It's cambelt change time, or is it?

GeneralWest

Reaction score
I've got a 2000 S3 with the APY lump. I understand that the cambelt should be done every 60k. My cars getting on for 118k. Just checked the service history and the first change was done at the main dealers at 80k (better late than never I suppose!).

Should I go ahead and get it done soon or will I be safe to wait till nearer 140k? I don't mind forking out the cash if it's needed now but the money would be usefull for other things too. Any advice would be welcome.

Depends when it was done as it's every 60k miles or 4 years whichever comes sooner, so whatever way you look at it it's probably due unless you've done 38k miles in the last 3 years

Mine is on 113K now but the previous owner had the cambelt done 2 years ago on 70K (he did a lot of motorway driving) so I'm leaving mine until next years service. The cambelt is a bit of a lottery from what I understand.

Cheers, for the input. Yes, the four years will be up in early 2010. Guess I'll have to get it done in the next couple of months.

Well they do say 4-5 years so you've got a bit of time, but sooner rather than later.

Thanks for reminding me about the water pump impellers. I'll get the pump and tensioners done at the same time. Luckily, I work for a parts company so I can make sure I get the right stuff at the right price :happy:.

I remember going through our pump stock about a year ago with a magnet for a mate who runs a Mk4 Golf 1.8T, all of ours were metal at the time.

Now I've just got to find someone who I trust enough to let them take my car apart. :scared2:

had mine done at 70000 miles about 3 years ago and car has now done 112000,had all the tensioners and new waterpump fitted,couldnt be bothered to do it myself so got the local dealer to do it,audi state on the a3 quattro that the cambelt should be changed every 80000 miles which to me is too high but did ask this and the service guy,he said at the time that if the cambelt had of snapped before 80000 miles that audi would foot the repair bill which i thought was every good as the car is a 2000 w reg which we have had from almost new,