Starter motor burn outs? common problem??

lukebuckley

Reaction score
I bought a recon starter motor bout 2 wks ago as the brushes were burnt out. yesturdy the same happened, all brushes burnt! I asked around and have been told it may be a common problm with audis as the guy who replaced the parts has had to do many audis with the same issue?!

Can any1 shed any light on this.. is it an ignition problem, coils maybe?? has any1 heard of a common fault b4?

I was also told that opening the ignition for too long burns them out but im sure i ent doing this particulary in the last 2 wks?

any info much apriciated!!

Rgds
Luke

Ignition switch problem, same thing happened on my A4. The switch becomes worn and the plastic breaks so it doesn't always return to the ignition on after cranking the engine, so you end up with the starter motor cranking the engine whilst the engine is running, not a good idea.
It's an easy fix, just get the part from Audi (its about £12) and follow the tech article on audiworld. It's for the A4 but should be fairly similar.

With mine it was fairly easy to spot as the key was a bit floppy between crank and ignition on. the AA guy actually suggested not having such a heavy bunch of keys on my keyring, no idea if this helped cause the problem but I have since seperated my car keys from all the others.