Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S3 money pit?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by csweatherston View Post
    Eagle - Its a a lot more difficult than the other 1.8T cambelt changes. having the Tb on the opposite side and a lot of different pipes etc makes it so much more time consuming.
    If your not very competant with a spanner i would leave it to the garage.
    to put perspective on it, I did my old dears Golf gti 1.8t belt change in around 1:30.. wheras my s3 took just over 5:00
    Thanks for that csweatherston. I'll save the pennies and get it sorted out by the garage then as 5 hrs for you could be who know how long for me.
    Gone but not forgotten - Silver 2001 210BHP AMK, Black/blue interior, no silver/alloy mirrors, Brembo brakes, Standard LCR disc and DS2000 pads, Bilstein B8 shocks with H&R Springs.
    Present - VW 1.9TDI Passat SE
    To come - A3 Sportback BE 2.0TDI 140

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    the 1800 on my credit card and the masses of other cash i have spent on the car would tend to agree with the OP.
    heh heh.

I want to change all my bushes out next as the car has done 115k do you guys think it would be wise as a matter of course to change the bushes at this age even though the mechanic has checked them and says that he thinks they all seem ok ?
    P.S. have already change front ARB and front wishbone front bushes.

James

Hulk Smash!

Status
    Hopefully my rear bearing will be the last job i have to do for a while...this time tomorrow my car should be perfect (touch wood)
    Theres a lot of comments in here about suspension mods changing peoples opinion of the car, Is it really that bad in standard form?..

Bring on the Ice!!

Status
    the difference is amazing
    S3 2001, Met Blk, Blk leather, armrest, cruise control, alu WM, TTRS 18s, Bose, Revo, H&R, Billies, FMIC, porsche GT3 calipers, R32 disks, quickshifter, new S3 gearstick, Neuspeed/R32 ARBs

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Effect View Post
    I want to change all my bushes out next as the car has done 115k
    Just had mine replaced with Powerflex on the front w/bones & ARBs - much better now. Car has done 65k, so at 115k it sounds like you'll be due a new set soon anyway.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by csweatherston View Post
    Hopefully my rear bearing will be the last job i have to do for a while...this time tomorrow my car should be perfect (touch wood)
    Theres a lot of comments in here about suspension mods changing peoples opinion of the car, Is it really that bad in standard form?..
    The standard stuff is a bit soft and wallowy during corners out the box, uprated changed the car's handling quite a bit.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Reverse Gear

Status
    HHHM i agree money pit

i had to have two new coils
    new aux water pump
    new air filter
    oil
    oil filter

and lots of petrol aaarrgghh oh well i do love it and i have only had it 2 weeks, i just hope i dont have any other probs as im well into my overdraft after insurance and all the bits iv had to buy oh well

i must admit im driving it really carfully as i cant afford to break it
    it still glugs the juice tho...i bung 20quid in it and the on board comp says
    150miles range i get about 90 miles thats the price of a performance mota i spose....imagine what a s8 v10 consumes........

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    You cant count service components like oil and filter as this is all part of maintaining any car.

When you set out to buy a 2nd hand car without a warrenty you need to factor in the costs of things going wrong. I put 100 a month into a specific car account to spend on service, Tax, insurance, and MOT when they come round. That way I wont get caught short. If anything mechanical goes wrong it comes out of my main pay.

I dont see any point in driving round carefully just incase something breaks or you'll always be worrying and not enjoying the car. I drive it like I stole it and if it breaks, it breaks.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

ZoomZoom

Status
    Since I bought it in march:

2 rear tyres: 250
    Oil change I done myself: 60
    haldex oil + filter 95

so in 6 months only 405

Think I spent more on my corsa when I had it

but touchwood it stays low cost running. But overall there great cars and I wouldn't change it 4 the world, all cars have problems from times 2 times, if u want a low cost run around get a cheap fiesta, if u want a quick fun car stick with the S3, simple
    My Much Missed :Imola Yellow S3 - Revo stage 2, SPS3, RS6 reps, Pirelli P Zero Rosso, Cupra R splitter, Brembo's, 323mm EBC Turbo Grooved Discs, Ferrodo DS2500 Pads, Forge DV, Forge FMIC, Fidanza Aluminium Flywheel, Sachs Clutch, Green Cotton Dynatwist induction kit, 3" Downpipe, sports cat, Milltek cat back, Bilstein B8's, KW rear adjustable tie bars Whiteline Adjustable ARB's, Eibach Springs, Powerflex Bushes, Bose Concert System

Now : Cupra R 225

Hulk Smash!

Status
    It never rains it pours!
    Rear wheel bearing was one of the most awkward i have done in a while, i even had to make a puller for it!.
    Ontop of that, one partially seized rear calliper, and a bleed nipple which wont budge

1st Gear

Status
    mine is starting to cost some pennies now too, have had to replace the front cv boots, rear pads, front wishbone bushes recently, and tonight the headlight switch has gone weird and turns the front fogs on at the same time ! from looking at some old posts it is about 90 for a new switch !

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westle View Post
    I put 100 a month into a specific car account to spend on service, Tax, insurance, and MOT when they come round. That way I wont get caught short. If anything mechanical goes wrong it comes out of my main pay.
    Yep, that's exactly what I do. That way the "expected" costs are covered before they arise and it's only the unexpected ones to fork out for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12