STARTING NOISE ???

s3wgx

Reaction score
hi there just bought a 2000 reg s3 and when i start it from cold or after leaving it for a while i get a loud rattle/tap for about 3-4 seconds then it goes away....any ideas?? any help much appreciated

That will be either the tappets, or more likely the VVT cam chain tensioner. As long as the noise goes away the car will be fine because the part itself is around £300.

Are the oil changes and the like all up to date? as a good oil chnge and flush couldn't hurt either

yeah gave it an oil flush and filter cahnge last night,the noise is still there tho wot would i need to do to get rid of it?

I doubt you can get rid of it, mine's been doing this ever since I bought it 3 years ago and the engine is treated to regular oil flushes and changes with decent oil. I wouldn't worry about it TBH.

Got the same problem with mine AMK engine, but garage i took it to said it was oil pump and oil pick up pipe gauge blocked, had it done, picked it up, seemed all done , no noises on start up, got it home after long run, left it, for about an hour, started it, :wtf:problems back, i was told it could be timing chain tensioner, but the garage opted to go for oil pump, what a waste.
can someone confirm to me, that if it is timing chain tensioner, that i will be ok just running as long as i keep changing oil, for i was told if i did not have it done, it would be the same as having your cambelt snapping, engine finished

When the pump strainer blocks some of the first components that give up, are the tensioner and the turbo. One can be the cause of the other.

The car will run with a noisey tensioner, but will not run without an oil pump. The garage was playing safe and chose the probably cheaper option for you first too.