AndyMac Stealth Sub = BIG Thumbs Up!!

g10chy

Reaction score
Installed my AndyMac Stealth Sub this weekend and would like to say WOW, even though the sub is 6.5" JL Audio it certainly performs more like a 10"! My mates were godsmacked when i showed them how small the sub and enclosure were for the amount of bass it can produce.

I was abit hesitant about taking my rear speaker panel and boot apart but with Andy's excellent instructions it was like a walk in the park!

I would like to give a BIG thanks to Andy for developing this excellent bit of kit and anyone thinking about getting one SHOULD!!

Cheers,
Chris

I've had mine installed for years! Whilst I agree it's a good bit of kit, and well constructed, and does perform like a 10" for a 6.5" sub, there is limitations for the setup.

I highly recommend you have a trial with the type of music you listen to, as it's perfectly fine for what I listen to, but I've had it struggle with certain types of music, after giving a demo for a friend. But then I don't listen to Reggae, or stuff with continuous low basslines which is what it can't cope with, and probably wasn't designed for in the first place.

What it does highlight though, is how crap the standard Bose sub is for the £500 notes you had to have the Bose upgrade.

did you just install the sub, or have you upgraded the speakers components front and rear? Been toying with the sub idea for a while, just need the time really. how long did it take you?

Cheers

I left the standard components in and now with the bass turned down on the headunit (due to the sub) they can go fairly loud and still keep the quality.

It took me in total around 4 hours to fit, most the time was being careful taking all the panels off making sure not to break anything and the re-fitting was very simple.

did you just install the sub, or have you upgraded the speakers components front and rear? Been toying with the sub idea for a while, just need the time really. how long did it take you?

Cheers

I retained the Bose amp and speakers which are amplified, and as mentioned in the above post, I have my Bass set at -3 on the OE headunit, as the gain is wound to maximum on my setup, I have a seperate bass controller stuck on top of the Andymac stealth sub also, as it would be a PITA to get to the amp behind the rear quarter to tinker with the gain control.

I've been tempted by a Andy MAc sub for a while, everyone seems to rate it very highly! I listen to a lot of drum and bass (the liquid kind not the chav kind, lol!), just wondering what that sounds like as its fairly bass heavy?

i did mine around a week ago and i took my time over 4 days to make sure everything was ok. i constantly sent andy messages to make sure i didnt break anything and all in all, it was a smooth install. i would also like to thank andy once again for all his help and i think the small sub is a good compromise between having a boot and some decent bass!

....just wondering what that sounds like as its fairly bass heavy?

Olly - I will give it ago tonight and let you know. Not tried any D'n'B on it yet but some deep bass at high volume can distort and can hear the sub struggle/bottom out.

I really need to fit mine... bought it like 10 months ago!!!

<tuffty/>

hey tuffty, i am in gloucester most of the time too, if u need a hand or ideas... only did mine recently and so still know my way around...

i like the look of these and also interested in what it will sound like with drum n bassy stuff
may have to get a demo up at audi int. on 10th from one of you lot
if your dropping the bass on the head unit is the sound missing the mid bass

The thing to remember is it is only a 6.5" speaker, so you are never going to bounce the wheels off the ground, but saying that, it does a terrific job. Better than some 8/10" subs I've heard in the past

If you are not too far from Bicester, you could come and have a listen to mine, although I've gone a stage further and replaced the fronts and rears, plus squeezed an Alpine 5-channel amp behind the rear seat panel removing the necessity for the weedy Bose Amp as well.

This has the advantage of a built in crossover, so only the bass goes to the sub, and only mid-bass and above to the cabin speakers.

I'm in the middle of fine tuning at present, but should be ready in a week or so.

Let me know if you fancy a listen.

Cheers,

Turbonutta & Olly P - I tried my system with D'n'B this morning on the way to work. Generally it copes very well, with the slightest of distortion on "very" deep notes. Got me ready for a exciting day at the office anyhow bouncing around in my seat haha :)

One of these is on my list for when I have some spare pennies.

To be fair the standard BOSE in my car doesnt sound that bad, but I'm sure when the subs replaced with something with a bit more poke it'll be great.

Just need to get saving now!.

T

I have heard Jo's and think its awesome for what it is sizewise, after all it is JL Audio, so yo ucant really go wrong.

I too am after one, however its the time and money that seem to be delaying me all the time.

Andy keep up the good work.

Oh and Olly, keep up the good work too, loving the mixes!!

olly p i will make sure i check out your links to the tunes:music:

Hi alijames im in chinnor some weds eves and sat days at my mates workshop(burkes motor engineers) hey maybe pm me when your tuned in

g10 you best try some happyhardcore tommorrow :jump:

Do you think you can run 2 of these one each side.......13 inches o BASS

Sadly, on the other side there happens to be a fuel filler neck...

Cheers,

Ive allways been interested in buying one but I have so little time and so much to buy its all going on performance stuff lol

I also have one, also i think the one Andy does now has a newer driver in it, don't know if its any better sounding or not though.

I would without a doubt recommend it, i also have two amps in the spare wheel well and components, the chap i bought the car had it installed, it did have the 8 inch JL 8W7 sub which was unbelievable the bass it could produce, he paid near £1800 for the whole lot but i sold the the sub for one of Andy's to gain my boot space back, i does sound very good still with the stealth sub though.

Anyone with this sub in London?

Would love to hear it for myself :)

I've just installed one into my wifes A3 along with a nice Becker HU and about 15Kg of deadening, but she has just told me that she can't tell the difference and doesn't like the look of the Becker. Whaduyado??:keule:

I know if plays considerably lower and tighter than the Bose but think it just needs a bit of tweaking and a better amp than the cheapo one I used as it needed to be small enough to sit on the sub itself as there is no speaker panel to bhide behind in a 4 door!

Nige, you really need to drive the sub hard and have at least 250wrms going to it. I scoured the web for ages trying to find a small form factor amp that could fit above the sub, but they just don't make them that shape with enough power. So I imagine your small amp is very underpowered for the sub. Could you install a bigger amp inside the spare wheel?

Nige, you really need to drive the sub hard and have at least 250wrms going to it. I scoured the web for ages trying to find a small form factor amp that could fit above the sub, but they just don't make them that shape with enough power. So I imagine your small amp is very underpowered for the sub. Could you install a bigger amp inside the spare wheel?

I'm using an old RF 300S rated @300Wrms(I've got the certificate) to drive my 6.5" JL, I have the gains on max and the the bass controller on 3/4.

I haven't considered anything for in the spare wheel as not sure where to put all the tools etc. I did actually find that my prised Genesis ST100 will fit perfectly :crying: This will give 200 Genesis watts, but then it won't be in my car! May do a trial fit today and see what the difference is.