DV diagnosis

twist123

Reaction score
Morning,

Need a bit of help, I think my DVs gone but would be very helpful if someone could confirm.

Basically turbo starts the faint whistle, when I pull in the clutch and change gear it makes a weird sound, not a whoosh like a turbo dumping but definitely sounds like air with a bit of something else. Only started recently.

Much appreciated

Thanks for the quick reply, its standard (100k miles on it!), how do I check it?

Any ideas what else it could be if its not the DV, as it only does it when I change gears?

If its the original valve from new I'd chang it if I was you.

Do you notice a fluttering noise when the turbo kicks in and you're accelerating?

The DV is located to the right of the engine as you face it near the back. Remove it and unscrew it and there is a rubber diaphram inside, check that for splits. If it all looks ok then we'll think of some other things to check.

If its the original valve from new I'd chang it if I was you.

Do you notice a fluttering noise when the turbo kicks in and you're accelerating?

The DV is located to the right of the engine as you face it near the back. Remove it and unscrew it and there is a rubber diaphram inside, check that for splits. If it all looks ok then we'll think of some other things to check.

Okay, will do. Do you know if VW sell the same part? No Audi near work.

Havent noticed it, just the usual turbo sound through the revs, but now I will listen out for it. Will it flutter throughout the rev range and will it be obvious or faint?

Thanks again.

Will try at lunchtime, tbh cant say I have heard it, roads are wet so a bit of a pain to hear anything though.

I ran Vagcom and no errors were present.

Westle, would it be worthwhile upgrading to a Forge DV, I think its an AGU (2000 model), which forge should I look for if so. Is there any maintenance required for them?

Thanks

Decided to opt for the stock DV in the end, couldnt justify the £80. The guy at audi sold me the 710N valve though as he said it was specified for my car. Will fit today, and get back.

Yet to fit, if its okay, I may take the part back to audi.

tbh been thinking about getting new hoses, dv etc as part of good maintenance as the car has touched 100k. DV was 28 after VAT if anyone else is thinking about it.

Changed the DV from a 710G to a 710N.

Difference - Turbo seems quieter, in lower revs the turbo feels like it kicks a very little more.

710G diaphragm was fine.

The noise is still there, it does it when the motors cold and idling to, had a look under the car and I think its the heatshield on the cat, making a slight vibration at certain engine load or idle when its cold.

The new DV is definitely an improvement though, so wasnt a waste of money as low rev range pickup is better and mpg went up by 0.3.

Thanks for your help Westle.