Badger5AH Fabrications

Thread: RIDICULOUS MPG

imported_AudiAuto

RIDICULOUS MPG

I got a 1.6 1997 A3 Automatic, and the fuel consumption is just stupid. I put in Ł5 petrol today, when the needle was below the first point on the fuel meter. So basically just a bit higher then it would be if you were COMPLETLY empty. Anyway, Ł5 fuel and less then 30 miles later, it was back to the same spot. Now even for a auto, i'm sure this is ridiculous.

It may or may not be very accurate, but i have always been of the opinion that if i get at least 80 miles or more around town for every Ł10 petrol i put in, that is good. I always used to fill up Ł10 a time, becuase i didn't do many miles in the car.

In my last car, a Hyundai Coupe 2.0 se, i would always get at least 80 miles out of the Ł10 petrol, and normally more, before i had to fill up again. Remember, this is a 2.0 litre car, i used to boot it quite a lot, i had an air filter which can increase fuel consumption, and often i would have the air con on as well. I haven't done the maths but i think thats about 35mpg or thereabouts.

In comparison, i filled up my A3 the other day with Ł15 petrol, about 75-80 miles later and it was empty again. So in my A3 1.6, it is costing me about Ł6 more then my Hyundai to do the same number of miles, and my Hyundai was a 2.0 sports car and had air con. Now, as i'm working at the moment (summer holidays), the petrol i'm gonna need due to the extra travelling amounts to about Ł20-Ł25 a week MORE then what i would have needed in my Hyundai. Thats a lot, but i wouldn't even mind if it was a sports car, or if it was as fast as my Hyundai, or if it had air con, becuase at least then you can think to yourself 'it's worth the extra money in fuel becuase at least i'm getting there in comfort cos of the air con, and i have that power if i need/want it', but even that isn't the case.

Anyway, auto or no auto, the fuel consumption is not logical on a 1.6 litre car. Please let me know if you agree, and have any ideas as to what could be the problem, as there HAS to be a problem, becuase as i said this just isn't logical. My dads E230 is a auto as well, weighs double, but i think even that gives a better return on Ł10 of petrol around town, believe it or not.

p.s Don't worry it's not normal, i only put in Ł5 today cos i left my wallet at home and that was all i had on me... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Drift King!

Status

Re: RIDICULOUS MPG

It's the weight of your subs, amps and components pimp lol

DAF
    1st Gear

Status

1.6 in your A3 man thats a heavy car with a wimpy engine, get a Tdi Pimp.

Oil rules.

2nd Gear

Status

jojo was gonna say the same thing..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

as for the petrol thing Ł5 for 30 miles how heavy is your lead weight in your right foot? what kind of mpg you getting if you fill it up?

cheers tony

1st Gear

Status

I get better mpg in my S3 recently took a trip to Bristol, 156 miles there, a few 20 mins trips around and a bout when we were there and then another 156 miles back.

trip down was very heavy traffic, stop start for long periods, took us 4 1/2 hours and normally takes 2 1/2. trip back fine no less than 60 all the way.

so all in all trip was 383.4 miles long and i used Ł51.43 of petrol, @ 85.9 litre which works out at 13.1 gallons, which gives me a mpg of..........29

given the amount of traffic i was stuck in and the progress we made on the way home. Im really impressed with that

Mark

DAF
    1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    garethj said:
    The 1.6 is under powered for the size of car, the auto is going to trash fuel economy. In combination they will give very poor fuel economy, particularly on short journeys around town.

WTF did you buy an auto for ?

[/ QUOTE ] I second that quote WTF You buying a 1.6 auto for. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

I drove a new A3 1.6 and it was very slow

imported_Macduff

[ QUOTE ]
    ilclifford said:
    Welcome to the world of the torque converter automatic! And people wonder why I ordered a DSG! No performance hit or economy hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only a wallet hit [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Pimp, years ago I had a Rover 220GTi. In the handbook it had MPG for all the 200 models. Mine was actually better than the 216GTi. I think that the 2.0 was simply a better engine for the weight of car so rather than having to thrash it all the time like the 1.6 you could keep the 2.0 in a more economical rev range while getting the same performance. Also, the Hyundai you mentioned will have been much lighter than the Audi so you can't really compare them.

Dave

imported_AudiAuto

haven't had the car long so haven't done a full tank on it yet. I got it from the auction for a good price, so it was a i wasn't bothered that it was a auto. But whatever the weight of the car, it can't be so much as to only give me under 20mpg? that is based on the fact that i put in Ł15 of petrol and got about 80 out of it, unless i have done the calculation wrong it comes to just under 19mpg. Now surely, that can't simply be down to the car being heavy and having a 1.6 engine?

Senior

Status

Sounds about right to me. You cannot measure fuel consumption on part tanks and piddly amounts like 5 pounds, it's only just over a gallon for goodness sake.

S3 Drift King!

Status

Pimp, your mpg will get worse when you put bigger alloys on mate.

imported_AudiAuto

[ QUOTE ]
    neil.c said:
    Sounds about right to me. You cannot measure fuel consumption on part tanks and piddly amounts like 5 pounds, it's only just over a gallon for goodness sake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, but i don't see how it makes any difference whether its just over a gallon or not?. As far as i know, my engine is going to draw just as much fuel from the tank whether theres Ł5 in there or Ł20 worth. I know i can't measure it ACCURATLY, but i can measure it enough to know that the mpg is still very low.

imported_AudiAuto

[ QUOTE ]
    Lees3 said:
    ever thought about cleaning your maf?..

[/ QUOTE ]

No, i haven't, what is this, and where is it located? And can it have any affect on the fuel consumption if it's dirty? If so, is it easy to remove and clean/replace?

Thanks

Status

One thing that will reduce mpg is a dirty air filter! I would change this as its only a couple of quid from the stealer!

I changed mine and it made a huge difference!

Give it a try
    Rich.

5th Gear

Status

maybe it's the short start journeys. put a fiver in and go on the motorway or 60 road and see how far you get, you should get at least 45-50miles. If drastically less, try changing the filter and cleaning MAF. I think it is just your short journeys.

imported_AudiAuto

As is said, I know my method of measuring isn't very accurate, its just I haven't had a chance to do a full tank and motoway driving yet. And unless I am going on a long journey, I don't fill up a full tank (reasons for this but don't not relevant).

However, whatever factors stated above that would affect my fuel consumption, them same factors would apply to my brothers 316i BMW, my last car (Hyundai Coupe 2.0) and my dads E230 auto. Yet all of them cars doing the same type of journeys around town, give much better MPG then my Audi (and I have always measured MPG in the same way, so all cars have been measured evenly). On top of that, all of them other cars also have air con, and even with it on the MPG is still much better. I mean, the E230, thats almost a litre bigger engine! And probably weighs twice as much, yet even with the aircon on it still gives better MPG around town. That is why I am so sure their must be a problem with my car, as even with all things considered, I still think the MPG is too low.

My dads last car was VERY inefficient, was a 2.0 auto, had aircon, weighed over 2 tons, and still managed better MPG then my A3, that is why i am concerned over my MPG.

I will clean the MAF later this week however, i don't see how that can give me anymore then about 2-3mpg improvment. I will also full tank it to get a more accurate reading then i will see.

2nd Gear

Status

try cleaning your air mass meter but do not use water try an electrical contact cleaner VER Y CAREFULLY OR YOU MAY DAMAGE IT! if not then check your temp sensor it may be reading wrong (thinking its cold outside?)

Senior

Status

If your spark plugs are black all over with thick deposits on th plugs you are using too much fuel, if they are grey or an orange/beige colour with light deposits then the fueling is probably correct.

Senior

Status

Also if you look at your air filter element if it is clogged up it will be black. This will give you a good indication of whether your car has been looked after.

Grumpy Old Man

Status

Life's too short to fall out. Let's start again, mate.

I've just been reading your thread about the fuel consumption on your A3. Very interesting stuff. My first thought is that all the ingredients are there for disproportionately high consumption: heavy-ish car (& that's before the ICE install, LOL!), small-ish engine, auto box & lots of short journeys.

All of the suggestions about checking the plugs, filters, MAF etc. are good ones, but the problem at the moment is that you don't really know exactly what the consumption is. You really need to know what it is now, BEFORE you do the tuning stuff, so you can measure it again afterwards to compare.

As you've already said in your posts, the "fiver-in-the-tank" method is not telling you much, and nor will it ever. Too small a mileage sample & not enough accuracy in the fuel gauge. Before shelling out on new filters, you'd be better off putting a full tank in (up to the first auto shut-off point on the pump), then doing about 200 miles worth of driving in a variety of conditions. Then fill it up again to the first shut-off point, using the same pump. That way, you know that you have filled to the same point, & the calculation is as accurate as you can get it. Even if it is slightly out, the error is averaged out over 200 miles intead of about 40 or 50. Then do the maths & you've then got a reliable MPG figure to work from.

Carry out any work on the filters, MAF & plugs etc, then do another 200 miles or so of roughly similar driving, fill up again & measure the MPG. That way, you'll know straight away if the work you've done has improved it.

HTH.

JEFF

1st Gear

Status

ShrimpMyAudi, you make me laugh [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

You're quite willing to boast about how expensive your audio set-up is, and have been arguing for the right to put ridiculous spinners on your A3, that cost however many Łks, yet you can't even afford to fill up your tank! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

If you want people to take you views an opinions seriously, and lets face it you have some misguided ones, you have to take peoples advice and when it is offered. By filling your tank you will get a decent quantity of fuel to allow you to calculate an average that will be much more accurate. By using the volume pumped, and resetting your trip counter, you will get an accurate figure, rather than simply teaspooning in Ł5 of petrol, which will get you different volumes of fuel everywhere you go.

I think you have spent far too much of your time on this forum defending your misguided opinions, rather than listening to, and making use of, the huge amount of good advice that has been offered to you.

Post Whore

Status

Andy why you kicking off an argument again fella?

He is listening to peoples advice now, so why the pointless reply?

Before you go in heavy at myself and others, I'm NOT going to reply to your back comment that I know you will supply so, Good day to you.

PIMP - like most people are offering you good advice on filling her up with fuel, and cleaning Maf, replacing air filters I have a 1.6 manual and I get quite good fuel consumption on full tanks of fuel only but never on half tanks or Ł5 worth.

Regards

imported_bayliss

just one idea I thought of whilst reading - I could be wrong though.

The MAF senses how much air is passing through it, and then calculates the petrol required, yes?
    OK, so if the the MAF's dirty, It'll detect LESS air flowing through/past it, yes? does this mean it will be adding LESS fuel whilst it's dirty? and if you clean it; it'll be sensing MORE air, and subsequently adding MORE fuel?? ( I dunno!)

just a though fellas.

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    jdp1962 said:
    Life's too short to fall out. Let's start again, mate.

I've just been reading your thread about the fuel consumption on your A3. Very interesting stuff. My first thought is that all the ingredients are there for disproportionately high consumption: heavy-ish car (& that's before the ICE install, LOL!), small-ish engine, auto box & lots of short journeys.

All of the suggestions about checking the plugs, filters, MAF etc. are good ones, but the problem at the moment is that you don't really know exactly what the consumption is. You really need to know what it is now, BEFORE you do the tuning stuff, so you can measure it again afterwards to compare.

As you've already said in your posts, the "fiver-in-the-tank" method is not telling you much, and nor will it ever. Too small a mileage sample & not enough accuracy in the fuel gauge. Before shelling out on new filters, you'd be better off putting a full tank in (up to the first auto shut-off point on the pump), then doing about 200 miles worth of driving in a variety of conditions. Then fill it up again to the first shut-off point, using the same pump. That way, you know that you have filled to the same point, & the calculation is as accurate as you can get it. Even if it is slightly out, the error is averaged out over 200 miles intead of about 40 or 50. Then do the maths & you've then got a reliable MPG figure to work from.

Carry out any work on the filters, MAF & plugs etc, then do another 200 miles or so of roughly similar driving, fill up again & measure the MPG. That way, you'll know straight away if the work you've done has improved it.

HTH.

JEFF

[/ QUOTE ]

Wise words! That is what i'd do! ...athough me being of your age and situation too, I only put Ł10 in at a time or Ł20 if I go a few pennies over Ł10 and don't want to look like a fool!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img]

Really is worth putting a full tank in (although I've always thought surely you are carrying excess weight round - obviously negligible!) and if you get stuck on the maths, (I do and I'm doing degree level maths [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]) go on this site MPG calculation!!!

Good luck ... and we all ort to let bygones be bygones or whatever the saying goes!

5th Gear

Status

There really ort to be a better site, one with cost per litre, amount spent... anyone know java!

S3 Drift King!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    bayliss said:
    just one idea I thought of whilst reading - I could be wrong though.

The MAF senses how much air is passing through it, and then calculates the petrol required, yes?
    OK, so if the the MAF's dirty, It'll detect LESS air flowing through/past it, yes? does this mean it will be adding LESS fuel whilst it's dirty? and if you clean it; it'll be sensing MORE air, and subsequently adding MORE fuel?? ( I dunno!)

just a though fellas.

[/ QUOTE ]

If thats the case, then the engine is receiving less fuel and therfore giving less performance. Which in turn, makes you work the engine harder to get the car to go as quickly as it should if the MAF was working properly, so increasing fuel usage... am i making sense?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

cleaning the air mass meter normally results in failure of the unit. i have heard that putting them in boiling water (the hot wire part) can cause all the dirt to fall off. if it does start to become faulty after cleaning you may experience high fuel consumption lack of power of other things. as you have stated you dont do alot of miles and i would suggest that this is the reason, roughly how many miles are you doing a month and does your coolant temp go up steadily on the guage, sorry it may be written above but got lost in all the [censored] about you and your spinners.ask me what you want pimpmyaudi i am an audi technician and will do my best to answer you.

imported_AudiAuto

Leddy, Lol yeah i know, like bleach or something.

Anyway, i filled up full tank the other day, doing just urban driving at the moment, will fill up again when it get to 1/4 full, and see what mpg reading i get. I already put the petrol in before i had a chance to try the tips you guys gave above, so i will have to keep it the same on this tank of petrol to give a accurate figure. Then i will do the tuning (changing air filter, checking spark plugs, cleaning MAF etc) and see if it makes any difference.

Someone above said about seeing how my engine had been treated, well the car was brought from auction, originally owned by a lease company. Although this could mean that the person maybe didn't treat it like it was his (as they knew they just give it back at end of lease), at least it means all the servicing/repairs will have been kept to religously by the lease company, regardless of cost. It has a full Audi history, BTW. So in theory, the engine should be fine, and working perfectly.

imported_AudiAuto

[ QUOTE ]
    foolish3uk said:
    cleaning the air mass meter normally results in failure of the unit. i have heard that putting them in boiling water (the hot wire part) can cause all the dirt to fall off. if it does start to become faulty after cleaning you may experience high fuel consumption lack of power of other things. as you have stated you dont do alot of miles and i would suggest that this is the reason, roughly how many miles are you doing a month and does your coolant temp go up steadily on the guage, sorry it may be written above but got lost in all the [censored] about you and your spinners.ask me what you want pimpmyaudi i am an audi technician and will do my best to answer you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, really appreciate it.

Normally i don't do too many miles, but at the moment i'm probably doing about 80 a week? Mostly around town. The temp gauge goes up steadily, like it should. Haven't had the car long enough to really judge how much i am doing a month though, sorry. If i clean my MAF and change air filter, then proving they were both really dirty in the first place, would you expect that to make a massive difference?

Thanks for your help. (see, i can be nice if people are nice to me)

S3 Drift King!

Status

Pimp, no need to be nice man, thats just not YOU! lol [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****_you.gif[/img] *Runs and hide*

2nd Gear

Status

hey pimp where you from what region, i would not exsepect the air filter to make much of a change, got something to try tip some water over the area of cyl 3+4 and rev the engine check around the engine to see if it is missfiring. it is quite common on the 1.6 engine,

imported_AudiAuto

[ QUOTE ]
    foolish3uk said:
    hey pimp where you from what region, i would not exsepect the air filter to make much of a change, got something to try tip some water over the area of cyl 3+4 and rev the engine check around the engine to see if it is missfiring. it is quite common on the 1.6 engine,

[/ QUOTE ]

I am from suffolk mate, but now live in leicester due to Uni. Didn't quite understand what you meant by the water thingy? When i rev the engine, how will the water tell me if its misfiring, why over the cyl 3+4, and finally, where is cyl 3+4? lol probably tell i'm not too informed on engines.

Also, is it difficult to get the spark plugs out on an A3?

imported_AudiAuto

[ QUOTE ]
    jojo said:
    Pimp, no need to be nice man, thats just not YOU! lol [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****_you.gif[/img] *Runs and hide*

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah you'd better run, [censored] [censored] [censored]. lol just joking [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

no its not too hard sorry i thought it was an A4 water would make the spark ark out and you would be able to see it. this trick wont work on an A3, plugs are not to hard to remove but i have done hundreds.

imported_AudiAuto

Also, someone mentioned checking the spark plugs, if they are black and dirty then it means fuel mixture isn't right, and probably too much fuel going in. If this is the case (although shouldn't be, cars been serviced reguarly), how do you sort it out?

imported_AudiAuto

[ QUOTE ]
    foolish3uk said:
    no its not too hard sorry i thought it was an A4 water would make the spark ark out and you would be able to see it. this trick wont work on an A3, plugs are not to hard to remove but i have done hundreds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh ok, no worries mate. So you don't reckon even the MAF being dirty would effect mpg too much?

imported_mustwin1

Pimp, does the engine 'feel' right to you? Does it feel 'lumpy'? If it does then it may be that the exhaust sensor is failing, this (i am lead to believe) causes the engine to pump more fuel in to the engine as its not detecting any gases exiting the engine.

If the engine feels right, then ignore the above, you will be able to tell.

imported_AudiAuto

Yeah the engine feels fine, in fact the whole car is running perfectly and smoothly, apart from the mpg.

Reverse Gear

Status

Have just been reading all of these posts etc. Got a 1.6 manual with 18"RS4 reps on plus 2 amps stereo etc with new air filter, plugs+leads. Even when this car was std with original 15" steels i used to get 300 miles to a tank(filling to shut off etc). I think it used to work out to roughly 30mpg. That wasn't driving really carefully either but not nailing it (well as much as u can in a 1.6). Also checked plugs and they were a nice light brown/grey colour so must be running pretty ok. Personally i don't think its great mpg but for a heavyish car with only a 1.6 8valve engine its not horrendous. 16 valves generally produce more torque for the same amount of fuel in the same size engine. Surprisingly the overall diameter of the 18" RS4's with tyres is only roughly 5mm extra then the std steels, as the tyres on those had a high profile (a bit bouncy to say the least), so my fuel eco has stayed about the same when i drive carefully. The only thing is they are quite a bit heavier + more resistance on the road which does seem to drink fuel when doing above 85.