Shielded induction kit

Davsurfa

Reaction score
Haven't got as far as I wanted to today cuz fitting the induction kit took a little longer than expected. I know it's a simple job to do, but then if I can make it harder I will. So having removed the airbox and MAS

picture.php

I went down the usual route of fitting the adapter plate

picture.php

Then the cone filter

picture.php

Then I took it all off again. Quick trip to the local newsagents for a couple of tins of Relentless and a cardboard box. Spent the next 2 hours cutting, bending straightening and taping the cardboard to make a template. Then cracked out the trusty old angle grinder and attacked a sheet of galvanized steel(1.6 mm) that I aquired from my works(cheers boss).

picture.php

Once again I trimmed a little here and a little there, then drilled a few holes so I could bolt it together(cuz welding galv can be a right b*&%h) and then bolt the MAS in place.

picture.php

Added the cone filter and slotted it all in place. Made a small bracket and mounted it using the original airbox bolts and mounting points and there I have one shielded induction kit.

picture.php

Oh yeah then I fed the cold air feed up and in place after the pic was taken but that now sits down the side of the battery, also there is still the original feed that went in to the airbox so the air flows in from both sides. The idea was not to create an airbox with a cone in but more to shield the cone from the engine heat.

Nice effort mate.
Dont want to spoil your high but your cones still going to suck hot air in unless that sheild sits and forms a seal with the bonnet! Also the piece of stell running down by the battery towards the fron of the car, you should of tuck behind the battery :thumbsup:

yea, I think most people agree that using the standard air box is better than a induction kit!

Nice effort mate.
Dont want to spoil your high but your cones still going to suck hot air in unless that sheild sits and forms a seal with the bonnet! Also the piece of stell running down by the battery towards the fron of the car, you should of tuck behind the battery :thumbsup:

Fair comment, but as I said it wasn't the intention to create a sealed box. To be quite honest it's a 1.6 so it's not gonna make much difference what I do to the engine it'll never be a quick car. The idea of the shield is to keep the worst of the heat away. Also why should it run behind the battery rather than down to the front? I'm curious now. Oh yeah and you ain't spoilin my high LOL.

And in reply to Ollie P, I'm not sure performance wise leaving the stock box on would be better. I understand that the car is setup to run a stock box but I found that when changing from 1st to 2nd and from 3rd to 4th there was a noticeable flat spot in the rev range which has now disappeared. It does seem better at the lower end of the rev range. Although I'm sure the fuel consumption will suffer.

On the plus side I do get the sound to boot :eyebrows:

To help keep it closed off and form a better protection from the engine bay heat and to also help feed the cold air from you air feeds towards the cone.
Well if its a 1.6 then fair play, didnt know what you were running tbh pal.

The joys of vehicle modification is just this :) Someone mods their car then everyone can see different ways of doing it better then the mods get modded. So now(well maybe tomorrow actually) the shield will come off and be changed a little bit. I have 3 more pieces of galv at home so I can always start from scratch. I do appreciate anyones input though, except Impreza drivers!!

Yup totaly agree, creative critism is always welcome. Good luck with altering it.

mate did you seal all those tin edges with rubber?? I was just looking at your red (ICE??) cable and the cable down to your starter motor (i think it is)?? ever seen a short from auto electrics? ouch!

LMAO!! Yes I have, I used window trim from and old 4x4 I had. I took the last pic before the tidying was done. All the edges are now covered cheers.

in A3 1.8L 2000 what difference would it make ?
thx

None, probably make things worse if anything! Try doing a search on this site for induction kits

in A3 1.8L 2000 what difference would it make ?
thx

Tbh I really couldn't tell you, all I know is how it made my car respond. I can't see how it would be detrimental but then I've never fitted one to a 1.8 Audi. I was warned about fitting one to mine but did it anyway and I'm pleased with the outcome. That said I've seen more than one post saying they have fitted one and lost power.

you would loose power and for some reason beleive it hasnt made a difference to yours but noise, and that maybe the reason you think its made a difference

I'm sorry but what a load of crap! Actually I can't hear it unless I'm absolutely caning it. I've noticed it drives differently and so did the missus, she didn't know I'd fitted it cuz I did it whilst she was in work, then I asked her to drive it to see if she noticed any difference. In her words she said "It's more responsive and seems to want to go now."

But I'm sure that whenever anyone makes any modification to an engine it is all just a waste of money and time unless everyone makes the same mods then everyone must get the same result. I'm also pretty positive that companies such as K&N, Pipercross, J Intakes and the such are all lying when they make such claims as being able to increase the responsiveness of any engine.

I'm quite aware of how my car responds after any mods I do to it. I'm not a 17 year old oik who thinks that a loud pipe makes a car faster, at 34 I'm a bit beyond being impressed by noise. If I really wanted to go fast I go back to riding motorbikes. I don't care how much bhp any Audi makes I had bikes that would outstrip any of them so when I feel a difference in the engine I'm capable of noticing it.

Nice effort mate.
agree. also redline mag did a dyno test on your type of engine where a cone lost 15bhp

You did at work?? I'd love to be able to mod my car at work and get paid at the sametime, sounds like you've got it made.

The shield is actually coming off this weekend to be changed a bit but either way I'm still happy with the outcome.

You did at work?? I'd love to be able to mod my car at work and get paid at the sametime, sounds like you've got it made.

No no, my God I wish!! My Queen was at work, I was sat at home on saturday doing it. On the plus side though I do get as much free steel as I need in various thicknesses and profiles and sheet cuz I work for a supplier.

i like what you have done, looking to do the same otherwise K&N wouldn't claim what they have claimed about.

Good man DiKapo!! Think like the good Dr Pepper "What's the worst that can happen?" If you do find that you lose power put the stock box back on and flog the induction kit on ebay. I just find it odd that the VeeDub boys swear by them along with most other people who mod cars but the Audi boys seems to hate them. Bizarre!

the problem isnt slating a modification...the issue here is that other members have tested their cars on RR's with the airbox and without any restriction (straight feed to the engine or turbo - no filter) at all let alone a cone filter...the results were impressive (in favour of the box)which is one of the reasons why the cones arent favoured here..... I dont think the 1.6 has the same airbox as the S3...the S3 has a 4" feed, whereas the 1.8TQ has a 3" so theres a difference right there...id guess the 1.6 may be 3" or smaller.... either way it may be a different set of scenarios...that said if it is roughly the same design as the S3 then my thoughts would be either seal the cone in or forget it.... heat will always be sucked in from the none sealed engine bay in addition to the cold air from the feed...especially under harder acceleration, this heat would be virtually none existant with the standard airbox as it is infact sealed.....

Last edited:
and K&N have been disproven a million times on here with their cone set ups on various cars..... it is pure sales drivel, if you choose to be sucked in, please do so quietly as the amount of evidence on this forum alone proves that they talk crap

for the record the K&N panel filter is supposed to be a good upgrade if you want a little more noise

I haven't at any point claimed any increase in power, just that the car feels more responsive. Also I'm still a little stumped by the obsession with noise making people think the car is then faster????

On the plus side of this thread I have indeed learnt that if I make any form of modification to my car I'll be keeping it to myself. If any of the Moderators on here would remove this thread so that any newer members don't make the same mistake. Also as an update on the rules maybe a small note stating that unless someone owns a rolling road they shouldn't even attempt to make any modification under the bonnet. Who'd thought anyone who dare to come on this forum, or any for that matter, would be stupid enough to even think they'd be capable of noticing any difference in how their car feels. Clearly it's best to just wash and polish the car as long as it's using the Audi-Sport.net approved equipment.

Mate I take my hat off to you for knocking up this mod and sharing it with everyone, this is what a forum is all about.

I know there are a lot of people here that share the same opinions about certain mods without actually trying them for themselves. Its all about trial and error. If you've cleared a flat spot in your rev range then to me that is a worthy mod.

I'd say most owners here are S3 owners and they sometimes forget that different mods work differently on the other 8L platforms and start preaching about what does and doesn't work.

Dont be put offby negative comments because what you've done here may help out another 8L 1.6 owner. Just let it run off your back mate and remember what you've put in your sig D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

can i just add that my comments weren't supposed to be negative...they were meant to point out why you have had the comments that you have had...... im all for trying something new and i cant see myself why people want noise either......

your car may be more responsive, or at least feel it....but in my mind the logic suggests that you have detuned your car based upon some pretty interesting facts (not theory) - im sure you would want someone to tell you if a mod was going to knacker your car!! yet you complain when people pipe up with logical facts.... if all you wanted was encouragement then just ask and im sure people wont share their views which is afterall what a forum is about

your car may be more responsive, or at least feel it....but in my mind the logic suggests that you have detuned your car based upon some pretty interesting facts (not theory)

Logic suggests what physics confirms - hot air into an internal combustion engine will makle less power than cold air, if properly optimised.
That's not just subjective thinking...it's gas laws and physics.

I applaud the work that's gone into the mod...but it strikes me as a tad unfair for someone to re-invent the wheel (badly) and then get all defensive when presented with simple facts, that perhaps their interpretation of the wheels isn't actually as good as the original.

In this instance, the underbonnet temperatures are lower than on a turbo'd car - but still warmer than ambient...so it may make a tad more power top end, but will almost certainly be making less just off idle.

Horses for courses...

Rather than go over what has already been said, personally i will always go for either a BMC CDA (if you have £200 odd for an air box) or standard air box with a BMC filter and maybe if ness an extra cold air feed as well as the standard.
The latter is what i am doing to the S3 as it currently has a cone filter. /2p.

not everyone is going to have the same opinions, therefore if you cant take other peoples opinions then i dont think a PUBLIC forum is for you, not everyone agrees with each other in life, take it on the chin like everyone else does, ALSO i think you made a good job of the heat sheild etc, nice work, but still all my previous post stand.

Westle, I take your advise and my thoughts turn to my signature which is now my opinion. LMAO!! My next mod is to rig up a hairdryer under the bonnet to see just how much I can detune my car and knacker my engine LOL!!

Westle, I take your advise and my thoughts turn to my signature which is now my opinion. LMAO!! My next mod is to rig up a hairdryer under the bonnet to see just how much I can detune my car and knacker my engine LOL!!

Mate, no ones having a pop at you.... just expressing an opinion. Its a public forum so you cant get all shouty when someone offers an opinion you dont agree with.

For what its worth, I ran a cone on my car and it was crap... it stayed on for a week and I returned to a stock airbox with a panel filter in it. All it did was create a load of noise and suck up hot air, the car WAS slower. however thats on a turbo motor. I have run conest etc on N/A motors and not had the same problems, car picked up quicker etc and was better at top end.

If you like it then its all good, its your car after all.

Not getting all shouty and to be quite honest I can't be doing with it all. Like you said it's my car and if I do something to it it's my choice. I'll refrain from responding with any sarcastic or defensive comments.

hand bags at dawn eh........ this forum has been one of the best i have ever had the privilege of joining...... extremely informative with a multitude of personalities to boot.... excellent stuff :D

Dav, you should be proud of what you've done - whether you keep it on or attempt to modify it further is up to you - hat off for trying - just don't forget that the forum, the people and information on it is absolutely invaluable - to ignore that fact will waste you half your life and potentially more money depending on what you plan next

Tim

I bare it in mind. Next is grill removal but I've yet to figure out how.

you'll need to remove the whole bumper IIRC.... do a search, tgheres plenty on it

I'm sure I'll figure it, I only wanna remove the chrome trim not the whole grill. No worries.