What brake set up do people have ??

S3 Paul

Reaction score
After reading threads on here ( and my personal experience ) ive noticed there are a few options as upgrades on an S3.

I was wondering what people use and how they rate them. Ive tried uprated disc and pads... Namely zimmerman cross drilled discs and pagid fast road pads... they worked well on my Mk3 Vr6 but didnt seem to work as well with the weight of the S3. I tried the same discs with porsche Boxter S callipers with standard porsche pads. These didnt fit sraight behind the standard S3 wheels and needed spacing which i wasnt a fan of to be honest. This set up seemed to work but for the money i didnt feel it was that good. Pedal feel was spongey and it was like it needed one and a half press of the pedal to get a real good bite. They looked good though and people assume you have a fast car because of the big red callipers.

Ive now had my Brembo GT jnr kit on for 2 years and when i got them they used the discs and pads that come with the kit. These worked fine but when it was time to replace i was shocked. I couldnt afford the price of the drilled discs and pads at the time so i looked for other options.
I tried standard discs from seat and Mintex pads. This worked ok but the pads did feel soft after a few hard stops. fading and giving no confidence.

As things stand now i have Grooved discs all round from CNR in chesterfield ( which i believe are Standard seat leon cupra R Brembos with CNC milled grooves) with Ferrodo Ds2500 pads up front and standard mintex pads at the back. After fitting these i wasnt pleased at all. But i then realised i may have boiled the brake fluid when i was trying the mintex pads. I changed it all to ATE super racing blue fluid and ive never looked back ! The pedal feels firm and the bite is good. Ive only tried them on a track session once but they are the best set up ive tried to date.

What other set ups have people tried and how have they got on with them?
Im thinking of using 300mm rear discs from an S4 when my current discs wear out but im not sure it will make that much diffrence.

I've got the Mo'vit Porsche 322mm front brakes, there pretty good, they came with teh car when I bought it so can't compare them with standard ones though

No commet on what brakes to get, but was your brake pedal, spongy before you got that new fluid, mine feels really spongy and have to push it down a long way even for small stops, where as my dads gti, just a touch on the pedal and it stops, Im also not very pleased with my brake upgrade, it doesnt seem to grip the discs very well, so i was thinking of putting dfesh oil in.?

No commet on what brakes to get, but was your brake pedal, spongy before you got that new fluid, mine feels really spongy and have to push it down a long way even for small stops, where as my dads gti, just a touch on the pedal and it stops, Im also not very pleased with my brake upgrade, it doesnt seem to grip the discs very well, so i was thinking of putting dfesh oil in.?

When was the last time you changed you fluid?

After reading threads on here ( and my personal experience ) ive noticed there are a few options as upgrades on an S3.

I was wondering what people use and how they rate them. Ive tried uprated disc and pads... Namely zimmerman cross drilled discs and pagid fast road pads... they worked well on my Mk3 Vr6 but didnt seem to work as well with the weight of the S3. I tried the same discs with porsche Boxter S callipers with standard porsche pads. These didnt fit sraight behind the standard S3 wheels and needed spacing which i wasnt a fan of to be honest. This set up seemed to work but for the money i didnt feel it was that good. Pedal feel was spongey and it was like it needed one and a half press of the pedal to get a real good bite. They looked good though and people assume you have a fast car because of the big red callipers.

Ive now had my Brembo GT jnr kit on for 2 years and when i got them they used the discs and pads that come with the kit. These worked fine but when it was time to replace i was shocked. I couldnt afford the price of the drilled discs and pads at the time so i looked for other options.
I tried standard discs from seat and Mintex pads. This worked ok but the pads did feel soft after a few hard stops. fading and giving no confidence.

As things stand now i have Grooved discs all round from CNR in chesterfield ( which i believe are Standard seat leon cupra R Brembos with CNC milled grooves) with Ferrodo Ds2500 pads up front and standard mintex pads at the back. After fitting these i wasnt pleased at all. But i then realised i may have boiled the brake fluid when i was trying the mintex pads. I changed it all to ATE super racing blue fluid and ive never looked back ! The pedal feels firm and the bite is good. Ive only tried them on a track session once but they are the best set up ive tried to date.

What other set ups have people tried and how have they got on with them?
Im thinking of using 300mm rear discs from an S4 when my current discs wear out but im not sure it will make that much diffrence.

I wouldnt bother mate as the s3 is 90/10 to the front and you'd be only adding to the unsprung weight, people only do the rears for looks.

When was the last time you changed you fluid?

I havnt changed it, only had it for 5 months, ill run through the log book and see if its been changed, how long does it last for? Miles wise?

I thought racing blue is good for 2 years?

Change it, they say change it every 2 years but if the cars been hammered regular and not allowed to cool down then the brake fluid could have been boiled and be no good so id change it just to see if it makes a difference, if not then take it from there.

Ok ill get it changed, yer 2 years is under normal driving conditions, the driver before me could of scragged it around alot.

If you do change it to anything like super racing blue make sure you flush the entire system. Also some people say to use vag com to bleed the abs system after... Mine was fine without it though