Volks AutosJMB Retrofits

Thread: Baby on the way

1st Gear

Status

Baby on the way

Can the airbags be disabled in the 99 plate 1,8T? I've just bought a new born baby seat for my car to bring my baby girl home over the week end, and most cars i've been in have a key insert to disable the airbags. Not mine, or is it hidden somewhere?
    The light that burns twice as bright , burns half as long.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Monkey Trainer

Status
    Should be in the glove box. Our little lad has always been in the back of my 3-door, the easy entry seats make it pretty easy to get the little'un in and out.
    A3 1.8TQS: Supersport Springs and Shocks, Xenons, BMC Filter, 18" OEM TTV6's, Bailey DV, N75J and Phase 1 Custom Code.

5th Gear

Status
    On my 1999 V 1.8 T there is a key in the glovebox on the right hand side of it. Says air bag on it.

Audi A3 1.8 Turbo, Wietec Ultra GT 40mm kit, 3" Full Custom Stainless Steel Exhaust, Custom Code stage 1 remap, 17" RS4 Alloys, Whiteline ARB

1st Gear

Status
    yeah i looked in the glove box , but no joy. She will be in the back most of the time anyway , but it will save a lot of grief when i take her out on my own.

Status
    congratulations mate with new born!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dantdi View Post
    congratulations mate with new born!
    Thanks she is our first (and probably last) after the troublesome pregnancy.

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Congrats mate, i believe there will be a key option in the glovebox, however, im not 100% sure on pre facelifts.

Also, i might be wrong, but arent newborns supposed to be rear facing in the back of the car, rather than the front??

Also its not that bad getting them in and out, we have recently had a baby and we have a rear facing maxi cosi and its pretty straightforward getting it in and out.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Do you have the words "passenger airbag" illuminate when you start the engine? Its on the inside light cluster on the roof where the map reading lights are.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Ross_S4

Status
    Congratulations mate,
    The safest way for the new bub to travel is rearward facing in the back seat.
    Most baby car seat manufacturers and definately the road safety folk will actually advise against fitting in the front even if the airbags can be turned off, I believe the reasoning for that is that in a crash there is no telling if there would be a malfunction of the airbag whereby it would deploy.
    I have a Silvercross travel system and the baby seat fitted in the back no worries. It really is worth the (slight) extra effort to fit in the back as you can't put any price on the safety of your new kid.
    Keep an eye out, most road safety units also run days where they will check your baby/child seats seat in your car and advise if they are suitable and/or fitted corectly. Again, well worth it but be prepared to find out your car seat may not be suitable (my Astra family car is bad due to shape of the seats).

Status
    The Maxi Cosi Cabriofix fits in the back no probs with the ISOFIX base, we have got the Quinny Buzz 3 Travel system and it works a treat, pushchair fits into the boot nice and easy as well, only thing is I have to take the wheels off for it to sit flat, but they are literally clip in, clip out. 10 seconds max!!

Try various seats if you can to get the best one for the car.

Smell my finger.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nilz18t View Post
    The Maxi Cosi Cabriofix fits in the back no probs with the ISOFIX base, we have got the Quinny Buzz 3 Travel system and it works a treat, pushchair fits into the boot nice and easy as well, only thing is I have to take the wheels off for it to sit flat, but they are literally clip in, clip out. 10 seconds max!!

Livin' the dream eh Nilz??

2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for all the advice people it is much appreciated. We do have the Buzz 3 setup and the frame goes in the boot nice without taking any wheels off. My 99 1.8T dosnt have the isofix system and there are no warning lights for the airbags up by the map lights , also there is no way of turning off the bags in the glovebox.
    The seat dose face backwards but on reflection safety is worth the extra effort so the misses will have to sit with her knees cramped in the front.

Ross_S4

Status
    In any case mate be prepared for the slowest and most careful drive you have ever taken... including your driving test!!
    Any motor coming close will get your evil eye treatment!
    Happy memories for me now mate - enjoy!!

Status
    How do you get it in without taking wheels off, my wheel hits the back of the back seat, therefore if i take it off, its sits so much flatter giving me ALOT more room.

1st Gear

Status
    Well to be fair i have not yet put it in the car but my other half has. I think my car is not quite normal, i'll try and get a pic up over the week end.

Reverse Gear

Status

Audi A3 1999 Airbag disconnect

Hi, we have a baby on the way in a few weeks time and really want to be able to put the car seat backwards on the front seat of my Audi A3 1999. This Audi is the original pre facelift era with no swith in the glove box. Audi centre claim they can not disconnect it without us spending thousands removing the entire dashboard.

Has anyone experienced the same problem as us and what could we do, surely there is some sort of remedy. I would even be willing to open the passenger airbag cover and remove the airbag physically......is this an option?

Thanks

Warwick.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    The switch was only installed on A3/S3's from 2000 onwards, my T99 plate S3 doesn't have the switch.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Status
    Mate, it is HIGHLY recommended to have babies in the back of the car, in a backwards facing car seat, especially for newborns, even on the stage 2, its a front facing one that we have got, but that is in the back as well, also been advised to have it in the back, as you never know....why risk it hey???

Any reason why you would want to have the seat in the front anyway??