Comparison pictures of bits and bobs

RichA3Turbo

Reaction score
Collected some parts today from AmD for my turbo upgrade which were Milltek sports cat, S3 intake pipe and S3 MAF tube.

Ive taken some pics to compare them against standard:

First the cat. Look at the downpipe on the old one in comparison to the new one... its MUCH bigger and less restricted than the OE one, yet the actual CAT part is physically smaller.
13.jpg

Second the the MAF tubes. The difference in size is quite big. The A3 maf tube can fit IN the S3 MAF tube... Nuff said!
11.jpg

Lasly a comparison to A3 TIP and S3 TIP. I actually laughed when i saw the A3 one... its pathetic! looks so funny when you have them side-by-side! The picture does it no justice... The diference in size is huge. The TIP i got is from a late model TT which are stronger so shouldnt collapse under high boost conditions. If it does, i'll just get the Samco equivalent.
12.jpg

Lots more to come in the next few days folks! The turbo kit arives tomorrow and i;ve dismantled everything around the back of the engine, so all that i left to do is unbolt the turbo and manifold... Should be simple enough as access isnt too bad. Hope to have the car back together by wednesday with only a few minor things to sort out.

Cheers

Rich

all pretty clean really! photos always show up more than normal! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
all pretty clean really! photos always show up more than normal! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Do we take it by this post that your mum reads the forum too? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously though... I can't wait to read about the results of this upgrade when you're all finished fella!

Regards,

Rob

Rich, why didn't you just go for the Samco in the first place? I noticed a difference when upgrading this part. Can even hear the turbo spin louder, so has to be freer flowing?

Come on man! You've done the rest properly!

[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:
Rich, why didn't you just go for the Samco in the first place? I noticed a difference when upgrading this part. Can even hear the turbo spin louder, so has to be freer flowing?

Come on man! You've done the rest properly!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mainly cos i wasbt sure if the TT intake would even fit! Didnt want to spend all that money and then find it was wrong. I can change it when i need to at a later date...along with a few more bits and pieces! I just want to get it done really... can upgrade bits at a later date when im not on a schedule.

Ive got as far as fitting the new manifold... the turbo is resting at the back of the engine bay with 3/4 fluid lines connected. tomorrow will see the turbo fitted, intake pipe on, with all other pipes connected.

i finished the intercooler earlier on today so all thats left is to get dome take-offs welded onto the fisrt stainless boost pipe off the turbo for DV and N75.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
shariain said:
sorry what is an n75 valve and what does it do
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Boost pressure solenoid... This tells the actuator when to open the wastegate to the turbo

[ QUOTE ]
shariain said:
how can the wastegate on a scooby chatter without giving a jerky feeling when you drive?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'll find the noise you're refering to is due to the fact that Scoobies have an atmospheric DV, which is heard when you lift off the gas and prevents the turbo stalling, where as the wastgate controls your max boost pressure.

If the wastegate chattered on any turbo it would produce a jerky feel when you were on full boost!

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
I noticed when i removed the turbo that the gasket was cracked between the turbo and manifold in several places! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Cant have been doing the performance any good!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a common failure, I've had two on mine!

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
khufu said:
Gambba, did you ever get your turbo sorted? Maybe richA3Turbo could give you his old one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hes going to need something to avoid getting beaten /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the turbo's all good, had one of my spark plugs come out the other day, which is not good! Now have a slight hesitation problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Rich, you know when you think you're the fastest...well there's always somebody that's quicker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now considering a tweaked Boxster S or a 911 of some sort as my next car.....whichever it is I will be driving it back from the Middle East to challange you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
khufu said:
Gambba, did you ever get your turbo sorted? Maybe richA3Turbo could give you his old one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hes going to need something to avoid getting beaten /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the turbo's all good, had one of my spark plugs come out the other day, which is not good! Now have a slight hesitation problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Rich, you know when you think you're the fastest...well there's always somebody that's quicker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now considering a tweaked Boxster S or a 911 of some sort as my next car.....whichever it is I will be driving it back from the Middle East to challange you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I like a challenge! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif