Ticking Black canister!...and oil question

evotista

Reaction score
Hi All,

About to go in for second AVS service and my 1.8TQ is quite often giving a distinct tick tick tick noise from the black canister that sits in the engine bay on the left hand sideg(as you look from the front) between the washer fluid bottle and the spherical coolant reservoir. Does anyone know what this black canister with the pipe coming out of the top of it does? I sometimes notice it at start up ...it obviously can't be heard when moving, but i've opened the bonnet and listened and it definitely seems to be coming from the black thing!

Also, on the subject of second AVS, those of you who do your own oils changes, exactly how much oil do you have to put in once changed? My handbook says approx 3.5 litres...however the Audi garage say just a bit over 4. I've bought a 4 litre can of Castrol SLX 503.01 compliant ...just don't want to have to buy 2 x 4l cans every time it's changed. Where do all you guys buy your oils from anyway?...part from Halfords/CostCo/Motor Factors i can't seem to find anywhere cheap online.

Cheers for all advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I think the black canister is some sort of carbon filter which absorbs petrol vapour off the fuel tank during expansion and then feeds this into the intake when the car is first started, so it controls emissions. Might be wrong though.

They can get noisey when the car is cold but then quieten down once the engine is at normal operating temp.

I had one replaced on my last car due to being excessively noisey...........apart from that wquite normal

[ QUOTE ]
evotista said:
Also, on the subject of second AVS, those of you who do your own oils changes, exactly how much oil do you have to put in once changed? My handbook says approx 3.5 litres...however the Audi garage say just a bit over 4. I've bought a 4 litre can of Castrol SLX 503.01 compliant ...just don't want to have to buy 2 x 4l cans every time it's changed. Where do all you guys buy your oils from anyway?...part from Halfords/CostCo/Motor Factors i can't seem to find anywhere cheap online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the ticking noise has been answered, but just to support the others it's quite normal and does exactly what has been stated above /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One the oil.....the handbook is well wrong as I think it is only refering to oil pan (Sump) capacity in my expeirience. It normally takes me around (A bit over) 4.5 Ltrs to completely fill up on a service, so a large can and a top up one (1 ltr) should do the job.
I think you'll find a majority on here use Castrol or Mobil 1, but it's a personal choice really.