Temperature gauge fault need help

a3-se

audi a3-se
Reaction score
hi ppl ive got a audi a3 1.6 on a 52 reg now my problem is temp gauge goes all the way up to 110 degrees as soon as heating is put on temperature falls straight down to 90 degrees any ideas also when car is started in the morning temperature gauge is allready sitting around 70 - 80 degrees so i think my gauge is nackerd because engine itself is running and seems 2 b driving fine plz help

Try temperature sensor first, if its a 4 pin I believe 2 pins control the ECU and 2 the dash. At £25 worth a first stop. But others may be able to advise better.

Is your heater blowing cold air? If so could be thermostat but most likely waterpump.

water pump fine had new thermostat and thermostat housing and heaters blow hot or cold still im thinking dodgey gauge

Very unlikely it's the gauge itself, far more likely to be the temp sender as already said. This is where the gauge gets it's reading from and they are prone to fail and give dodgy readings. It's a far easier and cheaper fix as well.

ok will get my mechanic 2 have a look at that just had engine temperature tested engine is running at between 80 degrees and 90 degrees but gauge is showing it running at 110 degrees so that leaves either gauges are knackerd or temperature sender

Hi. Safe bet with the temp sender mate. The 20v engine is common fault foe the unit to fail.

Rob

Temperature for a start. Easiest job to do.

I have a brand new genuine temperature sender (with clip and O-ring).

If you are interested, send me a pm :)