I've done it, I've bought one!

turbonutta

Reaction score
This is only my second post on here..Yahoo got my hands on a nice s3 spent all my redundancy cash on it i have never payd more than 8oo hundred for a car in my life (well apart from my beetle-google images turbonutta and youll see it)
looked at a few and decided to with this one its an 02 with 18's good tyres also ebc pads and grooved and drilled disc's all round this thing stops as well as it goes...

I test drove the car it was great no rattles or clonks pulled well and seemed really good

on the way home after a steady 60-70 cruise on the motorway i took her up to 5k and then.........................................................................................
argh the engine management light went nuts and the car wouldnt run very well oh bugga

i was sat in the layby thinking what have i bought:sob: have i just been mugged of and bought a donkey phoned my mate and he reckoned it was just a coil failiure

i called the guy who sold it and he had a spare coil
he drove it to me in the layby and as luck would have it it was the very first coil we tried, as you know you can get to two of them the other two are hidden.

We flopped on the new one bbbrrm of i went a happy chap, i drove to my mates house and the car seemed fine had a cup o tea then went to drive home
dug a dug adug same thing happened again WHAT
i was not a happy bunny
Called the old owner and asked him if that car had a problem and he replied no i have not sold you a duff mota we agreed that if i called the rac and they couldnt fix that i would take it back to him and that he would give me my money back that made me feel alot happier

i really wanted to beleive the guy as i bought from as i thought he was genuine and did love his car

Any way mr rac turns up whacks in his laptop
and ecu say coil failiure......
Mr rac picked up a new audi coil that very morning saying it was common he fitted it on and hey presto of it went i took it up the m.way for a junction and back to test and it performed really well thank goodness
Rac said the coil we had fitted was a vw coil and that they are not rated the same as the audi part

i took her out for a girlfriend scaring session on sunday and again it performed faultlessly so im very happy now
just thought id share my news with you lot
i will post a picture or two if i can soon
Cheers Turbonutta

Welcome to the s3 side mate, hope youve got a nice large overdraft haha. Glad to see your happy though mate. Common fault the coils going, always handy to keep a spare because when one goes the rest normaly follow.

Aye i aggree, if you can afford it,replace all four now with genuine items, then keep the old ones as spares.

welcome to the forum

Glad to hear you managed to get the car all sorted! As already said Common fault the coils going. Looking forward to seeing the photos...Only bad thing about the forum you can help but mod your car lol ;)
Good luck

Well done, Hope she runs sweet now....These cars are not the cheapest of cars to run as you my of noticed and there are a few common faults but no really nasty ones.

Good luck. :yum:

i will have to buy some coils thats a good idea
im a bit skint now.., went into the overdraft to get the insurance
i managed to get my s3 added to my golf policy for an extra 300 squid
so i can use the goof for the commute most days
i got the golfmk3 se for a hundred quid so i can run it into the ground
so golf for commute, audi for best and my bug for raggin down the strip and doin vdub shows in

Does vag-com tell you if coiils are on there way out, or do you only know when they bust?

Welcome to the site, glad you are enjoying the car, bar the coilpack mishap, which is a common problem, so nothing really to worry about.

Landopanda, it will only tell you once it has gone.

ok question for you what kind of temps are your s3's sitting at mine is about 90 is this ok-normal
im suprised how warm it all gets under that bonnet...i know it has a bloomin hot turbo under there but the heat soaks into the strut brace and you cant put your hand on it for long
iv still got newbie syndrome just wanna check its in spec

also heard a strange whirring clunky noise when i turn of ignition, i investigated and found it was the little 12v water circulating pump.
it sounds like its done ten rounds with mike tyson
i bashed it with my ratchet and it whirrrrs a little better now......!
my mate got me a new one for just over 55 quid so im ganna bang it on and strip the old one down rebuild and keep as a spare

Bang on 90 is perfect, no need to worry mate.

ok question for you what kind of temps are your s3's sitting at mine is about 90 is this ok-normal
im suprised how warm it all gets under that bonnet...i know it has a bloomin hot turbo under there but the heat soaks into the strut brace and you cant put your hand on it for long
iv still got newbie syndrome just wanna check its in spec

also heard a strange whirring clunky noise when i turn of ignition, i investigated and found it was the little 12v water circulating pump.
it sounds like its done ten rounds with mike tyson
i bashed it with my ratchet and it whirrrrs a little better now......!
my mate got me a new one for just over 55 quid so im ganna bang it on and strip the old one down rebuild and keep as a spare

Thats normal mate, its the secondary water pump, when you dont hear its thats when you need to get a new one.

That sounds like a perfect example of good old British engineering methods!!:laugh:

Enjoy!!

Cheers,

oh yes cant beat a good old fashioned whack..

Great news on the temps, i notice if you tickle her around not using boost she runs cooler just shows how hot that turbo jacket really does get

Thanks Guys