AH FabricationsJMB Retrofits
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    S3 Wannabe's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    196

    Need a little help with upgraded bulbs

    Hi guys!

    Need a liitle advice on whether the bulbs below are any good??? -Or can you suggest better????

    http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/501...idelights.html

    Over the summer i hardly drove at night, however was reminded last night how poor standard main beam vision (with original bulbs) is at night.

    Thanks for any help!
    Silver 2003 S4 Avant

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Numptie of the highest order

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Crowthorne, England
    Posts
    2,512
    Those are just sidelights, if you want to make a difference you'll need replacement xenon bulbs, I did mine and the new bulbs are great, found some osram 5k bulbs that worked a treat.

  4. #3
    mattyboy199's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,688
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

    2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

    wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

  5. #4
    S3 Wannabe's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by god_thats_quick View Post
    Those are just sidelights, if you want to make a difference you'll need replacement xenon bulbs, I did mine and the new bulbs are great, found some osram 5k bulbs that worked a treat.
    Thanks mate. Are these the ones you meant? -If so I hope it's the cheaper ones! -I wasn't budgeting for 80!

    http://www.thelightbulbshop.co.uk/Sh...eadlightBulbs/
    Silver 2003 S4 Avant

  6. #5
    Ross_S4

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dundee
    Posts
    718
    http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/ultimate-...te-p-1684.html

    I used these sidelights in my S3.

    I tried all sorts of incandescent (spelling?) sidelight bulbs and to be honest they all looked pretty crap compared to this, especially with the factory HIDs.

  7. #6
    mattyboy199's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,688
    Quote Originally Posted by rossbrownlee View Post
    http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/ultimate-...te-p-1684.html

    I used these sidelights in my S3.

    I tried all sorts of incandescent (spelling?) sidelight bulbs and to be honest they all looked pretty crap compared to this, especially with the factory HIDs.

    Thats what i am running
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

    2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

    wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

  8. #7
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bromley, South East London
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy199 View Post
    Thats what i am running
    mattyboy - do these work with no problems and match the xenons was debating purchasing the PIAA Terra LED's for 80 quid if these work I will get these as they are considerably cheaper.

    Thanks Chris.

  9. #8
    The Doctor's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,197
    How much are we looking at for a replacement set of Xenons? Seen a few posts on here about uprated Xenons that have tempted me!

  10. #9
    S3 Wannabe's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 Wannabe View Post
    Hi guys!

    Need a liitle advice on whether the bulbs below are any good??? -Or can you suggest better????

    http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/501...idelights.html

    Over the summer i hardly drove at night, however was reminded last night how poor standard main beam vision (with original bulbs) is at night.

    Thanks for any help!
    Apolgies gents (and ladies). Just checked my original post and the link was incorrect. It is the main beam lights I'm after and not side lights!

    http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h4-bulbs.html
    Silver 2003 S4 Avant

  11. #10
    banoffee's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    128
    have fitted a pair of H7 osram nightbrakers for highbeam in my facelift S3 and some simple LED sidelight bulbs as hadd them lying around. impressed so far

  12. #11
    The Doctor's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,197
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy199 View Post
    Thats what i am running
    Do they just plug straight in as direct replacements for the standard bulbs?

  13. #12
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    111
    www.hr-products.co.uk
    send us a email we can beat autobulbs prices

  14. #13
    golf's Avatar
    ***** rent boy

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhatton View Post
    www.hr-products.co.uk
    send us a email we can beat autobulbs prices
    Do you just come on here to sell things?

  15. #14
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    111
    no.... other wise i would sponser the site.... and i sponser 5 sites already i come on hear as i own a audi a3, 1.8 turbo and i am having major work done to it.....

    so far i havnt had to much help... but that doesn't matter...

    i am saying that if you or any other member was looking for some bulbs pop over to that site and send a email

    thanks

  16. #15
    Smoked.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6
    Can you stop hi-jacking my thread please! PEOPLE! Please ignore this ignoramus and post your wonderful words of wisdom HERE

  17. #16
    Smoked.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6

  18. #17
    Smoked.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6

  19. #18
    S3 Wannabe's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    196
    I'm probably playing the stupid card but what the hell!

    I need a main beam replacement bulb for the car. (i.e normal driving at night and not high beam -dazzling the crap out of everyone bulb!). I assumed I needed an H4 bulb, until i went onto this website and apparently it's an H7. What -if any, is the difference?????

    www.powerbulbs.com

    going for an osram nightbreaker or high performing phillips. thanks for the help!
    Silver 2003 S4 Avant

  20. #19
    S3 Wannabe's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    196
    aaarrrgggghhhh!!!!!!! after looking at this I may need D2S bulbs???!!!! anyone any ideas???? My handbook is crap, says something about xenons but doesn't say if i have them or give me a number.
    How and why can changing bulbs be so complicated!!!???


    Headlights / bulbs - differences within 8L
    Silver 2003 S4 Avant

  21. #20
    golf's Avatar
    ***** rent boy

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,553
    Dipped beam = Normal every day driving lights you use all the time.
    Main beam = Extra bright light for when driving alone in the dark.

    I think the bulbs you are wanting to change are the dipped beam ones. These are indeed D2S bulbs, which are very fiddly to change. There's not much you can do to improve the light output with the S3, the bulbs you have in at the moment give the most light. The problem with the S3 is that the actual projectors are complete crap. You could try and raise the beam level a few turns so the light spreads out further, but beyond that there's not much that'll help.

  22. #21
    S3KO4's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    850
    I changed my D2S a few month ago not too hard, you can pull the head light out held by the screws on the top, and it would make things a lot quicker! I bought a set on ebay, very happy with it, went for 6000K, but you could also choose 8000K which is bluer, changed mine as it lost the colour after 8 years use was more yellowish. hope it helps,
    S3-8L REVO stage 2, Milltek, 3" DP & custom 3" decat, RS2 spark plugs, 4 bar FPR, Green-Cotton uprated upper/lower boost hose & TIP, Front Zimmerman & Ferrodo. LCR spliter. boost gauge, smoothed AB. Aero blades, H&R 5mm spacers. Best time 14.03sec, 0-62 in 5.7sec. 207gs @ 25psi , polished inlet mani. VAGCOM 805.1

  23. #22
    S3 Wannabe's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by S3KO4 View Post
    I changed my D2S a few month ago not too hard, you can pull the head light out held by the screws on the top, and it would make things a lot quicker! I bought a set on ebay, very happy with it, went for 6000K, but you could also choose 8000K which is bluer, changed mine as it lost the colour after 8 years use was more yellowish. hope it helps,
    thanks for the replies.

    did you notice a good level of improvement with the 6K's??? -over what were (presumably) original 4300K bulbs??

    I'll take any improvement on the poor vision I have at present, what i currently have really don't fill me confidence!
    Silver 2003 S4 Avant

  24. #23
    S3KO4's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    850
    Well they look much better, to what it was, as for brightness not a huge difference but certainly noticed some improvements.
    S3-8L REVO stage 2, Milltek, 3" DP & custom 3" decat, RS2 spark plugs, 4 bar FPR, Green-Cotton uprated upper/lower boost hose & TIP, Front Zimmerman & Ferrodo. LCR spliter. boost gauge, smoothed AB. Aero blades, H&R 5mm spacers. Best time 14.03sec, 0-62 in 5.7sec. 207gs @ 25psi , polished inlet mani. VAGCOM 805.1

  25. #24
    golf's Avatar
    ***** rent boy

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 Wannabe View Post
    thanks for the replies.

    did you notice a good level of improvement with the 6K's??? -over what were (presumably) original 4300K bulbs??

    I'll take any improvement on the poor vision I have at present, what i currently have really don't fill me confidence!
    Like I said previously, the higher the colour temperature of the bulb the lower the light output (measured in lumens). Optimum temperature is between 4300k - 4700k, which is what ALL manufacturers use from the factory, any purple or blue that you see is because of the projector and has nothing to do with the bulb.

    I have 5000k and these are probably the highest you can go without sacrificing usability. The whole point of xenons is to increase safety by being able to see further and wider, with a concentrated area of light.

    The S3 projectors are cloudy and have a poor cut off which is why people complain about not being able to see at night, changing your bulbs to 6k or 8k will only produce more glare and tire out your eyes on long journeys.

    5k is a good compromise as you get pure white light and still get very good light output. I've got these in mine and have raised the beam a little bit and it's certainly improved things.

  26. #25
    S3 Wannabe's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    Like I said previously, the higher the colour temperature of the bulb the lower the light output (measured in lumens). Optimum temperature is between 4300k - 4700k, which is what ALL manufacturers use from the factory, any purple or blue that you see is because of the projector and has nothing to do with the bulb.

    I have 5000k and these are probably the highest you can go without sacrificing usability. The whole point of xenons is to increase safety by being able to see further and wider, with a concentrated area of light.

    The S3 projectors are cloudy and have a poor cut off which is why people complain about not being able to see at night, changing your bulbs to 6k or 8k will only produce more glare and tire out your eyes on long journeys.

    5k is a good compromise as you get pure white light and still get very good light output. I've got these in mine and have raised the beam a little bit and it's certainly improved things.

    Cheers squire. You sound like a man in the know!
    Silver 2003 S4 Avant

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO