Over heating once?

spannah

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

I drive an A3 Audi 1.8t AGU 1997.

Yesterday whils stationary i noticed my temperature gauge sitting on halfway and slowly really slowly getting higher, i got a little worried so i switched off in case i damage anything, its the first time ive noticed this happen. Driving it sits on halfway and never goes any higher.

Theres more than enough coolant in the tank, and it has recently been serviced.
I was thinking it might be the thermostat but how can i really be sure?
Ive checked the history of the car and 3 years ago its had a temperature sensor and O rings replaced. As well as timing belt and water pump as well as the usual services.

Shall i sit it in stationairy mode again and see if it rises?

Any help would be much appreciated.

REgards
Wizard

Does the fan kick in when it should??
If it doesnt then check the fuses ontop of the battery. There is a couple or three blade fuses in a secondry fuse box. The one that controls the cooling fans is prone to getting damp and failing.

Hi Paul,

Yes the fans kick in as they should, i gave it a go today. I left it sitting stationary for 30mins and the car was fine, it didnt over heat at all.

Very strange.

Mystic Audi Ninjas at work :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: Never trust them, they're everywhere!!

Water pump on the way out? It'll gradually get worse as the impellers get weaker and weaker.

Ok maybe it's not the ninjas this time, but they are out there!

dont leave it to chance to see if it happens again!!! mine did the same thing about a month ago and got worse, so got her checked and water pump was gone!!! smashed to bits. so had it changed with new cambelt ect, but could have alot worse! mine is the same year, and the are prone to this problem.

See thats the thing i was on another forum and they reckon it might be the fan or the thermostat switch, the thing is the fans come on as normal or when they should.

So it may well be the water pump, someone also said that at Audi they do aluminium ones that last longer as the ones that are originally fitted are plastic, is this true?

Audi don't do the metal ones, but you can get them from GSF or Euro Car Parts fairly inexpensively.

the audi original pumps are all plastic impella's, but the replacment ones from euro ect are all metal, which will obviously last alot longer. so if yours was changed at audi then it would more than likely have been replaced with an original part. GET IT CHECKED!!

wheres the secondary fusebox located? i cant find my manual and my fans not kicking in, many thanks