S3 on 1/4 mile today.

Biggied

They called him mellow yellow.
Reaction score
Website
www.audi.co.uk
Well finally got the S3 up the drag strip @ Crail today, best time was 14.511 @ 93.8mph which I'm pretty happy with as its a stock 210hp. Not one car beat me off the line as i've got a good bit of 1/4 experience in other cars & was launching her @ 5k rpm. I even tried it in fwd a few times by having the handbrake on one click stopping the haldex kicking in, times were still good in fwd due to the 235/18's on the front (225 rear).

Here's a break down of a few of my races.

Mk5 GTi with stage one Revo got humped. (but his times @ the end of the day were propably faster than mine)

Mk5 edition 30 with 330hp, humped on take off then he reeled me in and stuck it to me near the end, he said it wasn't till he was up in 3rd till he caught me.

TTS(stock), same thing that happened with the edition 30 but when this guy got his launches sorted he hit a 13.5 which I thought was pretty good. He was sayin when he got the launches good the edition 30 could never catch him even with an extra 60 odd hp.

Went FWD (to give them a chance lol) against an import DC2 Integra TypeR, EP3 Civic TypeR & a Pug 206 running a 200hp GTI6 lump. humped them all aswell, the S3 went really well in FWD, it didn't really spin much even when launching @ 5k rpm.

All in all was a good day, also had a shot on the figure of 8 drift track,one thing highlighted by this was the body roll which was unsettling the car quite alot crossing the middle of the 8 high in 3rd gear n giving it a wee flick to prevoke the rear, Tried a nip of the handbrake crossing the middle aswell which resulted in a nice slide!! lol.

Will post up some launch Vids on fwd & 4wd, the times will be on crails site in next day or 2 aswell.

NOTE: Before anyone starts all the "Crail times arn't acurate" & "The surface is ****" don't bother, I've heard it all before & I know all about it. Was a good day end off.

Cheers Ewan

Cheers Ewan.

Good work sir, i always have fancied a bit of that and need to sort it out. I'm no expert but 14.5 secs seems a very reasonable blast.

14.5 is a good time for a stock S3 I'd say...

I don't understand what you mean by click the handbrake on causing the car to be fwd ??

Ewan 14.5 is good for an S3 is it remapped? 93 mph is slow so you must of been doing something right to get that time.The slaters of this strip always have a beef I find.

Very good. Sounds like driver skill was a big factor in your defeats though!

Hows your poor clutch now?!!!

14.5 is a good time for a stock S3 I'd say...

I don't understand what you mean by click the handbrake on causing the car to be fwd ??

What he means is if you pull the handbrake up one click, it will stop the car switching to 4wd when the ECU feels the front wheels loosing traction.

My car isn't mapped or tuned in any way, I've driven quite a few 1.8t that are & noticed the extra punch every time, My MAF readings max @ aprox 178 GS which if that method is acurate comes to aprox 223hp, I have a custom Air filter housing with cone filter & cold feed, I run Vpower & thats IT. As good 210s are known to be a little more than 210 I take it mines stock.

Yea my clutch is fine, this was my only worry but its held up fine & didn't even over heat or slip. There was no mercy off the line, I got my best 60FT time of 1.995 on my best run, my reaction times are always good & only a dsg could of beat my shifting speed LOL which I was trying to keep to just over 6k rpm. A straight line it may be but you gota know what your doing to get the best times outa the car your in.

How well I did next to the more powerfull VAG stuff had to be seen as the times don't tell the hole story. The timing gear only starts when each car starts to move so the reaction time dosn't come into it, when I was crossing the line only just behind the TTS & 330hp ED30 they had started there run that little bit after me as I reacted faster to the lights. This means that in a real world traffic light GP I would look pretty fast. (not that I do that kind of thing on the road)

PS. Vids for some & Times for all runs will be put up soon.

Ewan

Well done mate. Sounds like a good day.
With regards to the handbrake that doesnt always work, i and paul have tried it and it doesnt work, supose each cars different though.

What he means is if you pull the handbrake up one click, it will stop the car switching to 4wd when the ECU feels the front wheels loosing traction.

I'm not being funny but I still don't understand how it works, if you pull the handbrake up 1 click it would if anything cause the front wheels to spin more surely which would in turn send the power to the back wheels, or have I got the complete wrong end of the stick, the haldex also work with regard to throttle position...:think:

I'm not being funny but I still don't understand how it works, if you pull the handbrake up 1 click it would if anything cause the front wheels to spin more surely which would in turn send the power to the back wheels, or have I got the complete wrong end of the stick, the haldex also work with regard to throttle position...:think:

I belive that when the handbrake is on, the car shuts off the haldex system, meaning it wont go into 4wd.

I tried this in last years snow to make sure my haldex was working and with the handbrake up 1 click the front weels span like a mother f**ker, but when the handbrake was off the car hit 4wd causing some drift fun in my local asda car park.:arco:

I cant comment on other S3's but I know it works in mine..hope you understand now:beerchug:

I belive that when the handbrake is on, the car shuts off the haldex system, meaning it wont go into 4wd.

I tried this in last years snow to make sure my haldex was working and with the handbrake up 1 click the front weels span like a mother f**ker, but when the handbrake was off the car hit 4wd causing some drift fun in my local asda car park.:arco:

I cant comment on other S3's but I know it works in mine..hope you understand now:beerchug:

Well I never new that ! Cheers for your explanation, I'm going to try that out tomorrow, see what 260 horses feels like through only the front wheels...lol

The Haldex needs to see a handbrake off signal before allowing power to the rear, my handbrake is nice n slack so its ok but watch out if yours is tight as you'll feck the rear pads leaving it on. Anyone who tries this should be able to feel the slight torque steer it produces in Fwd & theres the wheel spin that the mapped guys might get.

Ewan

will your manual tell you if it works or not? and whats torque steer ? where it goes wobbly ?

will your manual tell you if it works or not? and whats torque steer ? where it goes wobbly ?

Just try it yourself, isnt going to hurt owt.
Torque steer is were the wheels just want to pull the car in any direction and trying to keep the csr in the direction you want togo in isnt easy its a tow.

launchSquat.jpg

Theres a Pic of my car mid launch, My internet is being gay so not got my vids uploaded yet but will do soon.

You can see on the pic how much the car squats when launched properly.

Ewan

my car is an apy and mine spins up bad if i put it up 1 notch mines on an x plate.

out of curiousity - can you use the handbrake trick on rolling roads ?

out of curiousity - can you use the handbrake trick on rolling roads ?

I was wondering this the other day too, if it's just a case of pulling up the handbrake on certain models then why pull the fuse for the haldex...:shrug:

Sounds like you know what your doing with regard to fast starts. I'm terrible at them...Too much mechanical sympathy, especially after recently shelling out for a new clutch!!!

At least i can get full power in 5th/6th now without any slipping!

I was wondering this the other day too, if it's just a case of pulling up the handbrake on certain models then why pull the fuse for the haldex...:shrug:

I'm guessing its because the fuse is a failsafe. Imagine if the hand brake trick failed half way through a RR session, the rear wheels would grip and launch the car accross the room!

I'm guessing its because the fuse is a failsafe. Imagine if the hand brake trick failed half way through a RR session, the rear wheels would grip and launch the car accross the room!

They strap the cars down so they won't go anywhere, handbrake on or not...

Yours is a BAM, have you tried it ? I did the other day and thought I felt a little torque steer although it may have been the road, I stopped and tried again and nothing out of the ordinary though I wasn't to brutal with it, wet road might be a better call...Be interesting to see how the car deals with the power through the fronts wheels...

Yeah they do strap the cars down but imagine the rear wheels lighting up with the fronts running 60mph on the rollers, it would be a lot of force for those straps to hold.

I've not tried it in mine yet, i'd rather wait for a wet road to save my tyres a bit.

Yeah they do strap the cars down but imagine the rear wheels lighting up with the fronts running 60mph on the rollers, it would be a lot of force for those straps to hold.

I've not tried it in mine yet, i'd rather wait for a wet road to save my tyres a bit.

I wouldn't want to be standing near it if that were the case...lol

When I tried I didn't rev the tits off it looking for a wheelspin, more a quickish pull away dumping the throttle and hoping they'd be enough power to light up the fronts...

i know a lot of the tuners (JBS etc) remove the haldex fuse to make the car 2wd to run them on 2wd RR's, same effect as the handbrake trick IIRC..... that said I have read an official guide written by Haldex (or with their partisipation) that stated that disengaging the haldex without removing the prop could damage the unit with speeds over 30mph.....i found the doc ages ago through a link on another forum - also seem to remember some members having had their car RR'd having had the fuse removed and this seemingly changed how the car drove

i love pics of the back end of S3 squatting!

3671724216_f46962a435_b.jpg

3670918901_ebf38e4afd_b.jpg