Has anyone gone K03 to K03s on an 8L A3 FWD?

RyanS3TT

Reaction score
Hi All.

Im bidding on a K03s turbo now.

I have an R Reg AGU.

Does anyone know if the K03s is a straight swap?

If not, what do i need?

Thanks, Ryan

Im pretty sure its a straight swap, k03, k03s just having different internals.

Also how much is your custom exhuast costing if you dont mind me asking, im saving for one now, and after the k03s swap youll probally be wanting a custom remap, like me. Are you getting it from turbo back or cat back, also what size. 2.5" or 2.75"

TIP is slightly larger on K03s.. but if you already have a silicon TIP it will stretch ok..
also your existing actuator *might* have 2 ports but the K03s usually has one.. use the outer one off your existing setup and block off the other one.

I dont have a silicon tip as of yet.

Is that something I should purchase badger?

emery - the exhaust was quote to me Cat back from MIJ performance in Walsall for 274.99 however I have emailed them earlier today about a discount if I can do some plugging/advertising of there offer for audi sport. (providing admins/mods dont mind)
So if sucessful I may have a cheaper price for us.

As for the remap.
R-Tech in Hinckley do a remap specially for the AGU with a K03s and Exhaust. So i will be visiting them, as they offer free rolling road with printout and say they manage to get an average of 235-240bhp after remap.

Mine has a THS decat so Im hoping to meet 240.

Thanks, Ryan

ahh fair enough, sounds good. Yer im wanting to get around 225bhp, but with 270lb or torque, think prawn( asn member) got 290lb but running high boost, then lowered it to 23 psi and has had no problems.

I've seen people saying not to bother with a whole exhaust syste, but might just get a cat back.

I dont have a silicon tip as of yet.

Is that something I should purchase badger?

emery - the exhaust was quote to me Cat back from MIJ performance in Walsall for 274.99 however I have emailed them earlier today about a discount if I can do some plugging/advertising of there offer for audi sport. (providing admins/mods dont mind)
So if sucessful I may have a cheaper price for us.

As for the remap.
R-Tech in Hinckley do a remap specially for the AGU with a K03s and Exhaust. So i will be visiting them, as they offer free rolling road with printout and say they manage to get an average of 235-240bhp after remap.

Mine has a THS decat so Im hoping to meet 240.

Thanks, Ryan

240 is ambitious for a K03s on a daily driver, not impossible but its quite an agressive map thats needed to achieve that figure

will the agressiveness just reduce the turbos life and a must for letting the turbo cool down ?

Last edited:
I think R Tech maps generally are aggressive, they claim they are as tweaked as possible without putting to much pressure on turbo and ancillaries.

235bhp is the benchmark the give.

Id like to meet or beat that average.

Sorry dude, nothing personal :-(. That TIP is well worth keeping in mind for when you do need one though....

meh. I've been away for a month and nothing's changed!

Ko3-ko3S is an awesome swap, but you won't get 235bhp. not in any way that'll last anyway.

I've had a world of problems with mine, but I still wouldn't want to go back to the Gay03.

The best figures it's put out so far are 225bhp with 290lbft, running 24psi of boost. the 225bhp was made at just 4500rpm though, before the fuel pump broke and it went lean, so who knows what it was capable of that day.....

when first mapped it made 238 with 265lbft, but that turbo lasted less than a week!

Since changing the pump, I've had randomly low boost problems, which i think are due to a blocked cat (yet to afford a decat)

Last time on the rollers it had a very bad day, boosting just 13psi, and made 197bhp with 250lbft. boost is now back up to 18psi and maf logs would suggest it's around 220bhp currently, and I'd estimate 260lbft based on previous results in various states of workingness.

I'm hoping to decat it next month which should bring boost back over 20psi, but to be honest I'm going to sack off the ko3s after christmas anyway and go for one of the CTR ko3/4 hybrids mapped by Bill hopefully :)

All this can wait until I've finished supercharging my mini though, which coincidentally, is the reason I've hardly been on here at all lately

As its much more expensive, would you advise getting a bigger fuel pump then prawn. or is that for the k03 people. Im wanting the 225bhp and 270lb torque but not wanting those problems you had!lol

A K03s is K04 internals in a K03 shell iirc.

Brilliant as a straight swap..

Whereas a K04 need a new manifold, downpie or decat, and a k04 decat is mega bucks in comparison to a K03/s decat.

If anyone sees K03s's for sale. please can you PM me?

Thanks, Ryan

You dont need a new exaust as ees three said, so could use that £700 for a fmic which is a good mod to have , with running high boost, as 22-23psi is high

No doubt its bad, I cant really talk as i haven't got one, but i cant see it releasing an extra 15bhp. Yer ill get an fmic when i have the money ready, and hope someone brings out a kit for an a3 by then !.

I dont no lol, but few people have logged on dyno no increase in bhp from sports" exhaust.

my point is, if doing the swap wouldnt you want a full new exhaust system anyway, as whats the point of getting a new turbo if you not going to tune or mod

I hear that, if you're gonna go for a K03s, then why go to the trouble if you aren't going to go furthur?

I had an excuse due to a f**ked K03 anyway, she had HUGE cracks in the iron casting.... Pass as to how that happened....But anyway, wouldn't produce more than 12 PSI.

If I could get 230 with 270, i'd be a happy boy.... I need to get mine on the dyno now anyway and see what it's producing.