Loose Heat Shield oon Cat - 2001 A3 1.8T Sport

A3Monster

Faster pussy cat!
Reaction score
Hi,

I've known for a while my 2001 A3 1.8T Sport rattles on cold start up; while it was at the Audi 'Highwaymen' getting the dash replaced, while sniffing about to try and rip me off more, they gleefully pointed out that the Heat Shield on the Cat is loose (no doubt true) and wanted £400 to replace it.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Will a reliable normal garage sort this for less? Does it actually have to be replaced or can it be welded or something? I read that the bolts rust on them.

:blackrs4::uhm:

My guy just took it off... probably not the best solution long term, but it certainly stopped the rattle!

Cheers mate.

Stupid question, exactly what does the heat shield shiled heat from? What are the long term consequences of taking it off? What could get damaged?

Not sure exactly, they usually protect plastic/non-metal bits or fluid lines.

Snap! Got it serviced today and my mechanic took it off as well. Must be more like a 'double safety measure' on the part of Audi putting one there.

And to think Audi wanted £280 for a new one.....:rock::blackrs4:

Took mine off, its only there to stop the mechanics burning themselfs lol, plus abit less weight to pull haha.