run a company selling sports exhausts for Supercars. If there is much interest I could get the factory to make a few sets up.

I know Milltek already make these, if you do a search on google I'm sure you'll be able to find someone that offers them. In fact I bet one of the board sponsors sell them? I can't comment on the quality of the Milltek units but I'm sure there will be a write up on this forum somewhere.

does any body know how much a new CAT is form Audi. I was thinking of doing this £50 MOT thing and getting a new one. Just wondered if or how much over £750 they are???

I think the Milltek ones are £660 approx, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Audi ones were a similar price, mine are on the way out and will be replaced with Milltek.

Chris