White Smoke From Exhaust Manifold Area!!!

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Afternoon boys and girls.
Just want to know your opinion on a little problem.
Had the cambelt done the other week and the mechanic spilled some power steering fluid on the exhaust manifold, said may get some white smoke but dont worry, anyway never got any.
2 weeks down the line on thursday, was sat on the m1 in standstill traffic for 30mins so car was a bit warm as it had a run then stop. Just to note too ive cut the rubber strip that seals the boonet around the wiper area so to allow heat to escape and boy you should see the heat that does escape unreal tothink thats trapped under the engine, anyway so white smoke poured out from that region for about 20 secs, abit thick then stopped, so pulled of onto had shoulder and checked everything, nothing, no signs of anything.
So the same thing has just happened tonight but literaly was like the amount youd get from a cigarette but this time i could see it around the exhaust area but was so faint, took the car for a run and its fine, no power loss etc. There is a bit off oil around the block though from previous oil leaks etc that have been fixed but never cleaned off.

So any ideas?:think:

Probaly just thats the hotest the engine has been since the fluid was spilled, so it then burnt off ?

Yeah i thought that until it happened yestarday like i said and the car hadnt been on that long of a run to get that hot.

Its amazing how much smoke a very tiny amount of oil/fluid can create

does cutting the rubber strip make any difference to the way the car drives ?
Ie heat soak etc.

Cutting the strips only half the story, take to cut the front grille up too but yes its made a massive difference, the heat that it releases is untrue :).

Just thought id report what the problem was or still is.

My rocker cover gasket is leaking oil onto my exhaust manifold so when in traffic etc its burning off and causing smoke, just need to get anew gasket now lol.

My rocker cover gasket is leakin oil to and the same thing is happinin to me!!!

Yup, isnt good, first it did it to me i was on the fast lane on the M1 in heavey traffic, bricked my pants.

Cutting the strips only half the story, take to cut the front grille up too but yes its made a massive difference, the heat that it releases is untrue :).

So how exactly has it made a massive difference? Is your car now faster? are you experiencing better fuel economy? Are components lasting longer?

Sounds like you've introduced a hazard that you are watching for. Plus a heat haze in in front of your viewing area.

I'd recommend you replace the rubber strip.

Just my opinion of course.

Calm down HTC.

Well before i did this the engine used tobe red hot after a run along with the inlet manifold, now its cool to touch after a run so id say thats a bonus.

Whys it a hazard? Ive been running like this for 6 months and not had a single problem.

No it doesnt cause a obstruction of vision with the heat been expelled.

Gurd.

Yeah i am mate, dont worry ive tried in out in summer and winter and its fine.