Noisy Turbo?

Y83OLK

Hulk Smash!
Reaction score
Hi.
Do S3's have a noisier turbo than other vag 1.8T's?
Reason i say is ive been driving a mk4 golf GTIt today, and i can barely hear the turbo spool up.
Wheras diving my Audi, i can hear the turbo clearly...not a bad noise, just a whooosh noise.

Or could i have a problem? Diverter valve. boost leak etc?. my car seems to pull hard from 2800rpm to 5000ish.

Ive only had the vehicle for 14 days, and its been like this since i picked it up.... hope its not another problem to add to my list :(

Callum

Turbo sizes and boost pressures govern how loud a turbo is at spooling up. The Mk4 Gti Turbo is only running a low boost iirc. Whereas the S3 will be running higher and has a bigger turbo.

Someone will correct me here if i'm wrong but i assume thats the differences!

G

I guess their different turbo's too...k03/4/s?
Its a longshot, but does anyone have a vid/soundclip of their s3, driving steady?..changing at 3-4krpm?

Hmm might be a long shot that one. Whats the issue worried your turbo is louder than it should be?

If it's not loosing boost i'd not worry about it. If it's not driving right get it on VagCom or investigated.

G

Forgot to say, mines fairly loud and can hear mine even at low speeds while driving normally.

G

Its not the noise im worried about... infact i quite like the noise.
If i was losing boost i would like to know... but just watching out for any abnormalities.

Ive also heard remapping makes the turbo wooshier.. the thought even crossed my mind that it may have been remapped at some point.

Remap definately makes more whoosh!

I love the sound though and often drive with the windows down just to hear the turbo spool up!!